Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
So, are you often in private booths at sex shops?
I was wondering the same thing

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You do understand that was the point right?

The ban was always framed as a health issue, but when you get down to it and really question people on their reasoning, nearly everyone I've met admits they just don't like it -- this goes along with my point about carcinogens from car exhaust.
The thing is why should people don't smoke have to tolerate second hand smoke? A 200 pound woman isn't forcing what she is eating down someone's else's throat. A smoker is forcing what they smoke down someone else's throat. Sorry, I'm never going to agree with this. If you want to smoke, fine, but it does affect other people who may not like it, and shouldn't have to tolerate it.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
The thing is why should people don't smoke have to tolerate second hand smoke? A 200 pound woman isn't forcing what she is eating down someone's else's throat. A smoker is forcing what they smoke down someone else's throat. Sorry, I'm never going to agree with this. If you want to smoke, fine, but it does affect other people who may not like it, and shouldn't have to tolerate it.
We're both missing the point. it's not you or me that's unfree. It's the bar owner who is unfree in Illinois.

You and me are free to go to whatever establishments we like. He's, however, not allowed to run his business the way he sees fit.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,767 times
Quote:
If you go back and actually read more than the first sentence of my post, you'll see that I was not complaining about the smoking ban. Hell, my home state of LA did it two years ago, and I, as a smoker, was relieved. I don't want to have to go to the cleaners every monday because of smoke smell in my coat from the weekend.

My post was about the irrational hate that people have towards smokers. If someone is smoking within the law (outside, at least 25 feet from any door) it should not concern anyone else. But for some reason, it does. With all the health risks out there, people seem to focus all of their attention on smoking, for no real reason that I can see. Anyone who smokes now does so of their own free will, knowing the health risks. What difference does it make to anyone else? The point was that fat people are just as dangerous to themselves as smokers, but no one goes out and yells at the fat people for being fat.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
If you go back and actually read more than the first sentence of my post, you'll see that I was not complaining about the smoking ban. Hell, my home state of LA did it two years ago, and I, as a smoker, was relieved. I don't want to have to go to the cleaners every monday because of smoke smell in my coat from the weekend.

My post was about the irrational hate that people have towards smokers. If someone is smoking within the law (outside, at least 25 feet from any door) it should not concern anyone else. But for some reason, it does. With all the health risks out there, people seem to focus all of their attention on smoking, for no real reason that I can see. Anyone who smokes now does so of their own free will, knowing the health risks. What difference does it make to anyone else? The point was that fat people are just as dangerous to themselves as smokers, but no one goes out and yells at the fat people for being fat.

I'll admit I did miss your separate last line on your first post. Honestly, I've never said anything to smokers except to a friend of a friend who insisted on smoking in MY house. (She was brought to a party I was giving by said friend.)

I would never go into a legally designated smoking area, and tell people they shouldn't smoke. That's their business. I'll just stay out of the designated smoking area.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
We're both missing the point. it's not you or me that's unfree. It's the bar owner who is unfree in Illinois.

You and me are free to go to whatever establishments we like. He's, however, not allowed to run his business the way he sees fit.
That's exactly right. Nobody forces people to go to a restaurant. If you don't want to go to a smoke filled restaurant, don't go to a smoke filled restaurant. Leave it up to the owner to decide though.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's exactly right. Nobody forces people to go to a restaurant. If you don't want to go to a smoke filled restaurant, don't go to a smoke filled restaurant. Leave it up to the owner to decide though.

Yes, which leads me to think that anti-smoking laws have less to do with health than with giving nosey parkers and finger-wagging old schoolmarms something to feel superior about and beat people over the head with. A modern form of Puritanism.

As for the stink, well at one time almost everybody stank. And there's many a day I came home from a hot day working in the steelmills and powerhouses stinking and a good honest stink it was. Not stinking shouldn't have the force of law behind it.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Damn, I guess I need to give my dad the uzi and .45 back.

I don't feel like my freedoms are limited here. On the contrary, I actually feel more liberated here. In Shreveport, LA where I grew up, everything was so small and backward that your future there was very limited. Here, though, I don't feel like there is anything (legal) that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do. Chicago is enabling.
You might be interested to know that Shreveport is all grown up into a beautiful city. I've visited several times and enjoy it.

Some of the comments the OP posted aren't exactly accurate. The no smoking ban that became law has been quite effective.

IL does have some stringent laws about carrying loaded guns. It dosn't mean you can't hunt or that you can't have guns at home, or that you can't carry your rifle in a truck or car. We can and we do. How you carry weapons in the vehicle is the question. It you are licensed to carry a side arm, then that is seperate issue.

Crime is not any worse in IL than anywhere else. So what if Chicago tax is 10%? You are not paying 10% for groceries. I lived in a city that 8% tax on everything incluing groceries and cars. In fact canned animal food was double taxed because could humans could eat it.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You might be interested to know that Shreveport is all grown up into a beautiful city. I've visited several times and enjoy it.
You're right, Shreveport is on the up-and-up. My parents and most of my old college buddies are still there, so I make it back a couple times a year. There is now a legitimate film industry there; if you want to work on the production/crew side of film making, you can do that in Shreveport. And like I still say, I have played golf from Destin to Vancouver and Austin to New York, and I still say that Shreveport has the best golf courses anywhere (combining factors like weather, price, tranquility, and pace of play).

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about bar owners losing this "freedom". The smoking ban is wonderful, and it will never be repealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago