Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,709,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
Indeed. If they fixed the schools, there would be a gigantic tidal wave of people moving back to the City, and the derelict neighborhoods could improve almost over night.
But that would be a bad thing. Don't you know gentifying destroys the character of neighborhoods? Look whats happened to Uptown over the past 20 years! (irony intended)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
But that would be a bad thing. Don't you know gentifying destroys the character of neighborhoods? Look whats happened to Uptown over the past 20 years! (irony intended)
Uptown still does not have a half way decent CPS school (other than Disney and it is a Magnet School) for children to go to that is in Uptown.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,131,538 times
Thank you Drover, Via Chicago, Attrill, and Anthera for your responses. I am ecstatic that you have such great services.

In Detroit, there is no rapid transit. We have lots of bus routes, several of which run 24-hour hours. We missed the boat when then-President Gerald Ford, in 1976, granted the Detroit Metro Area $600 Million to build a subway system. The funding was eventually withdrawn when suburban Oakland and Macomb counties couldn't agree on how they were going come up with their portion of the funding for the system.

...Unless something really violent has occurred, police response time can be pretty poor

...I don't know how it is in Chicago, but neighborhood residential streets are not plowed unless a mininum of 6" of snow has fallen.

...streetlights are often not fixed

...due to all of the local governments being near broke, salting/clearing/plowing roads have been worse this year than in the past.

...the city can't keep up with all of the illegal dumping on vacant lots (and abandoned houses)

...oh and here's another dousy
Listing #30613789 - Real Matrix Maccomb (MIRealSource)

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
To Lookout Kid,

The University of Detroit-Mercy is like a buffer between that residential neighborhood, and the run-down neighborhoods to the east and south of the University.

Here are two more:

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28144690 - broken link)
This eastside one needs work.

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28199379 - broken link)
This 4,800 sq. mansion has been stripped of its radiators. Yikes! Check out the pix.
There are a lot of nice houses within a mile of the University of Detroit. However, who would want to move into an area that is completely devoid of city services and an ineffective police department.

Did you see the TAXES on the 2nd property - $20k/year.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
In DETROIT,

Garbage pickup is very reliable. Police and fire are underfunded and undermanned, so those services are lacking, in some instances they are lacking a whole lot. Do you get great city services in your Chicago neighborhood? Can you name any in particular.
In my two years in the city of Detroit, services were non-existent. We had at least a couple periods where garbage went uncollected for weeks. The police department was undermanned and grossly underequipped for the task at hand. In my opinion, the only city that even comes close is St. Louis depending on the mayor.

While one can criticize the Chicago city government for its cronyism and a hundred other things, you will find that most Chicagoans seem to be fairly satisfied with the services they receive.

I think that there is little chance that Detroit will make a comeback. It provides a cautionary tale to other cities - like Cincinnati and St. Louis, for example - of what happens when corporate and civic leaders fail to address lingering issues.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 409,878 times
Default Chicago Police

Yeh, Chicago police are friggin awesome. I have lived in a lot of cities too. They have bigger and better things to do then pull you over for 5MPH over, or minor traffic violations. They also seem a lot better educated than police I experienced in other areas, like Atlanta...

The only reasons Chicago has a high number of police shootings is because "ghetto-fabulous" parents in Chicago don't teach their kids to obey police. So when they grow up and get arrested someday, they try to fight or or run. Both of those can get your kid shot dead, and that isn't exciting, it's stupid. It's also much worse than going through Chicago's over lenient penal system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I've had similar experiences to Drover's. Also, at least 4 times a year our Precinct Captain comes by to ask if there is anything we need done and if we are satisfied with city services in general. That is the frequently ignored upside of machine politics.

Some of my experiences include:
- Calling for new trash cans and getting them in 2 days (I have to do this twice a year)
- Free lead testing of our house when our daughter was born (the guy ran through his checklist and then stayed around and tested anything we asked him to - very helpful guy)
- Getting a $125 rain barrel for $25 from the city
- Not only have the cops come within 2 minutes every time I've called them, they also haven't bothered me when I've been lighting fireworks in the summer.
- Rat control guy came to our house and pointed out all the things we needed to do to get rid of rats and baited for free. He did more for free than an Orkin guy did for $100 when we called them in.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,709,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I think that there is little chance that Detroit will make a comeback. It provides a cautionary tale to other cities - like Cincinnati and St. Louis, for example - of what happens when corporate and civic leaders fail to address lingering issues.
I think its more of a civic/political issue than corporate. Coleman Young drew a line in the sand (at 8 mile) and told the corporate leaders that if they wanted to play ball in his town it would be by his rules. Is it any surprise that corporations relocated to Southfield and other towns (especially when looking at employees who would be taxed for working in Detroit, even if they didn't live there).

NFP groups also were given the cold shoulder. Recently, the Detroit City Council moved that civic groups could not operate in Detroit unless 51% of their board was made up up Detroiters.

"More than 100 nonprofits were stunned last week when they were notified by the department that they were ineligible for the block grants because they did not meet a new requirement that more than half of the boards of directors be Detroit residents. The Detroit City Council passed the requirement last July by a 9-0 vote. Organizations that stand to lose funding include Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries, Gleaners Community Food Bank, the Coalition on Temporary Shelter, Focus: Hope, ....."(Crains Detroit Buisiness 3/17/08)

These were groups providing services to Detroit residents. The block grants were federal money. It was all going to service Detroit residents. The people who make up the boards of NFPs are usually community leaders who are willing to fundraise among their friends and collegues. In Chicago if you look at the boards of many major and most minor NFP you'll have lots of suburbanites on the boards. I know of one inner city private school whose board is almost all Lake Forest & Winnetka residents. Who fundraise like mad for this little school in the inner city. That is usually the criteria for any NFP - who will bring in money to help our group accomplish its mission.

This is the crux of the problem with Detroit. The politicians do not want to cooperate.

Middle class flight (white & black) certainly didn't help the school system and they never had a strong parochial system like Chicago or Boston.

Police & fire have been underfunded and undermined politically for decades. This has resulted in a very dangerous city.

Corporate leaders can only do so much. Who wants to pay more taxes for less services? Or locate your company in an area inconvenient and considered unsafe by your employees. For too many years the political leadership in Detroit has done what they wanted and has not tried to cooperate with the surrounding suburban areas

Last edited by Anthera; 01-17-2009 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago