Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

I hate to admit I watch The Weather Channel but yesterday I caught most of a documentary they ran called "Deadly Heat"about the 1995 heat wave in Chicago that killed 700 people. I thought they did a pretty good job, compared it to Katrina, but I would love to hear your opinions. It's part of a series called When Weather Changed History or similar. It described how the different neighborhoods were affected, the anger against the Mayor etc. TWC is running the show again today at 6pm our (California time) time but I think they run their shows several times. If any of you see it I would love to hear your comments, especially if you lived through it. Best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Here is a bit I posted on that summer in another thread in the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah it was. I was working outside in the city for Streets and San all summer. BRUTAL.
On top of that my brother and I did not have AC. We lived on the 2nd floor.
I got deathly ill from Salmonella via food poisoning. That 10 days or so of illness was pure and utter hell....
Also a friend of mine that is a cop had to help retrieve many bodies of people that died from the heat.

One was a 400-500 pound woman that had died a few days or maybe a week before she was found in her apartment. It was so hot in there and she was so large (combined with the amount of time the body had been decomposing) her body had SPLIT IN HALF. I was told that was one of the most disgusting and jarring things he had ever seen.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-24-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 02:42 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
I vividly remember that heat wave. I didn't have AC in my apartment so I ended up sleeping at work in my office.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I remember that summer. It changed how I view summer-- you don't ever think of heat as "bad", or summer as "bad". Winter is what kills, right? Icy roads, the frigid temperatures taking out power and harming the elderly...

That was also the summer I realized that there was no way I could ever stand to live down south. Coldwine's previous plans had been to flee to Florida ASAP.

Chicago really has a very inhospitable climate.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
...Chicago really has a very inhospitable climate.
You really had to throw that in there didn't you? Christ you are like a broken record.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You really had to throw that in there didn't you? Christ you are like a broken record.
Extreme summers and extreme winters make for an extreme climate, Avenger. What else do you want me to say? I didn't complain about the weather, I just stated that it has extreme lows and extreme highs.

How many cities really need to be built for both?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Extreme summers and extreme winters make for an extreme climate, Avenger. What else do you want me to say? I didn't complain about the weather, I just stated that it has extreme lows and extreme highs.

How many cities really need to be built for both?
No. It is more like Chicago is a city that CAN (AND HAS HAD) have really extreme weather. It is not like every single year we have an extreme summer AND an extreme winter. Some years we do not have an extreme summer or an extreme winter for that matter.

Yeah the odds are stacked in favor of at least having an extreme winter or an extreme summer (or both) in maybe 75% of the years, but we do not have an extreme winter and summer in the same year very often.

We did have an extreme summer in 1995 and an extreme winter in 95/96. Something like that probably happens 5-10 years out of a hundred.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
I slept in the second floor porches at night.

During the day I played in the sprinklers at the playground.

I was a little kid.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Ha, I remember taking bags of frozen peas and other food and wrapping them around my head with a sock every time I went outside. T'was nuts!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,386 times
How hot was it? I've never heard anything about that, but growing up in Louisiana we always laughed at the news reports talking about 90 degree "heat waves" in Chicago, New York, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: