Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 18,721 times

Advertisements

How is this area, crime-wise?

The Douglas Park area in general?

My roommate and I are looking at a place here.
Would it be safe for a white woman in her late 20's?
I worry mainly about my roommate, as she is white and speaks only a little Spanish (we're working on that though).
I, however, grew up in Mexico City, and would only worry about the part that I'm a female.
We're both medical residents, and would like to be near the IMD.

Thanks a lot.

Also, if you could provide any links with information on this area, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,421,704 times
No. No. No.

I do not think any young woman should live around there without male protection whether you speak some Spanish or are Hispanic/grew up in Mexico City or or not.

California and Cermak is in Little Village just so you know.

If you live in Bridgeport now what is the problem? What is your rent range?

You should be fine where you are at in Bridgeport.

Clue us in here.

http://chicago.everyblock.com/locati...ittle-village/

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...tItemAction.do

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-12-2009 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
I wouldn't live there if the apartment were free. There are much worse neighborhoods really, and that area is less than a mile from a fairly gentrified area.. but this intersection is pretty down-market.

Speaking Spanish will be handy about 4 blocks to the east and/or south but IIRC right at that corner of Cermak and California, English is predominant.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 18,721 times
Thanks, I was weary about the area. We're looking at Pilsen more than anything but were curious about this area.

What about the area north of Ashland/Lake green and pink el stop and south of Chicago Ave?

It takes too long to get to the IMD from Bridgeport, I have to walk over a mile just to get to the train and then go through the loop.
We can't afford much right now, as we're paying off loans and I'm personally supporting two sick parents. Our range is up to about $800 per month.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Pilsen would be a better choice than Douglas. A little rough around the edges, but notably better than Douglas. And quite honestly you'd be safer as an Hispanic female than an Hispanic male there.

The Ashland corridor you're looking at is also a little rough around the edges but probably a little safer than Pilsen. There's a little bit of 'hood element around there but it's not too bad from Ashland east. It starts to look a little rough south of Lake until you get close to Little Italy but the bark is worse than the bite. I wouldn't wander too far west of Ashland though, particularly at night.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,939,366 times
why dont you look at Pilsen around 18th st EL and or more east Pilsen around Halsted...

Me and my girlfriend (who is a med student) live around Damen and 18th we pay $800 for a pretty nice 2br. I have lived there for a year and really havent had any problems. We are moving out in a few weeks to a nicer place just for personal preference. We are literally going less then a mile north and our rent has doubled and the place isnt twice as nice And you know the landlord still hasnt rented this place for Feb 1st haha.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrrby View Post
It takes too long to get to the IMD from Bridgeport, I have to walk over a mile just to get to the train and then go through the loop...
Can't you just take the Halsted bus up and then a Campus Shuttle?

Or take the Halsted bus and then the Blue Line from Halsted to Medical Center?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM

So there you have it... give long101's landlord a call.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrrby View Post
...What about the area north of Ashland/Lake green and pink el stop and south of Chicago Ave?...
I do not know your hours of work or what IMC buildings you go to, but generally you would be much better off around Chicago/Damen or Chicago/Ashland and taking the Damen or Ashland buses south.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,285,707 times
you know, when I was looking for apartments in the Pilsen area, a lot of places around California and Cermak were coming up as "Pilsen". YES, I know there are sneaky, lying realtors that distort and stretch neighborhood boundary lines, but I am curious what are the real boundaries of Pilsen? I've heard Cermak, Western, Roosevelt, and Halsted are the boundaries, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago