Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which neighborhood(s) are the best in value for money? (pick three or more)
Lincoln Park 5 16.67%
Old Town 1 3.33%
River North 0 0%
South Loop 7 23.33%
Uptown 11 36.67%
Lincoln Square 14 46.67%
Logan Square 12 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM

527 posts, read 1,244,500 times

Advertisements

It's not urban compared to say Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square. Uptown lakeside is urban... Edgewater is slightly urban by the lake, out by Hopleaf it is more suburban in feel. I said "we live in downtown Chicago" as in you and me and Thique, not just me. You think I'd brag about that? I am proud of it, but it is not something I would brag about. Also, just because I love getting you mad doesn't mean that's why I am posting. If you recall this is about identifying a home for my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
What he's trying to say, is that what I 'consider' to be "urban", he thinks it's "suburbia". He's trying to protray himself as some kinda of 'ultra-cosmopolitan' guy, and the rest of us, as small town folk who don't know the difference. He's acting like Edgewater is some kinda of 'family-oriented mecca', that could be mistaken for the burbs.

He really doesn't have a clue, Edgewater is very "urban". There's more people who live in either apts or condos there, as opposed to single family houses. But he's try to say otherwise........ Not to mention all the business that exist there.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 AM

72 posts, read 167,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
I said "we live in downtown Chicago" as in you and me and Thique, not just me.
I don't live in downtown Chicago, I live in Hyde Park.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM

179 posts, read 480,720 times
Quote:
It's not urban compared to say Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square. Uptown lakeside is urban... Edgewater is slightly urban by the lake, out by Hopleaf it is more suburban in feel.
Please just stop that nonsense. Urban and suburban are words that a have a somewhat defined meaning and you can't just go andredefine em to match your feelings. It's like arguing that red somehow feels blue to you and that it's all a master of taste anyway yadda yadda yadda.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,071,869 times
Quote:
It's not urban compared to say Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square. Uptown lakeside is urban... Edgewater is slightly urban by the lake, out by Hopleaf it is more suburban in feel. I said "we live in downtown Chicago" as in you and me and Thique, not just me. You think I'd brag about that? I am proud of it, but it is not something I would brag about. Also, just because I love getting you mad doesn't mean that's why I am posting. If you recall this is about identifying a home for my friend.
Uptown lakeside is "urban"? So, anything in the Uptown west of Broadway or Sheridian is "suburbia"?.... Edgewater is "slightly urban"?... Tell me something, you either grew up in the Chicago burbs, or rural America somewhere, didn't you?...

Me getting mad? lol lol lol You're the one looking like you don't have a clue here, not me! You're "proud that you live in downtown"?........ After a statement like that, I KNOW that you're some kid from the burbs or small town America!....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Please just stop that nonsense. Urban and suburban are words that a have a somewhat defined meaning and you can't just go andredefine em to match your feelings. It's like arguing that red somehow feels blue to you and that it's all a master of taste anyway yadda yadda yadda.
I disagree with that, I think "urban" and "suburban" can be clearly defined in most places. Take a nabe like West Ridge (off Devon). Now clearly that nabe has alot of single family homes (especially the western part of that nabe) and definitely is getting close to having a "suburbia" feel to it. But Edgewater? I don't think so, in fact I KNOW so! Even West Ridge has parts that are very "urban", but I'm atleast conceding the fact that parts do look "suburban". Especially when you get close to Mc'cormick and head north off Devon.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
You live in Logan Square, far from downtown Chicago.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Hey, those kids from "surbia" call everything within 'city limits' "downtown". Most of them don't even know the difference. They think there's "downtown" then "surbia", no nabes in between.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM

527 posts, read 1,244,500 times
Default urban ls??

You mean urban LS? heheheh. I would also describe LS as surburban in comparison with some neighborhoods. Like Edgewater it has urban areas within it. Like on LS itself, California, and Milwuakee area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You mean urban LS? heheheh. I would also describe LS as surburban in comparison with some neighborhoods. Like Edgewater it has urban areas within it. Like on LS itself, California, and Milwuakee area.
You are soooooo "urban" and 'utra-cosmopolitan'! Times Square is probably a little too "suburban" for the likes of you.....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Lincoln Square Chamber of Commerce, Chicago

YouTube - Lincoln Square neighborhood video from Dream Town (even though everyone here hates them)

Lincoln Square, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it is still relatively affordable. Has an eclectic population from early 20s up to retirement age. It is not fratty or big 10 like LP and Lake View. The neighborhood is very walkable and offers nice amenities like restaurants, bars and shopping but it is not so crowded or touristy like E. LP and Near North that is becomes unbearable.

Wow wasnt aware at how suburbian Lincoln Park seemed. They have a town center shin-dig just like they do here in the Houston area.

Could anyone tell me a safe affordable neighborhood with a great view of DownTown chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago