Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times

Advertisements

I would really like it if the L ran to at least 119th street. If that's not reasonable, then why not 103rd street?

It's ridiculous the traveling I have to do just to get to the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
^ Take the Metra. ^

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ah the loop is a very good idea. It acts as a central terminal for almost all el lines. It allows easy cross-town trips (all you need to do is get off and catch the next train). Without the loop you would have a situation like Metra were trains arrive at different terminals---not very convenient if you need to get another. Crowding on the loop is a minor issue (in fact the loop was more crowded before the 50ies). The trouble with underground is the cost.
The Loop was a great idea. I can't think of another mass transit system that has something as convenient as the loop. METRA wasn't meant to take people anywhere other than the Loop. The loop is more crowded today than at any other point in time. Something like 700,000 (I could be off) people commute to the loop Monday-Friday for work. As we all know, the Loop is only 5x7 square blocks. Anyway, the loop is great, but the pointless trips are kind of a hassle.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ Take the Metra. ^
I find the ride on the L more ordinary and not full of yuppies and older guys on blackberries and reading extra large newspapers. Sometimes it's for a change of scenery.

Plus, the L takes me to places the Metra doesn't and it's cheaper.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I find the ride on the L more ordinary and not full of yuppies and older guys on blackberries and reading extra large newspapers. Sometimes it's for a change of scenery.

Plus, the L takes me to places the Metra doesn't and it's cheaper.
Haha my dad and I take the METRA every morning! I take the CTA sometimes if I start class later and don't feel like walking from Union Station or waiting for a bus that never seems to come.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Haha my dad and I take the METRA every morning! I take the CTA sometimes if I start class later and don't feel like walking from Union Station or waiting for a bus that never seems to come.
I remember when I was living in the city, going to high school trying to make a decision every morning to either walk a long way or just hop on the L and not have to workout to get to school =)

You know which choice I made most of the time haha But sometimes I had those days where I wanted quiet, so I would take Metra

Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I remember when I was in high school trying to make a decision every morning to either walk a long way or just hop on the L and not have to workout to get to school =)

You know which choice I made most of the time haha But sometimes I had those days where I wanted quiet, so I would take Metra
Yeah...I went to High School in the suburbs...I go to UIC now so the train is my way of travel...but I'm transferring next year.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Yeah...I went to High School in the suburbs...I go to UIC now so the train is my way of travel...but I'm transferring next year.
I've got a few friends who go to UIC too, they tell me that they drive, and I just shake my head lol.

Transferring out of the city? (sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I'm just curious)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ Take the Metra. ^
So you have a problem with the red line extension, which should have been done YEARS ago?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I've got a few friends who go to UIC too, they tell me that they drive, and I just shake my head lol.

Transferring out of the city? (sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I'm just curious)
Yeah to Champaign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago