Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM

71 posts, read 202,242 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Chicago in June or July. My older sister already lives in the Ravenswood area so she will be able to help me out and give me advice once I'm there. I have a degree in Hospitality Management and my bf is a CNA at a nursing home. Anyway our plan is to use our tax returns ($2000-$3000) to help us move and provide a little buffer. We plan on coming down for a visit in June and looking at apartments (maybe sign a lease) and (hopfully) get a few interviews and/or secure jobs. We would like to get a place around Ravenswood or lakeview and plan on spending about $850 on rent tops. Does this sound reasonable? Any opinion? Words of encouragement or discouragement? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM

103 posts, read 322,574 times
I know that you MAY be able to find a studio for $850 in the Lakeview area, but probably not a one-bedroom and DEFINITELY not a two-bedroom. Just depends on what you're wanting. If you know anything about the Lakeview area, it along with bordering Lincoln Park run decently high. I don't know much about Ravenswood but I am gonna say it's cheaper.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Yeah lakeview is probably not going to happen, but you never know. We only need a one bedroom and I've seen a few in the SunTimes for around that plus a lot online. Ravenswood area is cheaper although not a lot from what I see anyway.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,107 times
thats not reasonable for 2 people in lakeview imo. I would look into different areas.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogStar5988 View Post
Yeah lakeview is probably not going to happen, but you never know. We only need a one bedroom and I've seen a few in the SunTimes for around that plus a lot online. Ravenswood area is cheaper although not a lot from what I see anyway.
You might be able to pull of a 1 br at that price in Lakeview. When you come down, just walk/drive up and down the sidestreets. You'll see a lot of units up for rent that don't make it up on craigslist or the reader.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
I do not want to discourage you, because you are doing something similar to what I did.

Just remember that 2000 - 3000 dollars goes pretty quickly in chicago. In order to move in your going to have to put down a deposit and first months rent. So if your apartment is 850 dollars you are looking at 1700 dollars before you even move in.

My suggestion would be to look at other areas of the city that are a bit off the beaten path. I understand you probably want to live in Ravenswood because your sister lives there. However, you can save quite a bit of money by moving into other areas on the north side.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I do not want to discourage you, because you are doing something similar to what I did.

Just remember that 2000 - 3000 dollars goes pretty quickly in chicago. In order to move in your going to have to put down a deposit and first months rent. So if your apartment is 850 dollars you are looking at 1700 dollars before you even move in.

My suggestion would be to look at other areas of the city that are a bit off the beaten path. I understand you probably want to live in Ravenswood because your sister lives there. However, you can save quite a bit of money by moving into other areas on the north side.
Also good advice. I think you'll see once you get up here that there's no reason to restrict yourselves to those two neighborhoods.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM

My sister and her boyfriend moved to Chicago without jobs at all and no extra money and she insists that I will be more than secure with that amount of money. She and my boyfriend seem to think everything will go fantasticly....I on the other hand have a little more realistic approach and tend to agree that 2-3 thousand is on the low side and am trying to plan for worse-case senarios as best I can with my limited knowledge and fear of cities. So basicly I am thinking we will not be making much more than we are now and will be paying a lot more in rent and other expenses. So basically I agree that a could never come there with too much money or be too prepared. Yikes I'm freaking myself out. Thanks for the replies

Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

131 posts, read 356,446 times
I think you should take the middle ground between your sister's laissez-faire approach and completely freaking out, easier said than done I know.
You're taking the right steps, keep us posted!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogStar5988 View Post
My sister and her boyfriend moved to Chicago without jobs at all and no extra money and she insists that I will be more than secure with that amount of money. She and my boyfriend seem to think everything will go fantasticly....I on the other hand have a little more realistic approach and tend to agree that 2-3 thousand is on the low side and am trying to plan for worse-case senarios as best I can with my limited knowledge and fear of cities. So basicly I am thinking we will not be making much more than we are now and will be paying a lot more in rent and other expenses. So basically I agree that a could never come there with too much money or be too prepared. Yikes I'm freaking myself out. Thanks for the replies
yeah, but did she make this major move BEFORE the current recession? granted, you guys are in nursing/health care, so you should hopefully have an easier time looking for a job.

I agree that $2k may be somewhat low. when I first moved to Chicago, I have around $3k saved up, and saw nearly a third of that go bye-bye just in deposits for the ROOM I was renting. thankfully, that room was furnished, so I didn't have to worry about that expense. I moved into a two bedroom apartment over the summer and surprised myself by how much it costs to furnish an apartment, even w/ used furniture and junk from Salvation Army: nearly $1k just in cheap furniture (new bed, used couch, tables, and bookcases), $500+ in appliances, supplies, and decorations, and another chunk of money just to turn on or start several utilities (granted, my credit is admittedly not that pretty, but even Comcast requires a nearly $100 just to install service, regardless of credit)

I would say $2k is a good amount to set aside for cheap furnishing and very basic stuff (first grocery trip for example), but your budget will be shot if you have to pay hefty deposits (1st, last, and a security deposit for a place that's $850 will deplete your savings, and then some!).

don't worry though, it can be done, even in this crap economy, but you'll just have to make some decisions about how "comfortable" you want to live (do you need a car? a super renovated apartment? junk from Crate & Barrel?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: