Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,295 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I am relocating to Chicago in July, but I will unfortunately be working in the NW suburbs. I am unwilling to live outside of the city for lifestyle reasons (27 years old, single) so my strategy has been to identify nice places to live as far to the NW of d/t Chicago as seems attractive.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Based on my research and in talking to friends from Chicago, I think I have narrowed it down to Bucktown or Logan Square. I looked at Wicker Park, but Bucktown would seem to trump WP based on commute convenience, quieter atmosphere, without losing much (anything?) in the way of nightlife/shopping etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]My questions are as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1) How much time would one save on a commute by living in Logan Square versus Bucktown? (it looks like maybe 10 minutes to me based on a strategy of taking Milwaukee Ave until it meets up with I-90).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2) Logan Square seems to have a great vibe, but it doesn't seem to have the same nightlife and shopping options as Bucktown. The ability to walk from my apartment to a restaurant or bar and have a drink or two on a Tuesday is pretty important to me (and return safely). Will I have this ability in Logan?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3) Where are the nicer rental properties within LS or Bucktown located? I'm shooting to rent between $1200 and $1600/mth.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4) Which area is safer?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I lived in Lincoln Park (three blocks north of DePaul) for an internship this summer and I thought it skewed a bit too young/ a bit too fratty for my taste (in addition to terrible street traffic in the evenings).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I would really appreciate any comments/thoughts! Thanks.[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,885 times
Default Go with Bucktown

You will like Bucktown better. It is more trendy. It will take you 10-15 minutes longer some days to get to work but you will have more fun on the weekends and at night, plus it is a little safer (though always keep your eyes open in any part of Chicago, no matter how trendy).

You will find Bucktown more upscale and you should be easily able to rent a place in your $1200-1600 price range there.

I like Logan Square for investment and long-term potential, but feel that for a 27 year old who works in the burbs and wants to enjoy their weekends with presumably other yuppies, Bucktown is the place for you.

Bucktown is not quieter than Wicker Park (which actually extends north to bloomingale, ie abandoned train line).

Stick around North and Damon to even a little north and you should find what you are looking (i.e. Chipotle area).

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
The difference in your commute from Bucktown, Wicker Park, or Logan Square is basically negligible. Bucktown and Wicker Park are NOT that big, and probably take three minutes to drive across without traffic. They are basically the same neighborhood, and most people seem confused about where the actual border is between the two. Wicker Park has nicer buildings and a more historic feel with fewer teardowns, I suppose. The key when driving is to avoid passing through the clusterf#@& of the big six-corner intersection at North/Milwaukee/Damen. To avoid this, just hop over to Western or Ashland.

Logan Square is not nearly as gentrified as Bucktown or Wicker Park, and still has some significant gang issues. It's mostly a Puerto Rican and Mexican neighborhood, while Bucktown is mostly white and affluent. But because of this, you can get a lot more for your money in Logan Square--and it's safer than most Latino-dominated neighborhoods in the city.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:36 PM

By the way, you need to edit your post to get rid of the bad HTML code. It's almost illegible.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Where Humboldt mentioned is almost exactly where I live and I like it.

The main streets may be busy, but my tree-lined side street is really surprisingly quiet.

I think Logan Square can work for you too, and the commute would be mildly shorter, but I'm not sure it's enough to make it worthwhile.

Logan Square is a nice enough area and I think that it would meet your requirements just fine -- there is plenty to walk to and it's relatively safe -- though less so than WP/Bucktown.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

For some reason muggers always target Wabansia in Bucktown. Seriously. Keep an eye on the everyblock maps and you'll notice it after a while. It's almost uncanny.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 PM

And that's why I choose not to look at every block anymore. It scares me unnecessarily.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And that's why I choose not to look at every block anymore. It scares me unnecessarily.
It has helped me in the past (though it used to be through a different interface). For instance, I noticed that a lot of cars parked around the triangular park in Wicker Park (actually called "Wicker Park") got burglarized. So I stopped parking there.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Oh I agree and I don't mean to say it's not a useful tool. I just got obsessed with checking it for a while until I realized I was scaring myself by reading about every little crime that took place near me. I live there, I park my car there and I'm not moving, so other than taking all the precautions I can, there's really not much I can do about it. I still check it occasionally, but not with the gusto I once did.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM

57 posts, read 157,577 times
I previously lived in Bucktown and currently live in Logan Square, currently looking to buy in Logan Square.

Bucktown is a great neighborhood. It's beautiful, it's got a lot of trendy shops, bars and restaurants and it has many areas that are affluent and quiet. One of the nicest things about the place where I lived in Bucktown (near Cortland and Marshfield) was that it was only a half mile from the 6-way Damen, Milwaukee, North intersection that has everything, but my street was a very quiet and family-friendly area. The downside is that you are obviously going to be paying a bit more for rent for the proximity to all this cool stuff.

I'm a big fan of Logan Square due to its affordability and proximity to public transportation, highways and other good northside neighborhoods. If you want the ability to have a neighborhood bar, you definitely have to be a bit more selective with where you live in Logan Square. First off, if I were you, I'd want to live within a half mile of the blue line... this will give you the option to get moving to Bucktown/Wicker Park or even downtown on weekends. Secondly, I definitely prefer the area closer to Logan Boulevard. The boulevard in general is really nice and probably one of the better parts with more lighting, an open feel and more gentrification... lots of people walking around with dogs. There are only a few well known spots for nightlife in this main area of Logan Square. My two favorites are Dunlays near the intersection of Logan & Milwaukee and Logan Bar at California & Milwaukee. There are also a few bars on Milwaukee in between these two and the Bob Inn on Fullerton & Rockwell which is a bit of a "dive bar" in a good way. The downside is that the area is a bit more urban, with many working class latino families and slightly less nightlife.

Overall, I'd say that if you need to be right "in the action" that you should go with Bucktown. You'll definitely have a lot of fun living here. Logan Square is good, provided you stick to the better areas. It definitely has some nightlife, just not as much as Bucktown... it has more of an "up-and-coming" feel to it. Go with Logan Square if you don't mind less nightlife, and you want to save a bit of cash for some extra jager bombs on Friday nights.

FYI - I'm 26 so I definitely still like to go out to the local establishments every once in a while, but I'm also engaged, so I'm not out quite as often as you single folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago