Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM

202 posts, read 763,108 times

Advertisements

I don't know how it really compares, but my band once played an outdoor music festival off of Rosa Parks Drive, I believe, but not sure, in Detroit. There were blocks and blocks and blocks of abandoned buildings, and then at night several of the buildings were inhabited by vagrants, with huge fires in the middle of the buildings. Also, several gunshots were heard throughout the night, including a car pulling up to our van with all our gear inside, a man driving asked what was going on, we told him what was up, and he said, "good, I'm gonna come back and kill of ya and steal your s--t." That was a fairly bad experience to a pretty decent night, but from my own first-hand experiences, this was the worst neighborhood I had been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
dont even think about telling me that philly is as bad as chicago.
Are you joking? Philly doesn't have nearly the same degree of gentrification that Chicago has--though it's definitely happening there on a large scale. Philly also has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago, and the housing conditions are worse.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
LA isn't even in the same ballpark...it's kiddieland compared to here.
Areas like Compton and South Central LA do lack the tenements that you will find in the midwestern ghettos. It is hard to tell when you are transitioning into a bad neighborhood.

However, the area is just as deadly.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times
where is camden?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
where is camden?
It's in New Jersey, just across the river from Philly.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
dont even think about telling me that philly is as bad as chicago.
I would say it's worse, or at least feels worse. I went to college in Philly and had to drive out to the Puerto Rican neighborhood periodically, (which in itself wasn't too bad,) but I had to drive through some pretty nasty places to get there. I think what makes these areas seem scarier than Chicago's "bad" areas, (which I visit periodically for my job now,) is that the streets in Philly are so narrow and there are many row houses which are boarded up or falling down. In Chicago, there are also lots of boarded up and dillapidated apartments, but they are set far back from the streets, which are wider. There are a lot of vacant lots in Chicago, whereas in Philly - the slummy buildings are right on top of each other, and right on the street. I also saw people doing crack in broad daylight in Philly, among other sketchy things. I felt unsafe driving through Philly, I don't feel particularly unsafe driving through any neighborhood in Chicago during the day.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Default Absolutely true...

...as much of the Mid-Atlantic (Trenton, Philly, Camden, Wilmington and Baltimore) is in bad shape; all of these cities are filled with dilapidated row houses that are boarded-up/falling down; lots of urban renewal to be done here..

Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Are you joking? Philly doesn't have nearly the same degree of gentrification that Chicago has--though it's definitely happening there on a large scale. Philly also has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago, and the housing conditions are worse.
it may be worst overall, but there are parts of chicago that are worst than any part of philly.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...as much of the Mid-Atlantic (Trenton, Philly, Camden, Wilmington and Baltimore) is in bad shape; all of these cities are filled with dilapidated row houses that are boarded-up/falling down; lots of urban renewal to be done here..
Huh... never really knew or suspected that about Wilmington. Then again about the only thing anyone outside the Philly area and Delaware know about Wilmington is that seemingly every bank in America is incorporated there.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Huh... never really knew or suspected that about Wilmington. Then again about the only thing anyone outside the Philly area and Delaware know about Wilmington is that seemingly every bank in America is incorporated there.
It is actually the hub of a few major credit cards, not many national banks that I'm aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago