Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times

Advertisements

Easy commute neighborhoods would be University Village, Tri-Taylor, Pilsen, Ukranian Village, and Wicker Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM

179 posts, read 480,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Easy commute neighborhoods would be University Village, Tri-Taylor, Pilsen, Ukranian Village, and Wicker Park.
Not to forget Bucktown. he good thing about these hoods is that you could avoid going through the Loop which is a pretty time consuming detour.
If you have a high tolerance for a commute of like one hour or slightly more, Lakeview and Lincoln Park would also be fine. If tha's the case even Lincoln Square or Ravenswood and a bunch of other hoods up North would be ok, the commute from like Ravenswood might be even be slightly shorter than from Lakeview, depending on the exact location.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Not to forget Bucktown. he good thing about these hoods is that you could avoid going through the Loop which is a pretty time consuming detour.
If you have a high tolerance for a commute of like one hour or slightly more, Lakeview and Lincoln Park would also be fine. If tha's the case even Lincoln Square or Ravenswood and a bunch of other hoods up North would be ok, the commute from like Ravenswood might be even be slightly shorter than from Lakeview, depending on the exact location.
Yeah, Bucktown, the Hamlin Park area, and Roscoe Village are all realistic options as well, provided the OP finds a place close to Damen.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
...Otherwise you'll have to do some transferring. To get northwest to LP or Lakeview you'd probably want to take the Damen bus north to the blue line, take the blue line into the loop and transfer to the red line to head to those North side neighborhoods...
QUOTE=jdiddy;7703336]Yeah, Bucktown, the Hamlin Park area, and Roscoe Village are all realistic options as well, provided the OP finds a place close to Damen.[/quote]

Additional info for the OP:

The western portions of Lake View and Lincoln Park are very close to Damen, or have Damen bordering, and in certain parts encompass Damen.

Unless the OP moves really close to the Lake (like east of Southport or so), using the train is usually not beneficial. (It depends: there are cases where it is very much so if one lives close to a Red or Brown line station.)

If one lives in the western portion of either Lincoln Park (like West DePaul,Sheffield Neighbors,Wrightwood Neighbors) or Lake View (like Hamlin Park and West Lake View) or Roscoe Village and North Center for that matter the Damen bus is sufficient. One can walk a few blocks east (or west) if needed after the bus ride.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-02-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^^ That is actually a really good point. But that will be a very long bus ride. Damen north of 6 corners is a freakin' nightmare (in large part due to the awfulness that is the Elston/Fullerton/Damen intersection) and it doesn't get much better north of there during rush periods.

Not that it would be much, if any, worse than dealing with the trains to commute to the eastern parts of LP or Lake View.

Honestly, I can't see much reason to live in either of those neighborhoods when you have several perfectly good options within a much easier commute.

I have a commute of well over an hour in the evenings, and my advice to anyone is: avoid that if you can. For me, it's an easy call. I'd rather have that commute than move back out to the suburbs.

But if you can live in a fun, vibrant, nice, safe neighborhood AND have a nice short commute -- DO IT. I guarantee you'll be happier in the long run.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^^ That is actually a really good point. But that will be a very long bus ride. Damen north of 6 corners is a freakin' nightmare (in large part due to the awfulness that is the Elston/Fullerton/Damen intersection) and it doesn't get much better north of there during rush periods.

Not that it would be much, if any, worse than dealing with the trains to commute to the eastern parts of LP or Lake View.

Honestly, I can't see much reason to live in either of those neighborhoods when you have several perfectly good options within a much easier commute.

I have a commute of well over an hour in the evenings, and my advice to anyone is: avoid that if you can. For me, it's an easy call. I'd rather have that commute than move back out to the suburbs.

But if you can live in a fun, vibrant, nice, safe neighborhood AND have a nice short commute -- DO IT. I guarantee you'll be happier in the long run.
Yeah, you're probably right. I live around Damen/Belmont currently, and I was thinking of the length of commute heading to the United Center in the evening rush, which is only about 35 minutes. But occasionally I've taken the damen bus south to the Blueline when I need to work downtown mornings (since Paulina closed). That can take a half an hour in itself. Going back north during rush hour is probably worse, as it backs up at North, then Fullerton, then Diversey.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 16,398 times
Great, thank you all for your suggestions. I'll take a look at all the neighborhoods suggested. I really do not want to have more than an hour commute so I guess the closer I am to Damen the better. Which neighborhood, that is close to Damen, would be best for a young single woman? I really like Lincoln Park, are any of the other suggested neighborhoods similar to it? I also want to be in a safe area.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red27 View Post
Great, thank you all for your suggestions. I'll take a look at all the neighborhoods suggested. I really do not want to have more than an hour commute so I guess the closer I am to Damen the better. Which neighborhood, that is close to Damen, would be best for a young single woman? I really like Lincoln Park, are any of the other suggested neighborhoods similar to it? I also want to be in a safe area.
Bucktown.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Ditto jdiddy.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
I would go with Roscoe Village around Damen and Roscoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago