Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
...I don't think "gooning" is really a hate crime, just a bunch of juvenile delinquents who get a ride off messing with white people or people who appear to be different. This probably why you don't see this type of behavior in the local news, because it really is not serious, just bullying. Back in college I was friends with a girl who was gooned in uptown, and they were calling her all these disparaging white ethnic slurs, and throwing stuff at her...
What???

Are you kidding me?

Ok, let me go get a couple of my friends and we will do the same to some black people and get caught on purpose.

Watch how law enforcement, the Mayor, the black community,fanatical liberals, the church, Jesse Jackson Jr.,and the media (as well as whomever else you can think of) will call it a hate crime.

We would be thrown in prison.

I think you really do not have a good grasp on the realities of how things work.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Ah, colonialism. Since you're Irish, I wouldn't think you'd like these guys much!

At that time more than half the soldiers in the British army were Irishmen, the Irish are a pugnacious and martial race. Soldiering was also a good living in a poor country. Even Scottish "Highland" regiments had many Irishmen in them.

More Irish served the King than ever fought him. It's a part of Irish history that some Republicans (the Irish political movement not the American one) find unsavory and would hide away.

My grandfather was a professional British soldier in the Royal Irish Fusiliers, 1908-1919. Being a Catholic in Ulster he wasn't good enough to work at the good jobs reserved for Protestants but he was good enough to kill Pathans and Germans for King and Country. He took 3 gunshot wounds during the Great War and was damned lucky to have survived; he went into Belgium in 1914 with the 1st Battalion of his regiment, about 800 men. During the course of the war the battalion had 1700 killed and over 4000 wounded. As I recall about 300,000 Irishmen were killed in the Great War but don't quote me, I packed my books for the move back to Chicago today.

Many Irish are proud of the part Ireland played in the Empire while at the same time resenting the injustices the Empire inflicted on Ireland. Kind'a schizoid, eh?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
...Many Irish are proud of the part Ireland played in the Empire while at the same time resenting the injustices the Empire inflicted on Ireland. Kind'a schizoid, eh?
I do not see that as being radically different for Blacks (or Italians, Greeks, Irish, etc in the old days) here really...

It is a conundrum is it not?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I do not see that as being radically different for Blacks (or Italians, Greeks, Irish, etc in the old days) here really...

It is a conundrum is it not?
It makes sense. I think the racial and ethinic divisions fall away when you're facing mustard gas from the Kaiser or the Blitz from the Luftwaffe.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
It makes sense. I think the racial and ethinic divisions fall away when you're facing mustard gas from the Kaiser or the Blitz from the Luftwaffe.
Well I am not saying I do not understand or it is as simple as you state (although what you said makes sense and is part of the explanation.)

I meant the use of the word conundrum in this sense:an intricate and difficult problem.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times
I need to stop reading this forum.. everyday I become more fearful of living in Chicago

Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Awww.
It's much worse elsewhere.
And worst back in the day.

There's 5 million people or more in this county.
Of course stuff is gonna happen.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
This type of thing is called "gooning", and it's been a big problem in Rogers Park, Edgewater, and Uptown for several years now. Basically, "gooning" is a bunch of black teenagers bullying white people walking around in smaller numbers--often including beatings. This is HIGHLY unusual in River North, and I'm surprised that they got away with it.

My Mom and her family are from Hammond, and my grandfather used to tell me stories about something called "bump a white" happening in Gary in the 1940s. Basically, it was "gooning" with a different slang term attached to it. He claims it started after Joe Louis won the world boxing title.

If "hate crimes" legislation is going to exist, it needs to apply to black on white attacks as well.
I wish they would've "gooned" me when I was living there. Nothing better than taking some of life stress'es out on some punks! I'm serious too, I wish they would've. Wouldn't been my first beating, everything heals in do time anyway.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Awww.
It's much worse elsewhere.
And worst back in the day.

There's 5 million people or more in this county.
Of course stuff is gonna happen.
I know but its seems like it happens a lot. I dont know. Im just a bit spooked now. Not nearly as excited as I was before about moving to Chicago. =(

Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I know but its seems like it happens a lot. I dont know. Im just a bit spooked now. Not nearly as excited as I was before about moving to Chicago. =(
Settle down, nothing is going to happen to you in Chicago. Stay on the Northside and you'll be fine. Chicago is a city of 2.8 million people, things are going to happen there, just accept it and live your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago