Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times

Advertisements

Who are Chicagons cheering for in the Super Bowl today? I think most of us who post here are too young to remember or have any connection to the Chicago Cardinals, but I'm wondering if anyone is pulling for this team today because of the tenuous Chicago connection? I know it's a stretch.

Personally, I'm going for the Steelers because Pittsburgh is a heck of a town and I really hate the city of Phoenix. And I couldn't care less about the "Cinderella Story"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
I have always liked Kurt Warner. When most people wrote him off (after he left the Rams) I knew better than to do it. The Bears had a chance to get him. I was a strong supporter of the Bears signing him. He wanted to come here. The Bears screwed up.

One of the places the Cardinals used to play in was Comiskey Park. They played in Chicago for about 60 years.

I would be rooting for the Cardinals even without the Chicago connection. The Chicago connection makes it more justifiable to myself. Also one of our favorite troll's of late is from Pittsburgh. Which gives me another reason to root for the Cards.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
The Cards left town long before I was around, so no personal connection here. But I tend to like a good underdog story (and we've had some good ones this year between the World Series and the Super Bowl). However, as a former Pittsburgh resident, I'm gonna have to take up with the Steelers this time.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,469 times
I like the Cardinals. Pittsburgh Steerlers are a bunch of thugs. One of their thugs injured Carson Palmer and thus hurt the hopes of the Bengals for the past three years... There is nothing athletic or interesting about finding manimals for every position and then watching them run over people every play.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Harold Washington said he was sad when the Cardinals left. I hadn't a clue to what he was talking about.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
There is nothing athletic or interesting about finding manimals for every position and then watching them run over people every play.
You're watching the wrong sport.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
There were attempts to make the Cardinals the "South Side Team". The Bears played at Wrigley, and Halas blocked plans to have the Cardinals play anywhere north of Madison. Soldier Field was rennovated in 1959 for the Cardinal's use, but they only used it until they left in 1960. So I guess the Bears can thank the Cardinals for warming up their stadium for them.

I guess I do like the players better on the Cardinals, but am just so anti-Phoenix that I can't get past it. I had to spend way too much time in that hot strip mall town as a kid (my grandparents moved there in 1983). And Pittsburgh is one of the most underrated cities in the country, in my opinion (not culturally, but in terms of the built and natural landscape of the place).

Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I wasn't aware the Cardinals existed until this year (I suppose it goes without saying I don't watch football). But I'll go for the Steelers this year as I have a lot of friends from PA and they are really excited. I'll be heading up to a party in a bit, but I'm mostly there for the food and commercials.

Last edited by j33; 02-01-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Steelers.

only because i don't want my dad to have a heart attack and die.
he takes this football thing way too seriously.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,469 times
Default uh.. no...

I am watching the right sport. Have you ever played football drover? I played for one of the most recruited high schools in the nation. Albeit I was not recruited and hence did not play in college. I had plenty of teammates who did, and they weren't always the ones with braun. I have seen it a million times, but one specific guy rings in my mind as the example of why you are wrong.

In the High School division championships, one of our D-linemen was started who was known at the time to likely to get kicked out for failing all his classes that same year. he was a Sophomore. Weighing in at around 280, this guy put up over 400 pounds as a Sophomore. But he was literally all braun, would work out for 5-6 hours a day in the Offseason, and had an armspan that was very long to hold that kind of strength. We were down by seven with 1 minute left and the coach, who had been basically keeping him in the school by fighting with the VP of Academics, told him "you get that ball NOW." hit him on the helmet and he went out. The next play this guy PICKED UP the ball carrier, a 200 pound running back, MID RUN and physically body-slammed him on the field, forcing a fumble (though winded the guy was fin). None of us had ever seen anything like it, and may never see it again. He grabbed the loose ball and ran a very messy route for a touchdown. We won the division.

He was expelled one month later.

He never played football for another school, but DID find success helping his honestly less physical brother.

His brother now plays for the Ravens, was able to maintain his academics, and would rarely bonehead plays like his brother, who was honestly and sadly quite thick did. So yes, size matters, but not as much as the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago