Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
There is a "School of Rock" in Chicago. It's on Ashland just south of Belmont. They also have locations in Evanston, and Highwood.

School of Rock | Chicago

Hope this helps, and ROCK ON!
You beat me too it. Cut him a demo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
A middle schooler I know goes every summer to Camp Jam. He is also an aspiring rocker like your son. This is a kid in Ga, but I think the Camp has nationwide locations.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I would call the bars first before you bring your kid there. Many bars in Chicago will not let a minor in under any circumstances (even if they are a performer.)

Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Thanks for the ideas...

A friend just recommended we check out the All Age/alcohol-free shows at the Clearwater Theatre in Dundee...

http://www.clearwatertheater.com/cwcalender.htm (broken link)

I'll also look at that Camp Jam. I think we'll probably do one of the camps at School of Rock - hope the instructors are good.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 24,091 times
Default "juice-box hero...."

This so reminds me of our son! He's 13 now and loves his music aand writing- though guild wars also keeps him busy. GRRR. Paul Greens school of Rock is great. He went there for summer camp when he was 11 and had a great time. Last summer as a 12 year old we sent him to Power chord academy at Loyola U.- an overnight camp and he loved it so much he's going back for 2 weeks this year. They form bands in teh beginning of the week and then work together to write and then perform thier songs. Good luck on the forming the band part. If you can find some other kids who are also passionate and just have them agree to work on 1 or 2 songs they could polish and do for an open mic- it might get the ball rolling.
Funny- I also grew up playing classical (suzuki trained violin) in LF. I'm so jealous that my kids get to learn thier instument palying songs by the Ramones and the clash.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
School of Rock has the added benefit of being right next to Art of Pizza. Drop him off to do his thing, and grab a slice of some of the best 'za in town on your way out.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Jahkie, Thanks for the ideas! I'll check out Power Chord Academy. I was also thinking about the School of Rock camp in Lake Geneva (but I think we'll wait a few years B4 we do an overnight camp).

We did start my son in the Suzuki violin and he absolutey hated it. I think it was too high-pitched for him and he didn't enjoy the Suzuki classical pieces. So I steered him into the cello (love that instrument). He hated it. And then the string bass (thought he could play some cool jazz). He hated it. And then piano (he could take it or leave it). All the while he was begging to play guitar and would never practice the other instruments.

Then I got a brainstorm - how about classical acoustic guitar? He loved it. But for him there was something missing - electricity and rock/blues riffs. So we switched from classical guitar to electric guitar and he has played nonstop ever since. So I guess I had to give up my dream of raising a classically trained violinist.

i blame history, try all the fancy music classes, there is always hope! Maybe you and your electric guitar playing hubby will have a kid that loves classical violin!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Default Oh no, it's starting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Girls, girls, girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Lot's of girls, if he continues this path.
I was just thinking that, in the Fall, he was in a talent show and played guitar onstage. He had no interest in girls. But following that performance, he started getting prank phone calls from girls and he told me that, at recess, the girls kept asking him who he liked. And right after that, he started writing all those love songs and wanted to grow out his hair! I thought it was a normal 10 year-old stage. But now I'm thinking it's the guitar! Ok, now I'm scared! Maybe he should go back to playing violin...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
no! the violin is like playing a flute. j/k

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
no! the violin is like playing a flute. j/k
Jethro Tull proved that even a wussy flute can rock out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago