Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
and I don't walking around trying to oppress and force my culture on others like a good number of Italians, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans tend to do. People of all nationalities annoy me but people from those nationalities tend to irritate me the most.

Guys that call themselves "Big" irritate me.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:44 PM

29 posts, read 101,784 times
Quote:
Guys that call themselves "Big" irritate me.
Hey, I'm 5'10" 275 lbs so I'm just describing what I am.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Hmmm... I say BigTed in 1 round by KO.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I say BigTed in round 2, choke submission.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 AM

445 posts, read 1,343,853 times
As others have pointed out... Isn't it funny how it's called "diversity" when we're talking about non-whites moving into white neighborhoods, but it suddenly becomes a "loss of culture" when it's white people moving into predominantly non-white areas...

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Libertarian (who makes a few philosophical exceptions) and I freely lambaste "Conservative" or "Liberal" dogmatists with the best of them... With that said, a very legitimate criticism of a certain breed of white, "liberally" bent types is this nearly religious fervor that compels them to 'celebrate' non-white cultures at all costs, under any circumstances. At times, this phenomenon can be so intense with these people, it actually comes back around to being a self-loathing mind sickness type thing.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I say BigTed in round 2, choke submission.

DuPage County chimes in. I know what you choke.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Libertarian (who makes a few philosophical exceptions) and I freely lambaste "Conservative" or "Liberal" dogmatists with the best of them... With that said, a very legitimate criticism of a certain breed of white, "liberally" bent types is this nearly religious fervor that compels them to 'celebrate' non-white cultures at all costs, under any circumstances. At times, this phenomenon can be so intense with these people, it actually comes back around to being a self-loathing mind sickness type thing.

Well it's easy being a Libertarian ain't it? You guys know you're never gonna win any important elections, run any governments or have any responsibility.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-29-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
That's just it, nobody is supporting just "one" dominant culture, they are supporting the numerous cultures that belong to the numerous unique seperate neighborhoods in Chicago that are being whiped out and cleansed by these hispsters.
Cul-ture [kuhl-cher] – The quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in the arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

Granted, that’s not the only definition but it's a workable one. So I’m not sure I buy into the whole "gentrification ruins culture" thing. Most gentrifying urban neighborhoods gain a lot of what most people would call culture -- art galleries, diverse restaurants, used book stores, coffee shops, neat corner bars with live music, record stores, antique stores, etc. An influx of educated new residents tends to bring more interesting things to a neighborhood.

If anything, most low income and lower middle class neighborhoods suffer a lack of culture -- fast food restaurants, a bazillion taquerias, dollar stores, liquor stores, and a population of homogenous uneducated residents who are usually of the same demographic group, and not overly sophisticated or open to new things.

Not trying to diss lower middle class neighborhoods -- people who live there are comfortable and they have a place in the grand scheme. But to say “culture” gets destroyed by gentrification? Not really.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
DuPage County chimes in. I know what you choke.
Kentuckians.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Cul-ture [kuhl-cher] – The quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in the arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

Granted, that’s not the only definition but it's a workable one. So I’m not sure I buy into the whole "gentrification ruins culture" thing. Most gentrifying urban neighborhoods gain a lot of what most people would call culture -- art galleries, diverse restaurants, used book stores, coffee shops, neat corner bars with live music, record stores, antique stores, etc. An influx of educated new residents tends to bring more interesting things to a neighborhood.

If anything, most low income and lower middle class neighborhoods suffer a lack of culture -- fast food restaurants, a bazillion taquerias, dollar stores, liquor stores, and a population of homogenous uneducated residents who are usually of the same demographic group, and not overly sophisticated or open to new things.

Not trying to diss lower middle class neighborhoods -- people who live there are comfortable and they have a place in the grand scheme. But to say “culture” gets destroyed by gentrification? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago