Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,121,868 times

Advertisements

What people don't realize about Chicago is that the gang problem was much worse from 1919-1933 than it is now. The paper today said the city averaged one policeman killed each month during that time peroid, much worse than now. And more civilians were killed by gang gunfire, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
I suspect gangs emerge from dominance caused by poverty or greed. I think even good pepple who are hungry and can't beg or borrow food for their children will steal it. And if they can't afford medicine for the sick baby they will rob to get it. This is extremem measures for extrememe situations. The NY Mafia moved into Chicago and started 'protection rackets' in the form of "vig" taken from business owners. The idea was "pay us" and your business will not be destroyed and shot up by us. Capone controlled the vig for the Chicago Boss and branched into bootleg booze, slots and illegal betting. Drug use started for real in the '60s with Timothy Leary and Columbia gold. It was followed by rebellion against the Vietnam War, students shot at Kent State in Ohio, the underground movement against DC politicians and society in generat. On the heels of it came Malcom X. Today its drugs. The billion dollar industry that sells death by self-destruction.

It's the same throughout history. In the wild west stagecoach robbers started out hungry. They found the pickins were good and they had a market for the stollen goods. Today theives steal million dollar paintings and sell them to a 'fence;. Same-o, same-o. History repeats itself unto extinction like the Romans.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 11,300,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Umm yeah I know that. I and many others think it is a stupid nickname.

Most people that were born and raised here (or know better) do not ever say "Chi."
'Roots In The Chi'

Title of a song by a Chicago rapper named E.C.

Amazon.com: Illa Lp: E.C. Illa: Music

Chi is probably used more in the streets. It's similar to the word Frisco. I've heard some San Francisco people claim that Frisco isn't used by actual San Francisco residents but it's used by San Francisco residents who are close to the streets there. I guess it depends on which neighborhood you live in.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
'Roots In The Chi'

Chi is probably used more in the streets. It's similar to the word Frisco. I've heard some San Francisco people claim that Frisco isn't used by actual San Francisco residents but it's used by San Francisco residents who are close to the streets there. I guess it depends on which neighborhood you live in.
Sorry I do not count rap Ebonics as an accurate representative of any city's residents including Chicago's.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,214,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Sorry I do not count rap Ebonics as an accurate representative of any city's residents including Chicago's.
Well I do, so

Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,347,527 times
Quote:
'Roots In The Chi'

Well "in the streets" most people who are born and raised in Chicago normally refer to it as plainly "the city" or "The Go"- "The Chi" or "Chi-Town" was a term used during the 60s and 70s when Chicago had a lot of local R&B talents who started to become well known during the same period as Detroit's ("Mo-Town") local talent started to make a named for themselves (Chi-town- Mo-town rivary).

Quote:
Well what's missing here especially in Black areas is Black entreprenurship.

Black-Americans for a variety of reasons have a low rate of business ownership. This affects job and wealth building opportunities for Black areas. This situation isn't just in Chicago but across the nation. So until there is an increase in Black entreprenurship(especially from college educated Blacks) nationwide too many Black areas will continue to have problems with joblessness and poverty and all that comes with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
On that note, out of curiosity I've spent the last few weekends walking several miles along the main business strips west of cottage grove between 63rd and 95th. The most striking thing is that 90% of the food establishments seem to be owned by Middle Easterners and apparently very few are run by blacks. I was expecting this but not to such a great extent.

Can anyone back up my anecdotal impression? I just popped my head in about fifty places, didn't interview the people in the stores.
ajolotl, if you did walk between 63rd and 95th you probably would have noticed that there are a lot of business that thrive there, but wouldn't thrive in all white areas. Like Motion said- in the prodominently Black low income neighborhoods we lack Black businesses- so outsiders see these places as cash cows that they can only take from and not give back to the community. Next time any of you are feeling adventurous drive down West on Madsion Ave or south on King Dr. and count how many (liquor stores, corner stores, fast food resturants, beauty supply stores, corner churches, Check n' to Cash places, Currency Exchanges) you see and then go back to your neighborhood and count the same thing. So not only are the gangs stealing the life out of Black neighborhoods- outsiders who have their business here and don't live here are doing the same...But then again that's the American way- it's up to the people who live in the neighborhood to do something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago