Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Huberman definitely brought noticeable improvements to CTA service. The year prior to Huberman's appointment was an all-time low for the system (in my personal experience which only goes back to the mid nineties). Many of the slow zones have been eliminated, bus bunching has improved on my routes, and the "L"'s seem to be running more regularly. I was much more frustrated with the CTA in the Kruesi years, and wish that Huberman could stay on to keep the improvements coming. I'm truly afraid of what will happen in his absence.

As far as CPS in concerned, at least Huberman is a non-union @ss kicker. CPS needs an enima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Crowd boos new Chicago schools chief - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/crowd-boos-new-chicago-schools-chief.html - broken link)

Well, some people aren't happy.

Including the lady at the post office tonight. She said that apparently people were having a protest about it tonight downtown, but, you know, I don't know how reliable her source is. But we had a fantastic conversation about the whole thing.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
To be fair the booing was mostly about school closings. Arne Duncan's last act before leaving was to close down some schools that were only being kept open due to public protests and fears of siuations like this. Some of these schools are currently operating at half capacity. I think the protest is geared towards keeping the schools open as well. Dissatisfaction with the Huberman pick has just been thrown onto the pile of complaints.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
The CTA interim chief has been named:

Dorval Carter Jr.

CTA picks interim chief -- chicagotribune.com

Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
I'm a bit torn. Huberman's a good manager and the CTA was beginning to see some improvement under his watch. Now there will be a leadership vacuum for who knows how long, and its another indication of how little Mayor Daley thinks about transit. I think improving transit in Chicago is one of the most important goals that need to be met to position Chicago for future growth. On the other hand, probably the only issue more important than transit (and crime) is education, so despite the loss to the CTA, if he can improve CPS, it'll be a net positive.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The CTA interim chief has been named:

Dorval Carter Jr.

CTA picks interim chief -- chicagotribune.com
Hey, he has transit experience. Maybe he will work out.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Lots of good info and commentary at CTA tattler.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Lots of good info and commentary at CTA tattler.
yes, but once those comments start showing up they can get really dumb, so watch out!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM

249 posts, read 685,371 times
Word is that at CPS, Huberman will run the business aspect and Barbara Eason-Watkins, chief education officer, will have an even stronger role running the educational aspects of the system.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
When I read this, I laughed aloud. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

Because really, when you stop and consider it, how appropriate is this selection? Huberman, a man formerly in charge of a system that does a pisspoor job of moving people to their desired destination, one that is grossly underfunded and managed by severe incompetence, riddled with union politics so much so that its actual purpose is thwarted by idiots, all the while completely failing to perform its intended function... That being the movement of people from one place to another, wherever they need to go. On time.

I mean really, can we be sure he wasn't already in charge of CPS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago