Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyes4u View Post
I'm not trying to be "tough" by any means, and obviously I'm going to be putting myself in a bad situation, but I have to because I don't have any choice. End of story.

Now, are there any safe/decent low cost areas to stay in? With no gang activity.
well, I'm not sure what you want here. do you want people to tell you the best places in Chicago to put yourself in physical harm? b/c, in the end it won't matter on the neighborhood, living out of a car is dangerous, and, at least according to one post here, illegal (never mind expensive and inconvenient). as mentioned, what are you going to do when you get towed? or booted? where do you plan on parking?

Have you SERIOUSLY gone through all your options. I can tell you that when I was homeless (literally homeless, as if spending nights at Logan Airport and sleeping in youth homeless shelters), I had more options than just sleeping in a car out in the open in winter. have you checked out shelters? a YWCA? youth shelters that cater to teens and young adults? the Red Cross? other shelters? you're a young, seemingly sane woman, you have more options out there for you than men or the average crazy bum. hell, even couch surfing would be a better option, though not guaranteed to be safe.

not that I expect much details, but I'm curious about the situation that would lead a young woman to RISK her LIFE living on the streets. this is not a fun way of life and I don't think any amount of snippy comments from you is going to convince reasonable folks here to help you out w/ this deranged plan. it's the epitome of stupidity to think you "have" to put yourself in a life threatening situation when there are other safer options available, especially when you seem more concern about fun music venues to hit than your life. if you have no where else to live, worry about that first, not about hitting clubs. if you do have somewhere to live, then LIVE there. not in your car in the streets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Chicago and Detroit have similar winter weather...

Normal High/Low:
January
Chicago 30/14 Detroit 31/18
February
Chicago 35/19 Detroit 34/20

Source: National Weather Service

Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Is the OP currently living in a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Chicago and Detroit have similar winter weather...

Normal High/Low:
January
Chicago 30/14 Detroit 31/18
February
Chicago 35/19 Detroit 34/20

Source: National Weather Service

If so then I suppose she must have some really sweet internet hook-up

If not then the relevant question is how are they affording to keep over their head and the furnace on now? Kindness of strangers? Decency of relatives? Might want to ask either the stranger or relatives for a bit of loan to rent a place in Chicago, who knows maybe when her albums go gold she could buy 'em a new place

Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
If my daughter was ever to contemplate this, I would be desperate to keep her from this situation. Shelter is a basic necessity. So is safety.

Best job for ready, available cash? Waitressing. You can save money and get a cheap hotel room for the week or month.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:34 AM

17 posts, read 55,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

Have you SERIOUSLY gone through all your options.

it's the epitome of stupidity to think you "have" to put yourself in a life threatening situation when there are other safer options available, especially when you seem more concern about fun music venues to hit than your life. if you have no where else to live, worry about that first, not about hitting clubs.
Do you NOT understand that I don't have any other options? Quite honestly, you're the epitome of stupid for thinking that I haven't considered other ways to live.

I recently got kicked out of my relative's house because I was fired from my job and can't pay rent, I have to leave college because I can't afford it anymore, I DON'T HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE. The only way that I can afford TO PAY THE TOLLS TO EVEN GET INTO CHICAGO is because I get my last student loan refund check (of $2000).

I'm taking $1000 of that to buy a Used cargo van, spend $300-$400 for maintenance it might need and the rest I have to live off of until I can get a job (I don't know how long that will take).

There's nothing glamourous about this situation and nothing cute about it.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 AM

17 posts, read 55,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post

Best job for ready, available cash? Waitressing. You can save money and get a cheap hotel room for the week or month.

Waitressing makes a lot of sense and I'm gonna be looking into that for sure. Hotels are too expensive. Wow people really don't understand when someone says "I don't have the money."

Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Do you NOT understand that I don't have any other options? Quite honestly, you're the epitome of stupid for thinking that I haven't considered other ways to live.

I recently got kicked out of my relative's house because I was fired from my job and can't pay rent, I have to leave college because I can't afford it anymore, I DON'T HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE. The only way that I can afford TO PAY THE TOLLS TO EVEN GET INTO CHICAGO is because I get my last student loan refund check (of $2000).

I'm taking $1000 of that to buy a Used cargo van, spend $300-$400 for maintenance it might need and the rest I have to live off of until I can get a job (I don't know how long that will take).

There's nothing glamourous about this situation and nothing cute about it.
You do have other options. Fear is a dangerous emotion and it causes people to not see all of thier options. The van idea is a bad idea all around. You could spend $1000 and get a clunker not to metion all the other things that go with trying to park in a city that could be described as the anti motor city. Even in the ghettos people might call the cops if you are blocking their parking(i.e. You have not moved your van in two days).

If you are die hard about living in Chicago buy a greyhound ticket here live in an homeless shelter till you get a job and work from there. You can get an monthly CTA pass for $86. Put the money in a bank account in case you get robbed or use the money to rent a place if you have a roommate you can get a place to stay for $300-500 a month. Also check out transient hotels where you pay by the week or month.

Last edited by chirack; 12-12-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Waitressing makes a lot of sense and I'm gonna be looking into that for sure. Hotels are too expensive. Wow people really don't understand when someone says "I don't have the money."
you have money- you just said you have $3k. that's more than enough for a start if you use it wisely

Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Keep it on topic...no personal attacks.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you're well on your way to a mature adult hood-providing you survive the winter
You know I think this might be one of life's lessons for her. If she survives she will definitely get her priorities straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago