Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 14,791 times

Advertisements

Hi, you guys, I am an international student from Shanghai, China. And I have been admitted as one of the future master students by IIT, majoring in the field of food safety and tecnology. According to the official website of IIT, it is said that that master degree is given by both IIT and National Center of Food safety and Technology (FDA).

My questions are:
1) According to Google Earth, its campus are located at the cross of W 65 TH St and S Archer Rd, Summit Argo city, 60501, so is that a safety area to live for any foreign student like me ?

2) Is there anybody happen to know something about IIT or that degree offered ?

Thanks so much for you guys. And great appreciation for your help from Far Asia, Shanghai, China.

ps: the attachment is just a picture of Shanghai
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody know National Center of Food Safety and Technology @ IIT-20060803131953259.jpg  

Last edited by robinshen; 02-10-2007 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,323 times
Default Congrats

Welcome to Chicago, and congratulations....

First, the main IIT campus is located on the southside of Chicago, very close to Comiskey Park, and Chicago's very own Chinatown,

IIT's 120-acre Main Campus stands in the midst of a vital, developing urban community. The architecturally historic campus, designed by one of the 20th Century's most renowned architect's, Mies van der Rohe, is located approximately 3 miles south of the Chicago Loop, 1 mile west of Lake Michigan and 1 block from the White Sox baseball park.

Our location offers students unlimited opportunities to enjoy art, music, drama, films, museums and other entertainment. We are also convenient to the city's major recreational areas such as Soldier Field, Grant Park, Lincoln Park Zoo, various bicycle paths, and lakefront beaches. Just blocks from two major expressways, bus and elevated railroad lines have stops on campus, and campus shuttles provide free transportation between the main campus and the West Loop campus.

In addition to student housing - undergraduate residence dorm, graduate apartments, fraternity and sorority houses - many faculty and staff live on campus in recently constructed condos and town homes.

Two major additions to the campus are scheduled ready for occupancy the Summer of 2003: a new student center and a new residence house.

Now the food safety center is located on Archer avenue, in the middle of two surburbs, Summitt and Argo, I drive by it regulary and it appears to be one large six story building with parking.........located behind the building to the North, is one of the largest agricultural corn processing plants, most of America's corn crop is shipped there for various processing, (We local residents call it corn products), It is huge, about the same size of Hong Kong Harbor the inlet part of the harbor (I was in the US Navy 7th fleet prior to the hand over to China proper)

Both areas are safe, but your probably going to live closer to the main campus than the food safety institute,

When searching on the net, or the interlink (I believe thats what asian nations call the internet) just do a google search, for the Illinois Institute of Technology and you will get more info than you need............

You will find out very quickly that you wont be the only Chinese person studying and residing near the main campus area........you will find friends and groups to join the day you arrive.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
One thing that may or may not matter to you about Chinatown, but it's worth pointing out just in case it might be a source of friction... the loyalties and sympathies of Chinatown's residents lean more toward the Taiwan government than the government of mainland China. Like I say, I don't know if that makes a difference to you or not, but I want to make sure you're going in with your eyes open.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
Welcome to Chicago, and congratulations....

First, the main IIT campus is located on the southside of Chicago, very close to Comiskey Park, and Chicago's very own Chinatown,

IIT's 120-acre Main Campus stands in the midst of a vital, developing urban community. The architecturally historic campus, designed by one of the 20th Century's most renowned architect's, Mies van der Rohe, is located approximately 3 miles south of the Chicago Loop, 1 mile west of Lake Michigan and 1 block from the White Sox baseball park.

Our location offers students unlimited opportunities to enjoy art, music, drama, films, museums and other entertainment. We are also convenient to the city's major recreational areas such as Soldier Field, Grant Park, Lincoln Park Zoo, various bicycle paths, and lakefront beaches. Just blocks from two major expressways, bus and elevated railroad lines have stops on campus, and campus shuttles provide free transportation between the main campus and the West Loop campus.

In addition to student housing - undergraduate residence dorm, graduate apartments, fraternity and sorority houses - many faculty and staff live on campus in recently constructed condos and town homes.

Two major additions to the campus are scheduled ready for occupancy the Summer of 2003: a new student center and a new residence house.

Now the food safety center is located on Archer avenue, in the middle of two surburbs, Summitt and Argo, I drive by it regulary and it appears to be one large six story building with parking.........located behind the building to the North, is one of the largest agricultural corn processing plants, most of America's corn crop is shipped there for various processing, (We local residents call it corn products), It is huge, about the same size of Hong Kong Harbor the inlet part of the harbor (I was in the US Navy 7th fleet prior to the hand over to China proper)

Both areas are safe, but your probably going to live closer to the main campus than the food safety institute,

When searching on the net, or the interlink (I believe thats what asian nations call the internet) just do a google search, for the Illinois Institute of Technology and you will get more info than you need............

You will find out very quickly that you wont be the only Chinese person studying and residing near the main campus area........you will find friends and groups to join the day you arrive.
First thanks for your help. And it seems that you are a member of IIT, right ?

Second, as far as your opinion, being as a common American, wat's your idea of IIT, or that food safety program ?

Third, is there a high probility to find a job in Chicago, if I have graduated from Food Safety Master Degree ?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One thing that may or may not matter to you about Chinatown, but it's worth pointing out just in case it might be a source of friction... the loyalties and sympathies of Chinatown's residents lean more toward the Taiwan government than the government of mainland China. Like I say, I don't know if that makes a difference to you or not, but I want to make sure you're going in with your eyes open.
I am not a big fan for that, anyway, thanks all the time.

Friendly Chicago! GO! GO! GO!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,323 times
No I am not a member Of IIT,

I am a Cable Guy, I drive around a lot, and 100% of my work is done inside people's homes,

I dont know much about food safety except that it is more important lately, than ever, and I dont know much about the program, but I do admit the fact you are a student or will be a student of IIT, means your pretty dam smart, so take it seriously.

I cant even begin to tell you where you should start looking for a job in your field, except maybe the large food processing plants. It is safe to say that IIT will help you out a lot when it comes time to look for a job, you most likely will be recruited by some company here or there

Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
No I am not a member Of IIT,

I am a Cable Guy, I drive around a lot, and 100% of my work is done inside people's homes,

I dont know much about food safety except that it is more important lately, than ever, and I dont know much about the program, but I do admit the fact you are a student or will be a student of IIT, means your pretty dam smart, so take it seriously.

I cant even begin to tell you where you should start looking for a job in your field, except maybe the large food processing plants. It is safe to say that IIT will help you out a lot when it comes time to look for a job, you most likely will be recruited by some company here or there
Thanks, in Chinese, we say, "XieXie (Thank) Ni (You)"

Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,296 times
Smile how is going about your days in IIT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshen View Post
Hi, you guys, I am an international student from Shanghai, China. And I have been admitted as one of the future master students by IIT, majoring in the field of food safety and tecnology. According to the official website of IIT, it is said that that master degree is given by both IIT and National Center of Food safety and Technology (FDA).

My questions are:
1) According to Google Earth, its campus are located at the cross of W 65 TH St and S Archer Rd, Summit Argo city, 60501, so is that a safety area to live for any foreign student like me ?

2) Is there anybody happen to know something about IIT or that degree offered ?

Thanks so much for you guys. And great appreciation for your help from Far Asia, Shanghai, China.

ps: the attachment is just a picture of Shanghai
Hi, Robin! How is going about your days in IIT? The graduate program of food safety and technology is cool? I will also go to IIT for this program this fall. Could you share some of your experience about your study in the program at IIT? Thanks a lot

Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,296 times
Smile Anybody knows about the master program of food science and technology at IIT?

Hi, guys! I am from China but studying in Singapore. I was just notified about admission to the master program of food safety and technology at National Center for Food Safety and Technology of IIT? Anyone is familiar with this program? Is it worthwhile to pay such a high tuition fee for studying there? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelee View Post
Hi, Robin! How is going about your days in IIT? The graduate program of food safety and technology is cool? I will also go to IIT for this program this fall. Could you share some of your experience about your study in the program at IIT? Thanks a lot
Shanelee,

Robin has not posted on here in over two years. Unfortunately, I doubt shes going to help you with this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago