Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Well, Junior Terrace is a very nice area, one of the nicest in the city in my humble opinion. But be aware that it's very near some not-so-nice areas and that the closest L stop (Wilson Red Line) is the nastiest stop on the entire north side of the city, rivaled only by Howard and maybe Jarvis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 113,466 times
I was hoping to rely on the express buses for daily commute to downtown, but yes, on the weekends, we would be using the el to get around

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM

The Wilson stop is "OK" during the day, if barely. I'd avoid it altogether at night, mostly because of the territory you'd have to walk through to get there. I'd hoof it down to the Sheridan stop if you need to get to or from the Red Line at night.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM

We found a nice place in Andersonville, south of the Edgewater Medical Center. On Everyblock, the area at and North of Edgewater Medical Center has some crime, but it seems a lot less compared to even a relatively safe area like Lincoln Square. Does anyone have any comments about the Andersonville area around Bryn Mawr and Ashland? The Jewel there seems good, and there is a nice produce market right across the street from it. The brown line is easily accessible by the Damen bus (took 7 minutes to get there), and then taking brown line to the loop seems to be less congested (albeit slightly slower) than red line.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Oooh, the Edgewater Medical Center, birthplace of Hitlery Clinton.

Anyway, I used to live a block from there. Quiet, mostly drama-free area, and it has only gotten more upscale in the intervening years. The Clark Street corridor is one of the best dining/nightlife areas in the city. I don't remember where you're commuting to, but if you have to get downtown, it can be a bit of a haul. But you two fairly convenient options: 1) a 10-minute walk to the Bryn Mawr Red Line station, or catch the Damen bus on Ashland and take it down to the Damen Brown Line stop. I used to do the latter, and my commute to the Merchandise Mart took 40 minutes to an hour, depending on how long I had to wait for a bus.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oooh, the Edgewater Medical Center, birthplace of Hitlery Clinton.

Anyway, I used to live a block from there. Quiet, mostly drama-free area, and it has only gotten more upscale in the intervening years. The Clark Street corridor is one of the best dining/nightlife areas in the city. I don't remember where you're commuting to, but if you have to get downtown, it can be a bit of a haul. But you two fairly convenient options: 1) a 10-minute walk to the Bryn Mawr Red Line station, or catch the Damen bus on Ashland and take it down to the Damen Brown Line stop. I used to do the latter, and my commute to the Merchandise Mart took 40 minutes to an hour, depending on how long I had to wait for a bus.
This apartment is near there too. My plan was to take the bus to the Damen brown line. It should take an average of 40 minutes, but since the bus stop is a very short walk away, I feel good about the commute in the winter. On bad winter days, I just have to budget far more time, but there were very few other options that fit what we were looking for. Those that came as close were almost twice the price in rent.

Finding this place was like serendipity really. My wife and I did an exhaustive search based on all of the suggestions. We had two days to fit in as many appointments as possible and get to all on foot. The first day was lousy. We saw only one that we liked. The second day was staring lousy with agents not showing up to meet us or apts renting before we could even see them. One that we were scheduled to see had rented that morning. The landlord called and said that he had another property we might like based on our criteria. We had mapped out every apartment we were scheduled to see to make sure it fit most of the criteria. So, spending the time to go see one that we had not planned on was illogical to me, however, I had a good feeling about this landlord. As it turned out, the one he showed us fit almost everything we wanted. We were walking around Clark, North of Bryn Mawr, and were just very happy with the area. Thank you all for your help. We are looking forward to moving to chicago and beginning our future there.

There was an apartment locator who was very helpful, and two locator services that were not. I recommend Carmen Ramos at Groupfox (carmen@groupfox.com). Eventhough we did not choose one of her listings, she was considerate and respectful to our priorities. The other two we tried to use were apt people and apt and condo center.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Oooh, the Edgewater Medical Center, birthplace of Hitlery Clinton. ...
Yeah and John Wayne Gacy.

...and myself.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchicago View Post
This apartment is near there too. My plan was to take the bus to the Damen brown line. It should take an average of 40 minutes, but since the bus stop is a very short walk away, I feel good about the commute in the winter. On bad winter days, I just have to budget far more time, but there were very few other options that fit what we were looking for. Those that came as close were almost twice the price in rent.
One thing you have going for you that I didn't back then was the CTA bus tracker that will tell you within a couple minutes when a bus will arrive. I had to go out and just stand there without a clue if the bus was coming in 45 seconds or 20 minutes. Plus, they just upgraded their service so you can get e-mail notices sent to your cell phone or Crackberry or whatever, so you'll even know when you're standing at the Damen train station and you don't have a computer terminal in front of you.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah and John Wayne Gacy.

...and myself.
and epic Medicare fraud!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
One thing you have going for you that I didn't back then was the CTA bus tracker that will tell you within a couple minutes when a bus will arrive. I had to go out and just stand there without a clue if the bus was coming in 45 seconds or 20 minutes. Plus, they just upgraded their service so you can get e-mail notices sent to your cell phone or Crackberry or whatever, so you'll even know when you're standing at the Damen train station and you don't have a computer terminal in front of you.
While not convenient, there is one more route to get to the loop. One could take the 22 to near the Rogers Park Metra and then take the metra into downtown. I suspect that would be fastest, but since I pay for a UPass anyways, it is also the most costly. My wife and I were taking brown line during "rush hour" and it was nowhere as crowded as the others. I figure I could even get a half hour of reading done.

Is there anything a renter should know or make sure is taken care of with regard to "vintage" apartments in these old buildings? Common sense things are to make sure the stove, fridge, light fixtures, and peephole work. But is there anything in particular about these older apartments that is important to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago