Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
#1 example: SPORTS. Seriously sports. I mean is a huge sports city. Now granted sports aren't in and of itself solely blue-collared pasttimes. There are major sports teams in every city we all know that. But in Chicago, the sports stadiums take a huge front seat as their main attractions. From what I know about geography: None of New Yorks teams are in Manhattan at all. In Chicago Wrigley Field is THE prime attraction to the north side, where people pay an arm and a leg for Old style or bud. When they serve wine at Wrigley Field (remember this is one of the most gentrified areas) then I'll say that the blue collared roots are dead. At least on the south side, the sox fans are a little more "clear cut". Soldier Field, is right there smack in the middle of everything, and two years ago, the lights downtown where lit up in Bears logos, etc. To me at least, the obsession with sports, and a strong preference for beer over wine, seems like a good example of how the blue collared roots run deep.
I have to ask why you are comparing the north side to Manhattan, it's not the Loop.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
You probably ment "decent media and celebrities could not care less about living in Chicago" so instead you get the journalistic might of Tribune that is unineteresting to anyone outside of the region, Oprah, Jerry and "Broadway in Chicago" leftovers. It also means that it is very hard to get decent professors of let's say journalism or anythinig related to media in Chicago. That explains a lot.

Yeah...Northwestern University's Medill School sure is a craphole, not a nationally respected premier institution for journalism and media or anything.

The Chicago Manual of Style, too...the media NEVER uses that. Wonder where that was developed?

Get a clue.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
...You probably ment...
Troll spray needed! Lookout Kid please apply it before there is an infestation!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM

467 posts, read 874,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
[/i]

Yeah...Northwestern University's Medill School sure is a craphole, not a nationally respected premier institution for journalism and media or anything.

The Chicago Manual of Style, too...the media NEVER uses that. Wonder where that was developed?

Get a clue.
I'll try. In the meantime can you tell me what do you do after you graduate, besides heading for the coasts?
As I am not aware of any nationally acclaimed publications coming out of Chicago I assume the job market is marginal there.
Strange, supposedly great journalism school and a lack of nationally/internationally significant media outlets. Typical Midwestern idiosyncrasy.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 01-14-2009 at 11:48 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
<snip>
Yeah so in another life I'd have cared to type a response. But seriously, the whole "get angry about insults and post an angry response!" schtick is so passé.

So instead, I'm going to start drinking and forget you exist. When I return in the future, possibly tomorrow, I'm not going to remember you.

I say this because I think sometimes people need to be told where they stand on the scale of things. It helps to know your place, and yours, advocatusdiavoli, is at least metaphorically beneath the vodka I keep in my freezer.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I say this because I think sometimes people need to be told where they stand on the scale of things. It helps to know your place, and yours, advocatusdiavoli, is at least metaphorically beneath the vodka I keep in my freezer.
I was told that to enjoy Midwest you have to be really great on denial. I hope vodka will help, too.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Lick my jockstrap alphabet soup. Crawl back into your New Jersey sewer.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lick my jockstrap alphabet soup. Crawl back into your New Jersey sewer.
Spoken like a true Chicagoan
BTW. Why New Jersey? Well, at least New Jersey is not in the middle of a cornfield...

Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
I'll try. In the meantime can you tell me what do you do after you graduate, besides heading for the coasts?
As I am not aware of any nationally acclaimed publications coming out of Chicago I assume the job market is marginal there.
Strange, supposedly great journalism school and a lack of nationally/internationally significant media outlets. Typical Midwestern idiosyncrasy.
Nice backpedaling. I see that once you have been proven wrong in one area you just tried to apply the same idea elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Oh, gee. An east coast fribble who thinks he has a bead on Chicago is lecturing us on our "superiority complex" without a hint of irony. As of this moment, there really is nothing new under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago