Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Chicago food?
Hotdogs 9 10.47%
Pizza 28 32.56%
Italian Beef 30 34.88%
Gyro 6 6.98%
Polish 6 6.98%
corned beef 1 1.16%
other 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Mistake number 1:getting an Italian Beef in Humboldt Park.

Go to Johnnie's in Elmwood Park. Ask for one "dry."

Dipped means dipped quickly. "Wet" means saturated in the Au Jus. Sweet means with sweet peppers. Hot means with hot peppers. They do not put cheese on it unless you ask for it.

7500 W North Ave
Elmwood Park, IL 60707
(708) 452-6000
Johnnie's has some of the best beefs, but they don't give you enough meat.

If you are ever near Westchester, IL- try a place called Paul's Pizza Paul's Pizza - Westchester, IL 60154- some of the best I've ever had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Mistake number 1:getting an Italian Beef in Humboldt Park.

Go to Johnnie's in Elmwood Park. Ask for one "dry."

Dipped means dipped quickly. "Wet" means saturated in the Au Jus. Sweet means with sweet peppers. Hot means with hot peppers. They do not put cheese on it unless you ask for it.

7500 W North Ave
Elmwood Park, IL 60707
(708) 452-6000
Johnnie's is great. Just remember to add a large ice, no top.

You can also ask them to dip it halfway if you want some of the au jus. I think the term is either dip top or dip cap..

Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,159 times
I pass through there all the time.
It's always full.
That's what draws me away.
Waiting in line that reaches outside for a little sandwich, tas loco.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM

17 posts, read 49,496 times
Not one mention of Tamale Guy?! He is like a late-nite food angel.

I still cannot forget the first time he quelled my hunger pangs.

Awash with drunken stupor, you stumble toward the bar for another Old Style, cursing the establishment for shutting its kitchen down at nine o'clock. You weren't hungry then; you are hungry now. Beer hungry, damn it. A man sidles up to you.

"Tamale tamale?"

"Wha--yeees I want a tamale!" you bark lovingly at him.

Five dollars shoot out of your pocket and into his hand, and now you are king, clutching an Old Style, tamales, and some sort of delicious dipping sauce. Miracles. They do happen.

You walk back to your friends and strategically seat yourself between your vegan co-worker and his anorexic ladyfriend. They certainly won't be drunkenly forcing themselves on your tamales! (Of which there are plenty -- enough to share, but really, only in theory).

Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
I sure hope the Tamale guy never has any problems with food preparation or sanitation and anyone gets very sick. That guy will disappear as quickly as he appears.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,815 times
Didn't want to start a new thread but I found this very delicious-looking dessert place called Sugar Shack.

One Great Dish: Sugar Shack's Funnel Cake Sundaes: Chicagoist

Looks so good.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Italian beef!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM

70 posts, read 342,798 times
My sisters and I are coming to Chicago in July and I have to try one of those Italian Beefs. Not sure what you mean by dipped or dipped cap. We are staying at the Embassy Lakefront on N Columbus Dr. So where is the nearest place i can buy a good one in that area? You guys have me salivating and I have never even had one before!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I'm seriously conflicted over this subject. But I'll have to go with Italian Beef. A distant second is fully loaded & charred polish with grilled onions and mustard. Time for breakfast.
THIS...exactly! I looked at the choices up there and I could not decide between the polish and the beef...the Italian Beef won!

Johnnies in Elmwood Park
Portillos in Forest Park
Buona Beef in Berwyn

my preferences are in that ^ order!

The only difference for me is that...

A very close second (not a distant second) is fully loaded & charred polish with grilled onions and mustard. Time for breakfast.

Bon appétit

Καλή όρεξη

Bon 連鎖店

Dobrou chuť

बॉन एपेतीत

Jó étvágyat

Buon appetito

いただきます

peSop

하겠습니다

Kos deg med maten

Smacznego

Poftã bunã

Приятного аппетита

Dober tek

Afiyet olsun

Смачного

بون appétit

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
the only time I've ever had an Italian beef, I didn't really enjoy it b/c of how soggy it was. it completely fell apart in my hands in seconds. I don't even remember where I got it (somewhere in Humboldt Park), but it turned me off it them for a while. now I want to try them again, but this time, not get them "dipped"

actually, the very first time I had an Italian Beef was when I was visiting Chicago for the first time. I went to some random sandwich shop (NO CLUE where! I was just aimlessly wandering the city that day!) and asked if they made steak and cheese subs. the person behind the counter gave me this weird look, but said yes they did, so I order one. go back to my hotel room and find out that my "steak and cheese" was NOT what I was used too at all! in hindsight, I think I got an Italian beef w/ cheese. it was probably an excellent sandwich, but it wasn't a steak and cheese so I threw it out! I still can't find a place that makes a decent steak and cheese. in Boston, little sub shops are everywhere and they all served steak subs; not so in Chicago (I can barely find sub shops at all!). I kind of miss them now, but I realize that Chicago is an Italian beef town, so I'll survive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago