Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How do you know the school he attends specifically has a rule against using the term dumb ass?

Like I said before, the word "ass" is allowed on public T.V. and Radio now by the F.C.C. as long as it is not used in a sexual manner.

This case should be fairly easy to win.

Free Speech.
I dont know but if he is any grade between k-12 its a pretty safe bet.
This is the problem with todays youth. A bunch of sissys that dont want to own up and take responsibility. They just want to ***** and moan about everything. How else do you think Obama got elected? The same kids that can vote now voted for him

Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
I didn't realize schools were now regulated by the FCC. As someone else pointed out, a school is a bit different than TV. I'm sure the teacher wasn't mad that he insulted Obama, but used "dumb ass" I'm sure you would've alos got detention if you called a different political figure, celebrity, another student, or a teacher a dumb ass. It's probably not considered appropriate language for school.
Well the F.C.C. allows usage of the word ass as free speech since it can be spoken on the public airways now in ways it could not before. Therefore the 1st amendment covers the OP's usage of the word ass. It obviously is no longer considered vulgar to say in public (except when used in a sexual manner.)

If the U.S. Supreme court wants to overrule the F.C.C. let them try to do so. If I was a lawyer, I would go to the Supreme Court against usage of the word ass on the public airwaves. If the court judges against the argument against the word ass obviously the OP will win his case against the school. If it does not, ass will be removed from the free speech lexicon.

If ass was considered a vulgar word legally to use in public why does this site not censor the use of it? If I type in terms such as f*** or p**** they are censored.

That should be your first clue that this case is easily won.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-23-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
The thing is this is school. You might be able to say "dumb ass", and "*****" on TV or on the radio, but most K-12 schools would consider that inappropriate language to use in a classroom setting. There's better ways to voice your frustration with current political leaders in class, not to mention it just makes you sound dumb.

AAACK there's censorship on CD! THIS IS WRONG!!!!!! I want to say B.ITCH!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 02-23-2009 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: DOWN WITH CENSORSHIP!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
I think you're getting a bad deal and should fight it. Get your parents to go in and say that they won't allow them to do this or get a lawyer.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM

"You commie, homo-loving sons of guns!"

Sean Penn
================================================== ==========
Free Speech

(However inappropriate and stupid the top statement was-it is still free speech...)

But if Charlton Heston or a number of other people said this to the Academy-libs would be all over his ass (no pun intended.) Do people not see the double standard now?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 PM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Not really a fair analogy there Avenger. The Academy is famously liberal. Again you continue to conflate the use of bad language with political criticism. If you are just trying to drive a wedge here you are sorta successful.

How about this...try saying something negative about Bush at Crawford High School. You might not even need to curse to get at least a stern talking to or even, OH MY GOSH!, a detention.

EDIT: kinda side note...but i remember getting a detention for airing my criticism of my computer technology teacher...and to this day i still think she is a dumb *****. Being mean does not make up for being stupid! [/rant]

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Once again, Avenger, we all know that free speech is a good thing, but assuming the kid's in high school, precedent isn't in his favor.

It's been established that free speech doesn't apply, in its truest form, in schools. Sucks, but there it is. Stage a march. Get all Al Sharpton on it. Unlikely to change much.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
...How about this...try saying something negative about Bush at Crawford High School. You might not even need to curse to get at least a stern talking to or even, OH MY GOSH!, a detention...
If that actually happened the ACLU would be all over it.

Lets see if what the OP is going through gets their attention.

People have been speaking vulgar slander (much worse than calling him a dumb ass) against Bush for YEARS in Colleges and High Schools. I have never heard of anyone getting punished for it.

Perhaps you can find evidence that people have been ?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
This isn't a slam on West lawn Kid, but God save this country if every student who feels they have been given detention unfairly takes it to court.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
This isn't a slam on West lawn Kid, but God save this country if every student who feels they have been given detention unfairly takes it to court.
Ever hear of Rob Sherman and his brainwashed/puppet kid?

http://robsherman.com/

"Here's a lightly-edited narrative of what sparked his suit as taken from his legal complaint. (.pdf)

When [Sherman's 10th-grade daughter] Dawn attempted, in December of 2008, to enroll in driver’s education, she was informed by school administrators that she would have to pay a fee of $350...

Rob Sherman contacted [the Buffalo Grove High School administration] to inquire as to what the fee money was used for....[Officials told him] that approximately $150 of the fee was to cover expenses such as the cost of cars, car maintenance, gas, oil and insurance. The other $200 of the fee was to offset staffing costs, such as teacher salaries and benefits....

Sherman had no problem paying the “Lab fee” (Rob Sherman’s term for it) of $150, but the policy of charging public school students a fee for staffing costs seemed to be inconsistent with Article X, Section 1, of the Illinois Constitution, which states, in pertinent part, “Education in public schools through the secondary level shall be free."

[School officials told him] that the Illinois School Code allows a Driver’s Ed fee of $50 (see 105 ILCS 5/27-23)...[and that the district] had applied to the State Board and the General Assembly for three waivers, over the past twelve years, to raise the driver’s ed fee first to $250, then to increase it to $350."

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news...-a-prayer.html

LISTEN TO THIS:
http://robsherman.com/information/radio/barack.wav

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-23-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago