Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My friends were talking on the way up to Belmont from Diversey last night how they've seen a HUGE increase in the number of open meters in the past few weeks. All along Halsted and Clark.

I looked and it was true, at 7pm the entire street was wide open for parking. No one even thinks about it anymore unless they have a bucket of quarters.
That's been my experience as well. All of a sudden, there aren't any cars parked out on the streets where I was used to not being able to find a spot at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I've noticed a lot of empty spots along North in WP -- even during busy times. I wonder how much of this has to do with the new rates and how much has to do with the lousy economy? I would assume it's a combo of both.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Let's all join forces and spray paint them.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Hey, you people can avoid all these parking meter problems if you do 51 mile bmx bike rides to and from work, the groceries, you SO, and etc! YEAH! And you'd be TOTALLY ALPHA doing this! Pull some bmx freestyle moves to look ULTRABAD Cool while riding! - From DA MAN! Or DA WOMAN!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
We actaully got yelled at once when a college buddy of mine had a nice prank to pull on the meter sally's. We got a bag of change $50.00 in quarters and we found a parking checker going down the street checking all the cars. Well we were one car ahead of him putting money in peoples meters to **** off the checker after a block he yelled out " what the hell is your problem, let me do my job" he said. We laughed and kept doing it b/c there is nothing wrong with feeding someone else's meter. He later drove off and came back with a cop so we split. But I make it a habit if I see a parking checker about to ticket someone I will walk up to the car as if it's mine and wait for him to drive away then I just get back into my car.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've noticed a lot of empty spots along North in WP -- even during busy times. I wonder how much of this has to do with the new rates and how much has to do with the lousy economy? I would assume it's a combo of both.
I don't think so............

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I don't think so............
Welcome back, how was your vacation?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM

281 posts, read 928,320 times
I work in the West Loop area (Van Buren & Canal). The number of empty spaces on a weekday is astounding. A year ago I had to park all the way to Green Street when I drove to work on a Saturday. I simply won't bring my automobile into the city any more. With the parking and the 11% sales tax for the Stroger Family Relief Fund, the utterly unnecessary expense of doing anything in Chicago has gone completely over the top. And now the state wants to set up electronic speed traps on the expressways.

One of the nicest things about Chicago used to be how inexpensive things were compared to other big American cities. No more. I hope to God this revolt continues to build till the Assembly/Board/Council all get the idea that these turnips are pretty much bled out and aren't going to put up with it any more.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Welcome back, how was your vacation?
I actually just got back from AC (Atlantic City) this afternoon. Spent the night there and had a blast along with winning a few bucs!....

Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I actually just got back from AC (Atlantic City) this afternoon. Spent the night there and had a blast along with winning a few bucs!....
Liar Liar Pants on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago