Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I was out that way recently and wondering what those beautiful homes in the neighborhoods around Wash U. go for. Any idea, let's say an old but nicely maintained 3,000 square foot brick colonial on a 50x150 lot near the university?
Here's a pretty good example: 3500 sq/ft, old kitchen, right in the University Heights area: 16 Princeton Ave, University City, MO, 63130 - MLS ID#80045489 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=university+city%2c+mo&mnp=4 00000&mxp=1000000&sid=da2bc2923e094233a82a55b76681 c575&lid=1102518082&lsn=4&srcnt=20 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Aragx,

I spent New Years in St. Louis with the girlfriend. She hated it, said there wasn't much to do other than the museums in Forrest Park.

Should have maybe stuck to LaClede's landing.

We did the whole Delmar Loop, University Village thing. It was interesting to watch the movie Milk at the Tivoli theatre there with a crowd of mostly gay men.

She just is used to Chicago. We ended up going to Pepper's (her choice) to spend New Years at a bar that called itself a nightclub.

St. Louis is such a barren, open city, not like Chicago. Union Station is nice but lots of vacancy and lots of low-end stores. We were not impressed by the restaurants downtown. We spent 4 days there.

The area out by Wash U is still nice, great housing stock, especially along Big Bend and into Clayton.

Honestly, not worth the 5 hour drive, though it was nice to see my old school.

I am sure there are some areas on the West Side of St. Louis away from the Wash U medical district that have distressed prices for some pretty descent housing stock, though nothing like is being seen in Detroit. As you said, that is just sad.
It's just amazing to me that you went to school in St. Louis for so long and yet the p[laces you mention about St. Louis are Laclede's Landing and Union Station.

That's truly like someone coming onto these boards and saying:

"Ugh, Chicago was pretty lame. We went to the Sears Tower and Navy Pier and I really didn't like either of them."

if you want to see beautiful old houses literally falling to the ground look north of the Central West End in the old Gaslight Square area or in the Tower Grove East area (though those are all starting to be rehabbed) Tower Grove South was like that 10-15 years ago but has seen a fabulous rebirth since then.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Here's a pretty good example: 3500 sq/ft, old kitchen, right in the University Heights area: 16 Princeton Ave, University City, MO, 63130 - MLS ID#80045489 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=university+city%2c+mo&mnp=4 00000&mxp=1000000&sid=da2bc2923e094233a82a55b76681 c575&lid=1102518082&lsn=4&srcnt=20 - broken link)
Sign me up. Those neighborhoods look ideal for families -- great architecture, places to walk to, public transit, still lots of open space. I got a great feel from the area.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

In all reality, U City is definitely one of the possibilities for where we'll end up when it comes time to raise kiddos. Just don't think we can afford to do it here. Even private schools, in the event you can't swing getting your kids into the magnets in STL (which are, as I understand it, easier Chicago), are much cheaper.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
To any of you interested in St. Louis, a guy I know started this web site (though I don't think he lives in St. Louis now). It's a really great web site that documents SEVERAL sections of the city. I wish we had something like this in Chicago.

Built St. Louis: Home

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-12-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
It is located in the best area of Detroit, and is surrounded by a golf course, a catholic university, and similar residential neighborhoods, so its not in the midst of blight.
Are you sure about that? The person sitting next to me right now went to the University of Detroit Mercy somewhat recently, and she says the area is terrible and unsafe. She lived on the campus for years, and said no one would DARE walk up that direction.

"Squatter occupied" is quite telling.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Need to factor in that middle-income people (and most jobs) left City of Detroit for Oakland County suburbs many decades ago, when auto industry was lucrative

Ironically, even today, houses in Detroit's Bloomfield Hills (akin to Chicago's Winnetka/LakeForest) cost roughly same as Chicago NorthShore comparables

Some 20yrs ago Bloomfield Hills public schools were comparable to NewTrier, but they've since declined dramatically in quality, forcing many parents to pay for private schools, adding to the not-cheap COL in Detroit region

And state of MI has a ~5% state income tax rate vs IL's 3%, further incenting taxpayers to flee MI

Given that Detroit has built crappy cars for decades (haven't college-educated, middle-income people been buying US-built Camrys/Accords for some 20yrs now?), Detroit region has done everything possible for adverse selection....crappy industries, high COL-taxes, low QOL (public schools, restaurants, etc)....no surprise why most smart U-MI alums migrate to Chicago (or CA/NYC), not Detroit, to pursue their careers

Rise and fall of regions reflect complex dynamics over decades....lots of elite suburbs of cities as divergent as Detroit or Cleveland or StLouis or Dallas or Houston are now just as costly (or more costly in case of Dallas' HighlandPark) as Winnetka/LakeForest, so it really becomes a QOL comparison, as COL is fairly similar

Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
To any of you interested in St. Louis, a guy I know started this web site (though I don't think he lives in St. Louis now). It's a really great web site that documents SEVERAL sections of the city. I wish we had something like this in Chicago.

Built St. Louis: Home

Try this one for old Chicago architecture and more.

Forgotten Chicago

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM

220 posts, read 744,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Now that we got federal aid from Pres. Bush, maybe the Big 3 will build more cars that more Americans will buy and we can start to recover.
Unfortunately, The City of Detroit's decline has been in fully swing as shown by this topic for many decades. The current crisis in the Michigan based auto companies is about the third time in the cycle - 1970s energy crisis/Chrysler bailout, late 90s ennui, current market saturation and financial hysteria.

In all reality, the houses prices as shown in this thread for Detroit really should have been the norm previously, but people had gigantic blinders on about the true value of much of the City's housing.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
To Lookout Kid,

The University of Detroit-Mercy is like a buffer between that residential neighborhood, and the run-down neighborhoods to the east and south of the University.

Here are two more:

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28144690 - broken link)
This eastside one needs work.

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28199379 - broken link)
This 4,800 sq. mansion has been stripped of its radiators. Yikes! Check out the pix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago