Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Ummm, its February, people. Im curious why people suggested boat tours and strolling through gardens?!?!

I would recommend simply strolling Michigan Avenue, especially north of the river. Go up to the John Hancock observatory or get a drink up there at the Signature Room instead. Head down and grab lunch at Lou Malnatis or Ginos East, be sure to get the deep dish. Then spend your remaining few hours strolling around (weather depending) and admiring all the architectural wonders around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM

207 posts, read 798,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ummm, its February, people. Im curious why people suggested boat tours and strolling through gardens?!?!

I would recommend simply strolling Michigan Avenue, especially north of the river. Go up to the John Hancock observatory or get a drink up there at the Signature Room instead. Head down and grab lunch at Lou Malnatis or Ginos East, be sure to get the deep dish. Then spend your remaining few hours strolling around (weather depending) and admiring all the architectural wonders around you.
I might just do this. I just have to decide if I want to go to the Art Institute before or after lunch. Is there any particular reason you recommend the John Hancock observatory over the Sears Tower? Aside from the fact that the Sears Tower is farther away? Are there any particular intersections that I should look for or should I just stroll Michigan Ave?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Take a taxi to the Planetarium (it's right behind Shedd Aquarium). From there you'll have a terrific view of the skyline in all directions.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine_and_Will View Post
Okay, here's my plan. Find my way to Adams Station and go to the Art Institute. Buy my admission ticket and check my carry-on. Then leave and walk up Michigan Ave....up all the way up to the John Hancock observatory and get some pizza at Gino's East. Hang around for a bit and then find my way back down to the Art Institute, check out the art and then go back to Adams station and find my way to the blue line and take it to O'Hare. Does this plan sound reasonable? Any suggestions? I plan to call the Art Institute to make sure that they allow people to come and go and will let me check my baggage.

Thank you all so much for your help! I'm not much of a traveler but am very excited about this little solo excursion!
Art Institute:
"Checkrooms
$1 per item. The following items must be checked before entering the galleries: any parcel, purse, bag, or tote 13-by-17 inches, backpacks, baby carriers, long umbrellas, and briefcases. Food and drink are not allowed in the galleries and cannot be checked. The Art Institute of Chicago reserves the right to refuse checking services for any items at any time."

http://www.artic.edu/aic/visitor_inf...nfo.html#hours

You need to buy a One Day "Fun Pass" at the kiosk at Union Station. You will save big bucks on CTA fares by doing so.

1-Day CTA Fun Pass for $5.75 (unlimited time use)

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...ridecards.aspx

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-02-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine_and_Will View Post
I might just do this. I just have to decide if I want to go to the Art Institute before or after lunch. Is there any particular reason you recommend the John Hancock observatory over the Sears Tower? Aside from the fact that the Sears Tower is farther away? Are there any particular intersections that I should look for or should I just stroll Michigan Ave?
The Sears Tower is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY closer to Union Station than the Hancock. The only reason the Hancock is suggested is you can go to the bar in it (Signature Room) (which is very close to the observation deck) and buy a drink or two without paying admission. If you go to the observation deck you pay admission without getting any drinks. Make sense?

Since you are limited on time forget about the Hancock. Just go to the Sears Tower.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Art Institute:
"Checkrooms
$1 per item. The following items must be checked before entering the galleries: any parcel, purse, bag, or tote 13-by-17 inches, backpacks, baby carriers, long umbrellas, and briefcases. Food and drink are not allowed in the galleries and cannot be checked. The Art Institute of Chicago reserves the right to refuse checking services for any items at any time."

The Art Institute of Chicago: Visit: Plan Your Visit

You need to buy a One Day "Fun Pass" at the kiosk at Union Station. You will save big bucks on CTA fares by doing so.

1-Day CTA Fun Pass for $5.75 (unlimited time use)

Deprecated Browser Error
It may be a good idea to check your coat/jacket. As I remember all outer apparel must be worn, not carried in the museum. Also, doesn't the AI have a day for free admission (Tuesday or Thursday?)

Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
...Also, doesn't the AI have a day for free admission (Tuesday or Thursday?)
It does on Thursdays (between 5-8pm G.A.only.) I first posted that, but backtracked (and edited) when I saw the OP will be here on a Saturday. So it does not matter in this case...

Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It may be a good idea to check your coat/jacket. As I remember all outer apparel must be worn, not carried in the museum. Also, doesn't the AI have a day for free admission (Tuesday or Thursday?)
I've carried my coat while inside the AI, and this was in Dec (so I had my heavy wool coat). I suppose it wouldn't matter if they checked their coats or not, but it seems like a big hassle to get their coats out of the coat check area if they want to leave the museum for a bit but come back for their bags

Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM

47 posts, read 107,582 times
hi everyone...i saw this thread and instead of starting a new one, I'll just piggyback ride on this one...

I'm going to have 6 hours to chill out in chicago - yes, wait time in between trains...based on what i've read here and in other threads, I'm def. going to the art institute and I want some pizza!

but I will pretty much be walking everywhere...so does anyone know of good pizza near union station specifically or near the art institute? I've been through the forums and I think I would prefer the deep dish/pan/stuffed variety to the thin crust but a place that serves both would be good too...i can decide when i see it.

also, is walking from union station to the art institute doable? on google maps it doesn't look TOO far...and if the weather is nice, I don't have a probably walking around to explore a place...i prefer it actually

so any input would be appreciated. thank you.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Definitely walkable. I had a friend who was a student at the Art Institute who took the train to Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago