U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,256,689 times

Advertisements

I am looking to rent an apartment in this area -- near Marine Dr and Ainslie.

I'd like some feedback on the area itself -- parking, safety, convenience, etc.

I have two kids, and it would only be for a short time this Summer.

Anything I should know before I commit????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 9,717,331 times
first of all, Ainslie and Marine isn't Lakeview, it's Uptown. and Uptown can be sketchy.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
first of all, Ainslie and Marine isn't Lakeview, it's Uptown. and Uptown can be sketchy.
Ah ... good to know. Thanks!

Maybe I should look South of there? Lincoln Park?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,922,711 times
If finances aren't an issue, look in Lakeview (which is south of Uptown; the northern boundary of Lakeview is Irving Park Road) or even Lincoln Park (south of Lakeview). Both Lakeview and Lincoln Park are very kid friendly/safe in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,335,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Ah ... good to know. Thanks!

Maybe I should look South of there? Lincoln Park?
If you can afford Lincoln Park (which is between Diversey and North near the lake) or Lake View (which is between Irving Park and Diversey near the lake) they are way preferable to Uptown.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,710,681 times
If you live in Uptown along the lakefront, stay south of Montrose if you are new to the city. Actually, stay south of Junior Terrace. The Uptown lakefront up through the Imperial Towers is quite nice and very safe--and offers a considerable price discount over Lakeview. If you're new to town, it's often best to just get familiar with a place like Lakeview first, and then branch out.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 PM

838 posts, read 2,947,081 times
Sam,

Be careful when you are offered an apt in a specific neighborhood cuz realtors and landlords use gimmicks to rent their apts and they often mix up neighborhoods. For instance, I have seen realtors label part of uptown as andersonville, or old town as gold coast, river north as gold coast, wicker park as bucktown, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I am looking to rent an apartment in this area -- near Marine Dr and Ainslie.

I'd like some feedback on the area itself -- parking, safety, convenience, etc.

I have two kids, and it would only be for a short time this Summer.

Anything I should know before I commit????

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,710,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Sam,

Be careful when you are offered an apt in a specific neighborhood cuz realtors and landlords use gimmicks to rent their apts and they often mix up neighborhoods. For instance, I have seen realtors label part of uptown as andersonville, or old town as gold coast, river north as gold coast, wicker park as bucktown, etc.
Back in 1999, a friend of mine was led by Apartment People to believe that the apartment she was leasing near Montrose and Wolcott was in "Wrigleyville". But at least that area was safe (and mostly Latino at that time).

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 9,717,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Back in 1999, a friend of mine was led by Apartment People to believe that the apartment she was leasing near Montrose and Wolcott was in "Wrigleyville". But at least that area was safe (and mostly Latino at that time).
if you ever look in the Red Eye, there is someone saying that Pensacola Place Apts. are in Wrigleyville.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
Sam,

Yes, it seems like this was the case for me! I think I will bite the bullet and spend a little more in Lincoln Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago