Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoveloz View Post
Do you think the white people that live on Race are going to stay there? There are huge beautiful homes on Race and Midway Park just a block away from where I want to buy. Do you know if Columbus Park is safe?
That's the historic district. Lots of beautiful homes at bargain basement prices. YoChicago did a picture tour (Austin > Chicago neighborhoods > West / Southwest > New Home Notebook (http://newhomenotebook.com/neighborhoods.aspx?nhid=1008 - broken link)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM

9 posts, read 22,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
A major reason that gentrification is not happening in Austin is the lack of quality schools. I am not a big fan of Oak Park,but I must say that the schools in Oak Park are better than in Austin by a very large margin.

And as far as I know, there are not a large number of quality private grammar schools in close proximity to Austin (or high schools) that have enough space for a huge influx of yuppies with children.

I now see that Drover basically wrote what I wrote. But I will leave my comment as conformation of his statement.

There are also yuppies that do not have children and will probably not have any. Gay and Lesbian couples for example, or busy professionals...

Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Austin has not benefited from the teardown of all those CHA highrises. A lot of former CHA tenants have migrated to the neighborhood, and while not all CHA tenants are criminals, arguably a disproportionate number are.
Unfortunately many former CHA residents have been steered towards the South and West Side and are being concentrated in select neighborhoods. There have been multiple stories printed about this practice, but that's a completely different topic. Yes, a disproportion number of CHA tenants are criminals, and the few that are not have family members or friends who are. CHA tenants at the very least are trouble, if not criminal, definately ghetto. This holds especially true for former Robert Taylor and Cabrini Green tenants.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
...Gay and Lesbian couples for example, or busy professionals...
Many people of these natures want to be close to the "action." Oak Park is not exactly known as having a huge amount of "action."

And busy single professionals want to be close to their jobs in many cases.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
Quote:
Many people like that want to be close to the "action." Oak Park is not exactly known as having a huge amount of "action."
Oak Park however does have a pretty big and active gay community. Although most of the gay couples I've met in Oak Park tend to be older.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Oak Park however does have a pretty big and active gay community...
That is true, but it ain't a huge percentage like it is near the lake.

My point is I do not think there are enough gays in the Chicago area to gentrify (or that would want to) half of Austin alone.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
That's the historic district. Lots of beautiful homes at bargain basement prices. YoChicago did a picture tour (Austin > Chicago neighborhoods > West / Southwest > New Home Notebook (http://newhomenotebook.com/neighborhoods.aspx?nhid=1008 - broken link)).

Great slide show- thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That is true, but it ain't a huge percentage like it is near the lake.

My point is I do not think there are enough gays in the Chicago area to gentrify (or that would want to) half of Austin alone.

Well Austin is pretty big and I do not think it will gentrify completely- Perhaps the historic district. I may be alone in this... but I really would like to see the area come up. It's true that the gays like to be near the "action"- my friends' reaction to me deciding to move to austin/oak park was " it's so far from the bars" as if I ever go to boystown.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
It's just hard to believe that Oak Park being just one block away will not spill over. The blocks are filled with beautiful homes- it would be a complete waste!!! Is it really impossible to imagine that people from oak park and other areas will see the historic homes just on the other side of Austin Boulevard and decide to take advantage of the low costs and close proximity to Oak Park and turn the area around? I will definitely look at homes in North Austin as well thanks for the tip.
Historically, it's been the other way around, with the spillover in the form of crime going from Austin into east Oak Park. Positive spillover the other way hasn't really been there. There are nice houses in parts of Austin but everyone hitting it correctly in that it will be quite the gamble.

If you're set on the area and like vintage architecture, you should also check out Berwyn and Forest Park, which are considerably cheaper than Oak Park but much safer than Austin, and have better schools, which means that they may stand a better chance of ultimate gentrification than Austin does. I'd even put Cicero ahead of Austin in terms of gentrification odds.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Berwyn's schools are lackluster at best, and Forest Park is in the Proviso East district -- which is probably the only thing keeping it from becoming Oak Park II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago