U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 AM

15,587 posts, read 24,632,483 times

Advertisements

I just logged onto Monster.com for the first time in ages. There are all kinds of jobs on there even in today's economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 AM

9,600 posts, read 15,337,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'm pretty sure McDonald's is hiring. the Dunkin Donuts near Wabash and Harrison also appears to be hiring. I don't work for either of these companies
Why make fun of McDonald's? It's one of the most well run companies in the United States, if not the world. I wish more Chicago based companies were like them.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM

12,390 posts, read 25,959,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I just logged onto Monster.com for the first time in ages. There are all kinds of jobs on there even in today's economy.
yeh but its still down,

the main problem is, instead of 50 applications for one job, your probably going to get 500

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,197,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeh but its still down,

the main problem is, instead of 50 applications for one job, your probably going to get 500
Agreed. I knew a girl who was competing for secretarial jobs with people who had masters -- in a good economy that wouldn't be the case.

It's also very industry specific. Some industries have absolutely no job postings right now.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM

6,026 posts, read 14,196,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why make fun of McDonald's? It's one of the most well run companies in the United States, if not the world. I wish more Chicago based companies were like them.
how did you get the impression I was making fun of them? I was being quite serious. like I said, beggars can't be choosers (if I lost my job, I'd be applying to that DD right now)

Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM

38 posts, read 67,933 times
geico is hiring in Chicago - they have an auto damage appraiser job listed on the website.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

170 posts, read 495,345 times
Quote:

I spent over a month on monster and careerbuilder before I gave up. With my college education, I finally found some data entry on craigslist that was actually NOT a scam, and I work from home and it's okay for now. Believe me, I'm very greatful.

My husband is currently looking for even just a dishwashing job with his psychology degree. He was doing just that, for less than minimum wage under the table, until another employee had a friend who wanted a job. Now we're back to trying to figure out how to legally pay rent.

So many jobs want specific experience. Sure, we both have psychology degrees, but no "relevant" experience. The only job I've ever had was in an office for 4 years--I can't even get on at McDonalds because I have never worked in foodservice or operated a cash register.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 25,959,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
I spent over a month on monster and careerbuilder before I gave up. With my college education, I finally found some data entry on craigslist that was actually NOT a scam, and I work from home and it's okay for now. Believe me, I'm very greatful.

My husband is currently looking for even just a dishwashing job with his psychology degree. He was doing just that, for less than minimum wage under the table, until another employee had a friend who wanted a job. Now we're back to trying to figure out how to legally pay rent.

So many jobs want specific experience. Sure, we both have psychology degrees, but no "relevant" experience. The only job I've ever had was in an office for 4 years--I can't even get on at McDonalds because I have never worked in foodservice or operated a cash register.
why not go back to school? psychology is typically a degree you need a masters or phd in to be a money making practitioner...

(source: lived with psych grad students and ex gf was getting a neuroscience phd after undergrad in psych)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM

170 posts, read 495,345 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
why not go back to school? psychology is typically a degree you need a masters or phd in to be a money making practitioner...

(source: lived with psych grad students and ex gf was getting a neuroscience phd after undergrad in psych)

We know... we listened to four years of teachers laughing at anyone who didn't plan on going to grad school. We're not looking to practice psychology... we really just want to be able to make modest money somewhere and start a family. Lots of money would be fun but climbing corporate ladders and being doctors isn't what we see ourselves doing, which probably sounds stupid to everyone else.

My husband is into music (record stores, being in a band) and I'm more interested in being a mom and working with kids... but alas, no daycare/nanny/etc job for me: I didn't major in education, and I have no experience. My husband didn't get a job in a guitar store because he has never "worked in a guitar store before." Screw the fact that he can talk for hours about the stuff and he's played for 11 years, to the point where he stopped lessons because the teacher couldn't teach him anymore; he's never sold a guitar in a store before, so of COURSE he'd be terrible at the job!.

To me, it's no wonder nobody has jobs... since everyone hiring will pretty much only hire someone who is already their employee, nobody can get hired. The most general jobs are asking for ridiculously specific experience.

It was kind of a mistake for me to go for psychology as I have enough "issues" and a history of crap that would both make grad school almost mentally and emotionally impossible for me (I'm just glad I made it the 4 years in undergrad), and I doubt I could realistically get any sort of professional position. I'm not ruling out grad school in the future, but it probably wouldn't be for psychology. I'm just totally burned out on school, having started at age 3, and all I really want to do is make some money to live off of for now.

My husband's sister in law has the same degree from the same school, although she's several years older than I, and she's a successful social worker. I'd love something like that, but I'm starting to think she just got lucky to get that job without a social work degree.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM

188 posts, read 446,977 times
Yea i can definitely agree that the job posting are looking for ridiculous amounts of experience. Our college runs a small job engine like monster, and everything is typically just sent in and put on the website, never really reviewed by any administration. The crappy part is these jobs are asking for 2-3 years experience, a 3.5 gpa, and you have to be a minority or handicapped. Sadly its a tough school and id say only 10% of the people have 3.5, its a 95-5% white to black, and handicapped students are even lower. Hopefully the economy will turn around sooner than later, cause ive busted ass for 4 years to get a job downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: