Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 38,545 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a single 30 yr old college educated African American female moving from Milwaukee, WI to Chicago. I will be working in the downtown area and will be relying on public transportation. My question is what would be best neighborhood for me. I would like to be somewhere that is safe, easily accessible to public transportation, not too far from the downtown area and is culturally diverse with a good amount of other professional African Americans. I am willing to spend $1000 for a one bedroom. Does such a neighborhood exist ???????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Depends on what you mean by "good amount", but the South Loop, the good parts of Bronzeville, and Hyde Park all come to mind. There are black professionals everywhere in the city but in relatively much lower concentrations on the near north side.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw-chi View Post
Hi all,

I am a single 30 yr old college educated African American female moving from Milwaukee, WI to Chicago. I will be working in the downtown area and will be relying on public transportation. My question is what would be best neighborhood for me. I would like to be somewhere that is safe, easily accessible to public transportation, not too far from the downtown area and is culturally diverse with a good amount of other professional African Americans. I am willing to spend $1000 for a one bedroom. Does such a neighborhood exist ???????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It does depend on what you view as a "good amount". Contrary to popular belief, there ARE good amounts of blacks in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. Rogers Park is also a popular destination for young professionals (it has a large black population), and Hyde Park is as well. You might also want to look into The Loop and The South Loop. Those are pretty high in professional blacks as well. All are culturally diverse (with significant White, Asian, Hispanic populations) and if you're willing to pay $1000 for a one bedroom (which is fairly common in those neighborhoods) you should be fine.

Good luck and enjoy Chicago!!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM

295 posts, read 837,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milw-chi View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warning: Shameless plug for the South Loop:
Hyde Park is good for $1,000 because a lot of the buildings are older, but in the South Loop, you're looking at $1,300 and up. The upside is that most of the buildings are new(er) in the South Loop (between 1 - 5 years old), so you may get amenities like a doorman, patio, fitness center, etc and updated kitchens and baths. Plus the South Loop is easily accessible via I-90/94, I-55 and Lake Shore Drive vs Hyde Park which is really only accessible via Lake Shore Drive. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I know quite a few black professionals who live in the South Loop and everyone I know there says they love it. Also nice areas in the West Loop or Hyde Park....like everyone else is saying.

South Loop is just much newer, but at the same time that means it's almost exclusively packed with people in their 20's and 30's, many new families and a lot of very new construction. Not sure on rents down there...but I'm sure if you hunt around.

Central Station is the huge develoment around there....maybe take a look. I don't know what's for rent though...which is where Criagslist or the Reader comes in.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
I spent some time this weekend in the South Loop. The new buildings are beautiful and the number of cool things to do has increased dramatically. Location is also awesome for exploring the rest of the city. Downside as I see it -- unlike city neighborhoods like HP, Lakeview, LP, etc. S. Loop doesn't feel very cozy at all -- it a lot of very big streets and lots of car noise, not really a quaint feeling. Some more peaceful areas mixed in would give some nice contrast, I think. Still great, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: