Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
From prelim research St Louis' best magnets are much easier to get into and, if necessary, mid- and top-tier private schools are 25-40% cheaper.

But I agree, schools are a grave concern for us.
Milwaukee also has a deal that you can go to certain suburban schools free of charge if you meet their attendence requirements. A city-living friend of mine sent his daughters to a nice north-suburban high school (Nicolet), and the only catch was they had to provide transportation. They were both highly intelligent, though. They also have that school choice voucher plan, so you can get at least some money for private schools. I throroughly support that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motob View Post
If it was a Friday it probably was, lol. Though I'll say throwing stuff seems pretty out there for the tone of the thing. Usually they say thanks for waiting, and give some candy or something to people who are pissed. Sorry it messed up your day.
It doesn't seem out there to me. I've encountered the Critical Ass folks both here and in Pittsburgh, and they strike me as the most insufferable, self-righteous, entitled-to-do-whatever-the-hell-we-please-and-we-dare-you-to-do-something-about-it jagmopes on the face of the earth. IMO they do a tremendous disservice to their cause.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It doesn't seem out there to me. I've encountered the Critical Ass folks both here and in Pittsburgh, and they strike me as the most insufferable, self-righteous, entitled-to-do-whatever-the-hell-we-please-and-we-dare-you-to-do-something-about-it jagmopes on the face of the earth. IMO they do a tremendous disservice to their cause.
I must agree.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,738 times
I was born and bred in Chicago until I moved to New Orleans.
I miss the hell out of it!
You think crime in Chicago is bad?
Come visit down here.
That's not to say New Orleans doesn't have a lot culturally to offer and I've made a lot of friends while living here but I can attest the subject of crime is far worse for the number of people.
Anyhow, I'll more than likely move back one day but I don't see it happening anytime soon while the economy is the way it is right now.
When we're over the hump, I'll more than likely move home and continue to ***** about the cold like I did before I left.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 AM

29 posts, read 88,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yet you cannot fit in violent which would be more to the point. The rides attract thousands in the summer because the atmosphere which pervades is one of a party, not a strident protest.

They are also tolerated by the police, which would be unlikely if throwing things at people were _not_ out there.

So for someone who might want to make friends, a thousand person party on wheels is worth a shot. If you go once and decide to turn around, you're not going to get branded or something,

That's it from me on this.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
I still love it here, despite the fact that right now I'm poor as hell and I want to punch one of my bosses in the face. It's so much better than bible belt ville where I came from.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motob View Post
Yet you cannot fit in violent which would be more to the point. The rides attract thousands in the summer because the atmosphere which pervades is one of a party, not a strident protest.

They are also tolerated by the police, which would be unlikely if throwing things at people were _not_ out there.

So for someone who might want to make friends, a thousand person party on wheels is worth a shot. If you go once and decide to turn around, you're not going to get branded or something,

That's it from me on this.
I certainly can fit in "violent" in the sense that if you try to cross the street while they're blatantly violating the rules of the road, they'll sooner run your ass down than yield the right-of-way to you like they're supposed to. And police "tolerate" them because it's usually not worth marshalling the resources to stop them when they're on one of their "we own the roads and screw everyone else" rampages. But the police don't always tolerate them either:

YouTube - NYC Critical Mass Police Brutality Compilation 2006-2008

YouTube - Brutal police arrests NYC, RNC critical mass 2004

YouTube - Critical Mass cyclist Assaulted by NYPD

YouTube - Atlanta Police hassle Critical Mass

YouTube - St. Paul-Minneapolis Police Wary of "Anarchists" on Bicycles - Critical Mass

YouTube - Police brutality at Critical Mass in Winnipeg, May 3rd

Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM

13 posts, read 31,830 times
Quote:
So we came here thinking we had a few friends here already. HA. Turns out we have absolutely nobody and nothing. Since November, we've seen each of those people one time, and it was all at random. We're not sure how to meet people since we don't drink and flat out don't enjoy bars/clubs. As for me, moving here was a bit of an attempt at getting over some really bad social phobia issues. It has actually worked a bit, but then I see people who look offended if you say hi to them, and it makes me just want to stay in bed.
There's plenty more to do here than just go out to bars! I came here thinking I had lots of friends here already, and yeah, I rarely see them. But I'm trying to meet new people by doing other things such as volunteering. Why don't you try that? There's plenty of places in the city, especially in economic times like the present, that would gladly accept volunteer work. Its a good way to meet people, help out an organization, just gain personal fulfillment. It might even lead to you finding a paying job within whatever place you volunteer. Worth a try I guess. /:

Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM

467 posts, read 874,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
My honeymoon period ended little by little. The completely pathetic excuse for a mass transit system, the insane police force, the endless corruption from political figures and then the politician that wanted to simply let his son "inherit" his position... Or this past winter, when Illinois decided that because we were using less heat and electricity we should be taxed to maintain an outdated power structure...

You just can't take anymore. .

I think the last sentence is the key here. You just can't take it anymore. Chicago has been recently named the Most Stressful City by Forbes Magazine. Most people look at it as a piece of trivia but I know first hand how stressful Chicago can be. One thing about Chicago is that it is defintely not an easy-going city nor it is laid-back. I know the "natives" will object but they first of all are used to that and second do not have any point of reference. It is also not a very friendly place, someone mentioned angry looks of people when greeted with a simple "hi" but this is a norm here. The only place are that I experienced strangers saying "hi" to other strangers was Oak Park. Chicago is also stressful because of hard winters, underdeveloped transportations system, always congested streets and highways, high taxes but most importantly because sometimes it seems like there is no organization whatsoever.
Making friends in Chicago? Kind of difficult when people are so reserved and suspicious of strangers. Conversations most of the time very shallow and just polite. Nothing else. Before I moved I heard a lot of things about Chicago. I heard it is very friendly but then in the next sentence how tough it is. Friendly and tough???. After three years here I tend to think that it is just pretentious and both its friendliness and toughness are poses. Deep down insde it is just scared.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM

223 posts, read 757,658 times
Default Honeymoon period ... a chronology

I usually disregard chain e-mails, but this one put a smile on my face:

Dear Diary:

Aug. 12 - Moved into our new home in Illinois . It is so beautiful here. The hills and river valleys are so picturesque. I have a beautiful old oak tree in my front yard. Can hardly wait to see the change in the seasons. This is truly God's Country.

Oct. 14 - Illinois is such a gorgeous place to live, one of the real special places on Earth. The leaves are turning a multitude of different colors. I love all of the shades of reds, oranges and yellows, they are so bright. I want to walk through all of the beautiful hills and spot some white tail deer. They are so graceful, certainly they must be the most peaceful creatures on Earth. This must be paradise.

Nov. 11 - Deer season opens this week. I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot these elegant animals. They are the very symbol of peace and tranquility here in Illinois . I hope it snows soon. I love it here!

Dec. 2 - It snowed last night. I woke to the usual wonderful sight: everything covered in a beautiful blanket of white. The oak tree is magnificent. It looks like a postcard. We went out and swept the snow from the steps and driveway. The air is so crisp, clean and refreshing. We had a snowball fight. I won, and the snowplow came down the street. He must have gotten too close to the driveway because we had to go out and shovel the end of the driveway again. What a beautiful place. Nature in harmony. I love it here!

Dec. 12 - More snow last night. I love it! The plow did his cute little trick again. What a rascal. A winter wonderland. I love it here!

Dec. 19 - More snow - couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work in time. I'm exhausted from all of the shoveling. And that snowplow!

Dec. 21 - More of that white **** coming down. I've got blisters on my hands and a kink in my back. I think that the snowplow driver waits around the corner until I'm done shoveling the driveway. *******.

Dec. 25 - White Christmas? More freakin' snow. If I ever get my hands on that (@#*%& who drives that snowplow, I swear I'll castrate him. And why don't they use more salt on these roads to melt this crap??

Dec. 28 - It hasn't stopped snowing since Christmas. I have been inside since then, except of course when that SOB "Snowplow Harry" comes by. Can't go anywhere, cars are buried up to the windows. Weather man says to expect another 10 inches. Do you have any idea how many shovelfuls 10 inches is??

Jan. 1 - Happy New Year? The way it's coming down it won't melt until the 4th of July! The snowplow got stuck down the road and the a-hole actually had the balls to come and ask to borrow a shovel! I told him I'd broken 6 already this season.

Jan. 4 - Finally got out of the house. We went to the store to get some food and a gosh dang deer ran out in front of my car and I hit the bastard. It did $3,000 in damage to the car. Those beasts ought to be killed. The hunters should have a longer season if you ask me.

Jan. 27 - Warmed up a little and rained today. The rain turned the snow into ice and the weight of it broke the main limb of the oak tree in the front yard and it went through the roof. I should have cut that thing into fireplace wood when I had the chance.

May 23 - Took my car to the local garage. Would you believe the whole underside of the car is rusted away from all of that damn salt they dump on the road? Car looks like a bashed up, heap of rusted ****.

June 10 - Sold the car, the house, and moved to Hawaii . I can't imagine why anyone in their freakin' mind would ever want to live in the freakin State of Illinois .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago