U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

170 posts, read 496,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Yea i can definitely agree that the job posting are looking for ridiculous amounts of experience. Our college runs a small job engine like monster, and everything is typically just sent in and put on the website, never really reviewed by any administration. The crappy part is these jobs are asking for 2-3 years experience, a 3.5 gpa, and you have to be a minority or handicapped. Sadly its a tough school and id say only 10% of the people have 3.5, its a 95-5% white to black, and handicapped students are even lower. Hopefully the economy will turn around sooner than later, cause ive busted ass for 4 years to get a job downtown...

Yeah, my husband was interviewing for a simple restaurant job, and he was told that his resume was a little sparse. He is 23 years old and just out of college... how many years of hedge fund managing do they expect to see on there? He did, however, work at a country club for ten years as well as have sandwich making, CD store, and dishwashing experience. Sounds okay to me for someone who just finished school, but apparently it's not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 AM

5,732 posts, read 9,342,620 times
To you recent college grads - Have you considered an internship (paid or unpaid) in your field? This is how I first got some relevant experience to get my foot in the door. Are there still a lot of internship postings out there? Or have companies cut these jobs as well?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM

188 posts, read 447,751 times
Ive recently thought about that, just because so many interns do get hired by the company. For some reason though every time i look at the qualifications, you need to be enrolled when working at that company. I will be graduating in May so I would not be eligible for a internship. Ive only recently started looking so possibly there are internships out there that do not require this

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM

170 posts, read 496,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Ive recently thought about that, just because so many interns do get hired by the company. For some reason though every time i look at the qualifications, you need to be enrolled when working at that company. I will be graduating in May so I would not be eligible for a internship. Ive only recently started looking so possibly there are internships out there that do not require this

I haven't seen many internship postings, but the ones I have seen, you need to be a student. Regardless, we need money to live on, and even if the experience of an internship would be good, we can't pay rent with that. Everything I've seen required "current enrollment" and other things that I just don't have, plus a lack of money that I need.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,712,557 times
This may help someone out there so I am posting it:
================================================== ========================================
"FedEx Office Provides Free Resume Printing on March 10
Strives to Help Individuals Affected by Downturn of the Economy

DALLAS, March 4, 2009—FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko’s), an operating company of FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX), today announced plans to offer its printing services in an effort to help job seekers across the nation. The company will host “FedEx Office Free Resume Printing Day” on March 10, 2009, offering to print up to 25 copies of each customer’s resume for free."

FedEx Office Provides Free Resume Printing on March 10 | FedEx Global Newsroom
================================================== ========================================
"Staples offers taxpayers a break, free copies and scans of documents
Posted by Daniel Vasquez at 10:42:25 AM

...From April 5 through 15 , customers will be able to make up to 20 free black-and-white, double-sided copies of 2008 tax returns. The company is also making it easier for customers to keep an electronic and secure copy of important documents by offering 100 free scans of PDF documents until July 4 at all Copy & Print Center locations to anyone who purchases a USB flash drive."

Consumer Talk | Sun-Sentinel Blogs: Staples offers taxpayers a break, free copies and scans of documents (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/consumerblog/2009/02/staples-offers-tax-payers-a-break-free-copies-and-scans-of-documents.html - broken link)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,488 times
It sounds like the best time to be anything right now is somewhere inbetween. Not totally overqualified and overeducated but definitely enough.. Oddly enough I kinda fit that margin. I've been at the bottom and worked my way to Office Manager/Executive Assistant without any college whatsoever.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM

188 posts, read 447,751 times
Well the thing is that if you have a finance degree you just need to ride out the storm, tougher than it sounds. Since all of these sub prime mortgages, and the housing collapse, there will be a wave of new regulations. With that being said the old veterans and their way of thinking is almost over, the new wave will come in and understand "the new" regulations. Just gotta hang tough......i hope

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM

149 posts, read 594,420 times
I agree with this statement. I think commercial real estate will take a year to hit bottom and then, just like with the RTC, there will be lots of work "working out" of this mess. Lots of commercial mortgages originated in 2004-2007 were 3 to 5-year balloons for repositioning properties (that never happend). There are lots and lots of construction mortgages on condos that will need to be addressed. There are conventional commercial mortgages with a typical 10-year term which have balloon balances and substantially lower values. Bottom line is there will be, in my opinion, a lot of work cleaning up this mess. I just think reality needs to set in, write-downs need to start appearing on balance sheets and companies need to staff-up to address messy portfolios.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,000,912 times
I know CDW is constantly hiring. The catch is that it's basically an entry level gig for fresh out of school types, and it's seriously just something you do until something better comes along, trust me.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,722 times
Smile negging me out

can't we get positive here a little? These job whinings are negative! I'm going to find a job, more are coming up all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: