Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Personally, I like my proposed alignment better than the old Westchester line, because it connects to Loyola, a huge job site. Plus, much of the old ROW for the Westchester line south of the Ike doesn't exist anymore without using extensive eminent domain.
It looks like it started at 25th, ran west to Manheim, and then south down Manheim to Cermak Rd.

Chicago ''L''.org: Operations - Lines -> Westchester branch

I've tried my tail off to see where down Manheim it ran. I can't see it. It's very built up on Manheim from I-290 to Cermak. So you're right, it would probably take a lot of land, including residential property, to reinstate it. And it would miss that large medical job site of Hines/Loyola.

The branch itself, south of Bellwood, simply fell into disuse and the rails, stations, and other infrastructure were eventually removed. However, there are several remnants of the Westchester branch in Bellwood and Westchester. Although there is nothing as obvious as tracks or stations, there are numerous places where the path of the right-of-way is still clearly evident because of unusual linear open spaces, the path of telephone poles, or the way other infrastructure is placed to accommodate the long-gone line. For instance, the bridge that took the Illinois Central's Iowa Division over the branch is still present, although part of the passage underneath has been filled in. In addition, Roosevelt Road has a odd rise in it west of Westchester Boulevard, where it once went up and over the "L" tracks. Rather than re-level the street, the viaduct was simply filled in, leaving the profile intact.

The current occupant of location of the Mannheim/22nd station is the Mid-America Bank in Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM

71 posts, read 194,995 times
"Orange Line extension south of Ford City, maybe to Orland Square?"

How far is Orland Square from Ford City?
It sound like a cool idea to me
I would love to extend the Pink Line to the Brookfield Zoo

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEI View Post
"Orange Line extension south of Ford City, maybe to Orland Square?"

How far is Orland Square from Ford City?
It sound like a cool idea to me
I would love to extend the Pink Line to the Brookfield Zoo
My proposed Pink Line extension could give you an express bus to the Zoo from the 1st Ave./Cermak stop. It would be 3-5 minutes from there. I doubt we could justify building a rail line to it, unless you wanted to take part of the Riverside Golf Club or some residential properties in Broadview.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Looks like the Westchester line ran from FP along what is now the Prairie path then turned south along Marshall, then thru what is now Gladstone park, then down a ROW just east if Balmoral to terminate ar Cermak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It looks like it started at 25th, ran west to Manheim, and then south down Manheim to Cermak Rd.

Chicago ''L''.org: Operations - Lines -> Westchester branch

I've tried my tail off to see where down Manheim it ran. I can't see it. It's very built up on Manheim from I-290 to Cermak. So you're right, it would probably take a lot of land, including residential property, to reinstate it. And it would miss that large medical job site of Hines/Loyola.

The branch itself, south of Bellwood, simply fell into disuse and the rails, stations, and other infrastructure were eventually removed. However, there are several remnants of the Westchester branch in Bellwood and Westchester. Although there is nothing as obvious as tracks or stations, there are numerous places where the path of the right-of-way is still clearly evident because of unusual linear open spaces, the path of telephone poles, or the way other infrastructure is placed to accommodate the long-gone line. For instance, the bridge that took the Illinois Central's Iowa Division over the branch is still present, although part of the passage underneath has been filled in. In addition, Roosevelt Road has a odd rise in it west of Westchester Boulevard, where it once went up and over the "L" tracks. Rather than re-level the street, the viaduct was simply filled in, leaving the profile intact.

The current occupant of location of the Mannheim/22nd station is the Mid-America Bank in Westchester.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:46 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Oh forgot to mention. IDOT is currently planning reconstruction of the Ike with possible widening. As part of the alternative analysis phase, they are supposedly looking at mass transit expansion as an alternative to widening. Theoretically, they could spend the money on blue line extension instead of widening, especially if OP residents are successful in obstructing Ike expansion. Will it happen? I doubt it, but at least there is a feasible funding source.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
In addition to the suggestions already mentioned.
A north south line through densely populated inner ring western suburbs connecting O'Hare & Midway with connections to the Metra lines it crosses. Extension of Blue line to connect with this outer ring line in the Western Suburbs. A north south connector running along Cicero, perhaps using the abandoned tracks infrastructure.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
A quick question for those proposing extensions to Woodfield, Orland Square, Hawthore, etc.... How long do you think it would take to hop on a CTA line at those particular locations and get downtown? Not trying to be a nay-sayer here, but it already takes 45-50 min. from O'Hare downtown, and arguably longer from the Skokie Swift when connection is made to the red line. I just don't think people are going to want to do it. I know I am NEVER going to hop on a CTA train that makes stops at the frequency it does to get all the way out to one of these three malls!
These particular malls need more weekend (when people shop) METRA service, and shuttle busses that simply run to the nearest METRA stations (which are probably Arlington Park, Tinley Park 80th Ave., and Lake Forest, when non-weekend service on certain lines are considered). Woodfield already has it's holiday season trolley system that takes people to IKEA, Roosevelt U, etc.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM

72 posts, read 237,124 times
It's only a matter of time before the red-line hits 115th St. IMO.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
A quick question for those proposing extensions to Woodfield, Orland Square, Hawthore, etc.... How long do you think it would take to hop on a CTA line at those particular locations and get downtown? Not trying to be a nay-sayer here, but it already takes 45-50 min. from O'Hare downtown, and arguably longer from the Skokie Swift when connection is made to the red line. I just don't think people are going to want to do it. I know I am NEVER going to hop on a CTA train that makes stops at the frequency it does to get all the way out to one of these three malls!
These particular malls need more weekend (when people shop) METRA service, and shuttle busses that simply run to the nearest METRA stations (which are probably Arlington Park, Tinley Park 80th Ave., and Lake Forest, when non-weekend service on certain lines are considered). Woodfield already has it's holiday season trolley system that takes people to IKEA, Roosevelt U, etc.

CTA service is more than just to downtown. It would enable easier access from different parts of the city or better access with in each burb that it runs.

The CTA can run express trains or return A/B Service or instead of using the red line to the loop use the purple line(it is faster). CTA is set up for more frequent local access.

Metra is set up for mostly downtown access. Extending the lines would allow someone to get from say Lincoln park to Orland square without having to go downtown first.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM

289 posts, read 896,823 times
There is a big space between E/W I-94 after 95th Street. I don't know if that's still considered Dan Ryan or if it's the start of Bishop Ford. They could lay track all the way to Stony Island & 103rd before having to build bridges dig tunnels. I don't know how it would go south after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago