Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
LOL im actually thinking about heading there from Rogers Park. Am I going to be disappointed?
I used to live about two blocks from Edgewater Produce, which happens to be right across the street from a Jewel. I walked in there once, took one quick look at the produce, walked out, and never went back. Granted, this was 10 years ago so maybe things have changed or maybe I caught them on a bad day. But I'm not sure it's worth making a special trip for it, even if it's just from Rogers Park.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Damn, I wish I was a "far north sider" so I could shop there. All I do is bounce around between Jewel...
Ever try Stanley's for produce? It really is not that far from where you live. It is about a mile east of you.

Stanley's Fruits & Vegetables
1558 N Elston Ave
Chicago, IL 60642
(773) 276-8050‎
6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday–Saturday; 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday

Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yes! Because it's just a grocery store! It's got pretty good deals, but there are stores not unlike it in lots of neighborhoods. Go check out those stores! The stores that have lots of languages in the window that you don't speak!

Especially prior to expansion, that's all Harvestime was.

It's a great deal for ME to go there because it's a manageable walk or a short bike ride away. Shop your neighborhood!

You can't do all of your shopping at Stanley's. It's basically just produce.

As far as shopping my neighborhood, I would if I could. The selection is not here. Strack's is ok, but it doesn't compare to the ones in Indiana, and it's not public transportation friendly. There's a Dominick's in the Riverview Mall on Fullerton, forget them. There's the ghettolicious Jewel near Milwaukee & Ashland. There is an independent called Danny's on Western & Shakespeare, but it's overpriced, and FILTHY! There are also some chi-chi specialty shops near Damen & Milwaukee, way too high. I do sometimes go to Aldi's on Milwaukee & Leavitt, but Aldi's is always hit or miss.

I actually do more of my shopping near my job. I do go to Tony's on Belmont near Cicero, which I'm not crazy about, but they do have good meat. (Much better than Jewel, S&VT, or Dominick's). A coworker told me about a place called A&G Market on Belmont near Central, and she describes it much like you guys describe the international selection at HarvesTime, but I just don't want to go farther west after work. (Of course, I'd be going north to HarvesTime, so who knows.)

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ever try Stanley's for produce? It really is not that far from where you live. It is about a mile east of you.

1558 N Elston Ave
Chicago, IL 60642
(773) 276-8050‎
We love Stanley's, and their prices are very good.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
You can't do all of your shopping at Stanley's. It's basically just produce.

...Strack's is ok, but it doesn't compare to the ones in Indiana, and it's not public transportation friendly...
1)No kidding. That is why I specifically asked if Aragx6 goes there to buy produce. Their main focus is produce that is why Stanley's full name is Stanley's Fruits & Vegetables.

2) What in the world are you talking about? Strack & Van Til is like a 1.5 block walk to the Diversey or Western bus. It is also about a 2.5 block walk to the Fullerton bus.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
1)No kidding. That is why I specifically asked if Aragx6 goes there to buy produce. Their main focus is produce that is why Stanley's full name is Stanley's Fruits & Vegetables.

2) What in the world are you talking about? Strack & Van Til is like a 1.5 block walk to the Diversey or Western bus. It is also about a 2.5 block walk to the Fullerton bus.
Yes, but the Diversey bus is generally useless.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I don't know, I don't get hit on AND hit up for money by the same person every 5 seconds when I walk down the street in Edgewater as I do in Uptown.
Hmmm... That doesn't happen to me. I do get called "whitey" or "cracker" occasionally near Wilson and Broadway, though. LOVE that. Luckily I'm rarely walking around that area nowadays. I learned my lesson shortly after moving here.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:

1558 N Elston Ave
Chicago, IL 60642
(773) 276-8050‎
But you can't get imported prosciutto for $3/lb. at Stanely's... THAT is the beauty of HarvesTime. But of course, you need to speak a little Spanish to get what you want from the Deli. My wife takes care of that part for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
Quote:

1) Oh, oops, didn't see that. Nobody's perfect. :::SHRUG:::

2) Well, since I live near Damen & Webster, I don't need the Western, Diversey, or Fullerton buses. Plus it's more like 2 blocks to Diversey, and 2.5 to Western. It's about 4 to Damen, since Elston is on an angle and the store would be at about the equivalent of where Leavitt & Wrightwood would meet if they were over in that area. (Also, neither Damen nor Diversey are the fastest running buses.)

3) Have you made the walk? In summer it's not so bad, but it's not fun dragging an old lady cart filled with groceries over the unshoveled crud on the sidewalks of Elston Ave. Try it sometime.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Yes, but the Diversey bus is generally useless.
Yeah Diversey does suck. But he just could have said that the Diversey bus sucks instead of there is no public transportation near this store type crap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago