Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

20 posts, read 58,684 times

Advertisements

I recently acquired a bike. It is an old 1981 Raleigh. Great shape and everything. Then again, I know nothing about bikes.

I have yet to ride a bike within the city. I went out today and felt really intimidated.

Do you have any tips for me? What should I be weary of as far as bike parts/maintenance?

Also...how do I keep people who ride bikes from laughing at my amateur bike skills, haha. Kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineBlueLine View Post
Also...how do I keep people who ride bikes from laughing at my amateur bike skills, haha. Kidding.

Punch 'em in the nose.

Keeping a bike is pretty simple; mainly keep air in the tires and keep the chain oiled. Of course there are people who are "into" bikes and make the simple complex but that's another story.

There are many websites out there on bicycle upkeep, this site is a good place to start.
Harris Cyclery Articles

Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM

20 posts, read 58,684 times
Thanks a lot!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times
As far as tips on riding, just avoid the major streets (because who needs that?) and keep moving. Treat biking like driving, in that if you're the slower traffic, just stay to the right and don't be bothered by people who pass you. If you're passing others, give a nice audible "On your left!"

Don't wear your ipod. (If you're on super quiet streets you know well, you might be able to do one ear at a low volume, but seriously... not worth it to try to jam to Journey's Greatest Hits whilst pedaling.)

Don't talk on your phone.

Avoid potholes like the plague, as a little Raleigh road bike will cost you a fortune in tubes if you go barrelling into every pothole on the road.

Work those calfs and feel good about biking.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,700,886 times
I am a major biker with 7 bmx 7 road bikes and 2 mtn bikes. Essentailly, what you gotta carry around with you is tools and gear to fix a flat tire, pump it up, lock up your bike, and maybe night lights of you bike in the dark. The Light & Motion brand lights are good and cheap on ebay.

Otherwise, join and look at Cyclingforums.com for lots of bike advice; I'm a 5 year member there!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 PM

72 posts, read 260,425 times
try to be aware of car doors opening (of parked cars while you pass them) - happens very often.
besides that - make sure your bike is in good shape: breaks, light etc and there you go!

for some more info: Chicago Bike Map (http://www.cityofchicago.org/Transportation/bikemap/keymap.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,543 times
Just remember, Loud Pipes Save Lives

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopMADD View Post
Just remember, Loud Pipes Save Lives
Bicycles. Bicycles, friend.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM

504 posts, read 1,485,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineBlueLine View Post
I recently acquired a bike. It is an old 1981 Raleigh. Great shape and everything. Then again, I know nothing about bikes.

I have yet to ride a bike within the city. I went out today and felt really intimidated.

Do you have any tips for me? What should I be weary of as far as bike parts/maintenance?

You're going to have to remove the derailleurs and brakes if you're planning on riding your Raleigh in the city. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

In all seriousness though, the advice in this thread is pretty good. If you don't want to carry an extra tube, pump and tire levers with you, bring your CTA pass. Because you're going to get flats now and then. Also, get a decent u-lock if you're going to leave your bike anywhere. I'm thinking a low-end kryptonite (used like this: Lock Strategy) should keep thieves away from an old Raleigh.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,700,886 times
No, you don't have to remove your derailleurs or brakes. Just don't leave your bike locked out overnight in any area where it can be stripped of parts. Yes, carry a CTA card with money on it because I had a puncture flat so bad running through NAILS on the road that no flat repair kit could fix and the CTA buses with their front bike racks took me home!

Besides, hardly anything is of value to strip on a 1981 Raleigh. That stuff is too old and unique, unless the stuff is useful to another old biker thief... It must be a road bike because Mtn Bikes didn't exist back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago