Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 AM

161 posts, read 389,020 times

Advertisements

I have been curious what would the city have to do to get the people who flead the city back in the 90's, 80's, early 00's to come back. There is certainly enough room for them here on the depopulated south side. What do yous guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Reestablish law and order and civilization.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
how strange.
they move out its white flight
then come in its gentrification.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Schools that don't suck would help.

You'd think there would be a ton more magnet schools since there is obviously a huge demand for them and the city knows it. Unfortunately, what I suspect would happen is that if there were enough magnet schools to serve actual demand, the racial balance would lean disproportionately toward white and maybe Asian students and the grievance establishment would cry "racism!"

Naturally, the city would rather placate the victim-pimps than provide better educational opportunities.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
soon the burbs will be the ghettos.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
soon the burbs will be the ghettos.
Many already are. Looking at your "location", you may already be quite familiar with one of them.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
I have been curious what would the city have to do to get the people who flead the city back in the 90's, 80's, early 00's to come back. There is certainly enough room for them here on the depopulated south side. What do yous guys think?
Well continually raising taxes on everything as Daley and Stroger have been busy doing is NOT a way to attract anyone, much less white folks with half a brain. Guess their solution to loosing more business and residents is to again... RAISE TAXES! What geniuses we have ruining... I mean running this city.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
I don't see working class whites moving back to the south side. It is far more likely to see an increase in the Mexican population on the one hand and perhaps among white professionals in certain areas on the other. In fact both are currently happening in isolated areas. Still, though, the breadth and depth of blight is so great over such a large area that it's really hard to imagine anything but incremental changes without a large influx of middle class residents. I don't see that happening, though, as long as the schools suck and crime is out of whack compared to many middle class suburbs.

Perhaps dramatically higher transportation costs or deteriorating conditions in the suburbs would also help. Maybe also if there were a change in perception of mostly minority urban neighborhoods -- maybe a few examples of ones that are safe and prosperous.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Maybe also if there were a change in perception of mostly minority urban neighborhoods -- maybe a few examples of ones that are safe and prosperous.
I think the "rising real estate prices forcing poor minorities out" model is a more likely scenario...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
In general I agree. I was thinking that maybe certain reasonably maintained middle class neighborhoods that are well located with a solid housing stock (Chatham, Pill Hill, etc.) could attract a greater diversity of residents. Now they are basically 100% black. Most white people aren't going to tolerate the crime levels in Chatham when they can move to one of 25 suburbs with no violent crime for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the "rising real estate prices forcing poor minorities out" model is a more likely scenario...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago