Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Auburn Washington to Chicago, looking for information on; best areas to live, cost of living, low crime areas, best area schools

Old 03-07-2009, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 77,420 times

Advertisements

Good day to all. First of all, thanks to those who have posted so many answers to so many questions in the threads. I find it very useful.

Here's a long explanation to a short, focused question.

There is a great deal of information in the threads regarding moving to Chicago. I have never been to the city, but may (and hopefully will) be offered a position in the area next week - meaning moving in three weeks or so.

Where am I moving from? Auburn, WA (only been here two years and hate it)

What's important?

Of course I could go on and on with questions (and likely will on other posts, but for purposes of finding what's most important, I'll keep it to one simple question:

I'd like to know what the best GUARANTEED attendance public schools are (be it in the City or Suburbs). . . meaning that Middle/High School is my main priority. I would move within the boundaries of the school so long as I don't have to go through a lottery or similar process that seems to be popular with good schools these days.

I've read about Stevenson High School, but don't know if you need to go through any special process to attend there (i.e., applications and the like). My child is a very good student and has been in the gifted program in the school districts she has been (in elementary in Boca Raton, FL and Fairfax Co., VA) - straight As and maybe one or two Bs all throughout her life. Unfortunately, where we live, they don't have such a program which I feel is preventing her from growing academically to her full potential. She will be going to 8th grade in the 2009-2010 school year.

The reason I'd like a guaranteed attendance is so that we can move to just one place and know we are going to be there for the next five years until she finishes high school without having to move her again.

Thanks in advance to those who are willing to share some of this information with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Stevenson High School is in the suburbs. Lincolnshire to be exact.

Adlai E. Stevenson High School

Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
I would say Lincoln Park High School is the best standard public school in the city. There is another one that is college preparatory but I'm not sure the name, Also in city boundaries though.

I live off of North Ave and Larabee and am in the district for Lincoln but you would have to look on their website to see the complete district map. This area is also a lovely place to raise children. Lots of activities on-going, tree-lined streets, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Lincoln Park HS gets much of its reputation for its IB program and AP/Honors program -- great if your kid gets into one of these programs. Outside that program, LPHS's academic performance is slightly better than mediocre, and your kid still has to go to school with a whole lot of students who have no interest whatsoever in being there (though if your kids are in one of the aforementioned programs, at least they don't have to share a classroom with them).

Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 77,420 times
Smile Thank you

Thanks to those of you who responded. I have looked into LP a great deal and it seems that, while it has a great reputation nationwide, it does not share the same locally- unless you are in the special programs.

I am hoping I can get some more responses to focus my search. Our number one priority is the school with the neighborhood being a close second. I begun to look at apartments in Lincoln Park as it appears the common consensus is that this is one of the better neighborhoods all-around in the city. One minor glitch - decent-looking apartments appear to be no less than $2k plus parking. I was hoping to get by with a nice apartment for about $1,500 (and willing to pay some more for the right apartment in the right school district), but $2,500 is a bit out of my range.

Again, my main focus on this thread is actually the best schools (8th grade and above). I dont' mind being 15 miles or so from the City, if there are better choices regarding guaranteed attendance top schools.

Any more guaranteed attendance schools anyone may recommend? I will then do the research around those schools.

Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: