Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM

838 posts, read 3,098,279 times

Advertisements

my neighbor says shes cutting back on nanny service and chauffeur services, but will still go for her botox treatment, though she will be driving herself in her maserati. What is your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,530 times
I just cancelled HBO... But I was already planning that since True Blood and Entourage are over for a while

Old 12-18-2008, 03:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Hmm, might it take a DEPRESSION before TV services ash can bundles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I just cancelled HBO... But I was already planning that since True Blood and Entourage are over for a while

I suspect that the foretold "sky is falling" will not be real until can call Comcast or DishNetwork and say "cancel HBO" and they actually reduce your monthly bill by some measurable amount instead of telling you how if you break the package it'll cost you MORE to have showtime w/o HBO...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
I won't let go of any services, for some reason the recession isn't affecting my wife and I yet. We just bought a car and had no problem getting a loan. I just landed a great job and my wife just got a raise. We recently went to Las Vegas and came back with $500.00 extra bucks! I'm thanking God and counting my lucky stars, oh we just got approved for our home loan as well. Married and single and we both work in finance so how are we dodging the bullets? I don't know and none of my friends are losing their jobs or cutting back at all. So recession smession!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:38 PM

RIght on, Milwaukee! more power to ya? Did you get a Maserati as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I won't let go of any services, for some reason the recession isn't affecting my wife and I yet. We just bought a car and had no problem getting a loan. I just landed a great job and my wife just got a raise. We recently went to Las Vegas and came back with $500.00 extra bucks! I'm thanking God and counting my lucky stars, oh we just got approved for our home loan as well. Married and single and we both work in finance so how are we dodging the bullets? I don't know and none of my friends are losing their jobs or cutting back at all. So recession smession!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Congratulations?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Oh LincolnParker come off it.

I mean... right? The designer shoes and the Maserati and the chauffeur services...

If you drop one more name, you'll simply have to pick it up yourself.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I wonder if cities like Milwaukee might be a little better positioned than other places -- did not see the run up in real estate prices, probably means overall lower cost of living. Exposure to money center banks is different too -- much more of the "normal" business lending and more straightforward consumer lending than the "finacial capitals".

Not to say that Milwaukee is a backwater -- they did have a big presence for Strong Funds, and WellFargo has had a good sized outpost there too. Might actually be a good thing -- if the workers are competent and lower cost of living they can probably carry some weight from other higher cost offices in the WF system...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM

Yeah, I agree. Second or third tier cities are doing very well if not booming in this economy. Look at twin cities, Milwaukee, Richmond VA. They are all expanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I wonder if cities like Milwaukee might be a little better positioned than other places -- did not see the run up in real estate prices, probably means overall lower cost of living. Exposure to money center banks is different too -- much more of the "normal" business lending and more straightforward consumer lending than the "finacial capitals".

Not to say that Milwaukee is a backwater -- they did have a big presence for Strong Funds, and WellFargo has had a good sized outpost there too. Might actually be a good thing -- if the workers are competent and lower cost of living they can probably carry some weight from other higher cost offices in the WF system...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
RIght on, Milwaukee! more power to ya? Did you get a Maserati as well?
No I came down to Chicago to buy a SAAB 9-5 AERO, Loaded!!!

Quote:
Well Milwaukee has a lot of financial jobs like Chicago(strong funds, Northwestern Mutual, Baird Co, MGIC) and the list goes on. Milwaukee area is know for being frugal however if you haven't seen Milw's east side or downtown we have high-rise condos still going up everywhere oddly enough a lot of the projects are being done and financed by Chicago firms. Housing sales from this Oct compared to Last Oct are actually up 3.3% in the Upper Eastside area down to the 5th Ward. The rest of Milw took a huge hit. Thanks to Chicagoians buying second homes in Milw has helped to.

MetroMilwaukee.org: Your guide to Milwaukee relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago