Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM

53 posts, read 125,164 times

Advertisements

Alright, so my boyfriend and I went to visit Chicago in early November and loved it. We went to visit a film school that he was interested in going to. We fell in love with the city, and the school and have decided to move there. Everyone thinks that we are crazy and that we aren't going to make it. We are from a small town in Indiana, and leaving this small town and going to a city is going to be different but we are ready for the change. We are a young couple (we are both 22), so keep that in mind when you read the rest of my questions. Anyway, when we move up there my boyfriend is going to be at school 40 hours a week, and I am going to be working. I will have an Associates Degree in Marketing (I graduate in May). We will probably be living off my income but he hopes to find a part time job. I also want to find a job as a dance or cheerleading coach part time. So I guess my question is are we going to be able to survive on my income from a full time job and a part time job? Also, I have been looking at apartments on Craigslist and stuff and have found a few that are less than 600 a month (we aren't looking for anything special or big..a studio is fine). I was just wondering are there any neighborhoods that we should stay away from? Are we crazy to think that we can find an apartment for 650 or less in a decent neighborhood? Should we live in the suburbs or is that going to be a waste of our time because we will have to be in the city everyday? Also, how soon should we look for an apartment before we move up there (moving up there in August, and we are going to visit a few more times so that he can get stuff ready for school) Personally, I think that we are going to be okay, since we aren't going to try and be expensive or waste our money. We also have 6,000 bucks saved up for emergency money.
I guess I am just looking for some advice from some people that have been there, if anyone has any. I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Well it really depends on how much your expecting to make... Based on what your trying to do I would not recommend it. I think you would be fishing out of your "emergency" money sooner then you think. To do many things in Chicago it costs money. Also if you do not have a job lined up it may be very hard for you to find. I know my girlfriend has been looking for a part time job for a while and had no luck. Since you would be on a very tight budget I would also be careful of moving to a sketchy area and have your safety as a first priority

Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Where there is a will there is a way.

Can your BF not work 10-20 hours a week to help out? It seems like too much of the burden is going to be falling on you.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM

53 posts, read 125,164 times
Oh he plans on trying to find a part time job after he starts his classes and gets into the swing of things...but we would probably use the money he makes for groceries so everything else would be on me. Of course he has worked the last 2 years while I worked part time and went to college.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 PM

29 posts, read 88,654 times
You can get decent apts for 650 in McKinley Park. Not dangerous (in my experience or the experiences of my half dozen friends who live there) nor far from downtown. Though not that exciting for two 22 year olds, I would imagine there would be plenty of student filmmakers in Bridgeport and Pilsen, so classmates should be fairly nearby.

Drive around the area see if you like, and look for "For Rent" signs, don't just rely on craigslist.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times
stay in small town indiana pleas, thank you :P

Old 12-14-2008, 08:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
You can find a studio in a decent neighborhood for 650.00. As a matter of fact, you can even find that in East Lakeview. I just passed a Realty and Mortgage Co. apartment building (try googling that company as they have lots of buildings) today on N. Pine Grove between Addison and Irving Park in a great part of Lakeview that has studios in that range. p.s. that company has two buildings on Pine Grove...3600 block and 3900 block

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM

161 posts, read 411,668 times
Default Logan Square

You can pretty much guess what I am going to say by my name, the subject of this email, and this intro. Move to Logan Square. You can probably find a one bedroom for about that much with no utilities, but in Chicago, it is best to pay extra for utilities included, as you don't want to skimp there and if you can't afford the amount with utilities included, you might find you can't afford your heat in winter! LS has the blue line that goes downtown for his school. With regards to safety in moving to a Chicago neighborhoods check the number of murders per year, the number of batteries, and the number of rapes for a good indication of safety. LS is low in those areas relatively, though petty theft, pot (weed) convictions, and other crimes are pretty high compared to other neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2050 View Post
Alright, so my boyfriend and I went to visit Chicago in early November and loved it. We went to visit a film school that he was interested in going to. We fell in love with the city, and the school and have decided to move there. Everyone thinks that we are crazy and that we aren't going to make it. We are from a small town in Indiana, and leaving this small town and going to a city is going to be different but we are ready for the change. We are a young couple (we are both 22), so keep that in mind when you read the rest of my questions. Anyway, when we move up there my boyfriend is going to be at school 40 hours a week, and I am going to be working. I will have an Associates Degree in Marketing (I graduate in May). We will probably be living off my income but he hopes to find a part time job. I also want to find a job as a dance or cheerleading coach part time. So I guess my question is are we going to be able to survive on my income from a full time job and a part time job? Also, I have been looking at apartments on Craigslist and stuff and have found a few that are less than 600 a month (we aren't looking for anything special or big..a studio is fine). I was just wondering are there any neighborhoods that we should stay away from? Are we crazy to think that we can find an apartment for 650 or less in a decent neighborhood? Should we live in the suburbs or is that going to be a waste of our time because we will have to be in the city everyday? Also, how soon should we look for an apartment before we move up there (moving up there in August, and we are going to visit a few more times so that he can get stuff ready for school) Personally, I think that we are going to be okay, since we aren't going to try and be expensive or waste our money. We also have 6,000 bucks saved up for emergency money.
I guess I am just looking for some advice from some people that have been there, if anyone has any. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2050 View Post
Oh he plans on trying to find a part time job after he starts his classes...
Ok. I was just checking.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
...I just passed a Realty and Mortgage Co. apartment building... p.s. that company has two buildings on Pine Grove...3600 block and 3900 block
Stay away from the one in the 3600 block. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago