Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM

18 posts, read 46,691 times

Advertisements

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me,

I currently live in Iowa with my family, we are doing an international move, flying out from chicago O'Hare. We are going to be taking Amtrack from Iowa into illinois and i was wondering if anyone knows which is the closest amtrack station to the airport? also we will need a hotel within the same vacinity as we intend to stop in chicago a couple of days before we fly out.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM

607 posts, read 1,334,238 times
I'm pretty sure the Glenview station is the closest to O'Hare. It's not really close to downtown, though, as far as doing things in the city. It's easy to take public transport from the Amtrak downtown to the airport if you don't have too much to carry.

No idea about hotels in Glenview. Good luck in your move!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET FROM GLENVIEW TO OHARE -- not closest by a longshot.

First, if you have bought tickets from Iowa to Chicago via Amtrak you will be coming into Union Station. If you want to VISIT Chicago you should simple take your luggage from Union Station to a downtown hotel. It will be EXPENSIVE, but I sorta assume that with the INTERNATIONAL MOVE you might have a little cushion. My suggestion would be to stay at hotel on North Michigan Ave, enjoy the place! When you need to get to OHare you COULD go back to Union Station and take a Metrarail COMMUTER train out to the remote parking lots of the airport via the North Central Service line,Metra / North Central Service Schedules but it is NOT set up very conveniently and you would almost certainly be better off taking the Blue Line CTA train, but, if you are staying at a swanky hotel why not just get a cab or limo right from the hotel????

If this INTERNATIONAL MOVE is not a going away present on somebody else's dime and you want to do this "on the cheap" there are ways to economize -- you could stay at a cheaper hotel, but I would hesitate to recommend any unless you give more details about what you want to visit while in Chicago...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
I would agree that Glenview is simply not a good option. I think the METRA Commuter rail to O'Hare would be more convenient if you were planning to go straight to O'Hare after getting off the AMTRAK, since this METRA line comes into the same station- Union Station. But, if you are planning to stay a couple of days in Chicago, it would be best to take the CTA blue line, as it comes closer to a lot of the attractions that you would want to see, runs every 3-15 minutes depending on time of day (24/7), and takes you right to the terminal. Check out Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago