Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

just a little bumparoo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,869,208 times
Not much work in that area. I have one of a few international staffs and am asked that question all the time. In the U.S. the best city for international work is Washington, D.C. and then New York.

D.C. has the State Department. Also many Federal agencies have international offices. NGO types have their main offices in D.C. many times. NY has the UN and agencies that are connected to that.

Its not impossible to find an international job in Chicago but the pickings are slim.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah that is what I am thinking... I guess I can always try but definitely won't move there again (Chicago) without first securing something. The eventual plan was to work there then do an MBA @ Northwestern 10 or so years down the road as I have family ties there.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM

one more time, ...

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
just a little bumparoo...
Quote:
one more time, ...
Don't let there be a third.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,943,139 times
hey...the CIA is hiring! You can always try out that IR degree with them!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There are at least a few Consulates in Chicago. And the Chicago Board of Trade might be able to use an International Relations skill set, along with any other multi-national company that does business in countries all over the world (and of course, Chicago has many of these). If you want to work in Chicago with your International Relations background, there are definitely opportunities.
Yeah I am looking more at Trade and Economic aspects, would be nice in a NGO, but more than likely will end up at a multinational company due to my background (I previously worked for 2 in chicago, JPMorgan Chase and an insurance software company in their IT depts.)... my concentration is economics and I am taking the same classes an Applied Economics Masters would do, just not the whole breadth, also same classes as a Political Science Masters in INR, again just not the whole breadth added to that is special International Relations Seminar classes. This is why I thought there might be some good opportunity in Chicago as well...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Quote:
Yeah I am looking more at Trade and Economic aspects, would be nice in a NGO, but more than likely will end up at a multinational company due to my background (I previously worked for 2 in chicago, JPMorgan Chase and an insurance software company in their IT depts.)... my concentration is economics and I am taking the same classes an Applied Economics Masters would do, just not the whole breadth, also same classes as a Political Science Masters in INR, again just not the whole breadth added to that is special International Relations Seminar classes. This is why I thought there might be some good opportunity in Chicago as well...
Maybe there are. International relations does not necessarily mean "government". Like I said before, in Chicago your best bets will be companies that do business overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago