U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM

1,966 posts, read 5,661,794 times

Advertisements

I don't like fronting my own cash for work trips. It can easily add up to over 1k/month and reimbursement can take forever. On the company card I don't have to worry about any of that. I leave a very nice tip to compensate for the monumental effort of swiping the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I always pay cash with taxis, it's easier for me and for the driver. Christ, it would never occur to me to pay for a taxi with anything but cash.

What's the big deal with carrying a few bucks around? Some of you guys are like a bunch of broads, paying for everything with a goddam credit card. You pay for a gallon of milk with a check too? Do you sit in the tavern with an Old Style, a shot of VO and your credit card on the bar?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,199,664 times
Yea, they should really install readers in the back of cabs. It would solve this whole problem.

And if for some reason a cab refuses to take a card, then tell him tough luck he's not getting paid. And if they threaten to call the cops tell them to be your guest..and voila: before you know it the reader will magically be working.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM

Right on. It works every time.

And if you don't do that you never force them to get accustomed to what should really be a pretty simple process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Yea, they should really install readers in the back of cabs. It would solve this whole problem.

And if for some reason a cab refuses to take a card, then tell him tough luck he's not getting paid. And if they threaten to call the cops tell them to be your guest..and voila: before you know it the reader will magically be working.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,416,130 times
I wish they would be better about taking credit cards, but I usually carry cash for cabs, unless I'm taking one home from the airport, and then I tell the dispatcher up front that I'm using a credit card, and to get me a taxi who won't give me a hard time about it. And usually that has always worked out okay for me.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM

527 posts, read 1,170,204 times
Default yeh...

I don't know that you should share your credit card with someone who doesn't want it, and doesn't have much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM

95 posts, read 308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I don't like fronting my own cash for work trips. It can easily add up to over 1k/month and reimbursement can take forever. On the company card I don't have to worry about any of that. I leave a very nice tip to compensate for the monumental effort of swiping the card.
YES!!!! It adds up quickly- and I don't want to wait for the reimbursement-so I always use company credit card-and it is kind of a pain-because I notice some push back from taxi drivers- they want cash first and foremost.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,636,058 times
I had a terrible incident with this when I first moved here. The guy was such an ass about it -- complained, said he couldn't do it, etc. until he realized I didn't have cash and I wasn't backing down. He finally did it, grumbled the entire time and then screamed at me when I didn't give him the tip he wanted -- I looked him straight in the face and said "If you weren't an ass____ I would have given you a proper tip." and walked away.

Tom -- I never pay cash for anything. I know older folks do -- my mom constantly carries cash -- but why should I when everyone takes a credit card? Yes, I use my credit card to buy groceries, even if it's only a few dollars. Yes, I pay with a credit card at the bar ... why shouldn't I?

I get hotel points for every dollar I spend on my AmEx -- so you pay with cash all you like -- I'll be laughing at you when I'm on my free vacation in Fiji

Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Sometimes it's a little more than push back. I've had full-fledged standoffs even when I have warned them ahead of time (which I always do).

My current solution is to use a single driver to the airport. I'm in the taxi desert south side so it's hard to get a cab anyhow. There is a very professional and hard working African guy who lives in Harvey and knows not to even ask me how I'm paying. He gets an $80 fare about five times a month and will always pick me up if I give him return info. No matter when I call he is at my house in twenty minutes. Works out very well, but that would probably be a hell of a lot harder on the north side where cabs are actually busy picking people up on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstengle View Post
YES!!!! It adds up quickly- and I don't want to wait for the reimbursement-so I always use company credit card-and it is kind of a pain-because I notice some push back from taxi drivers- they want cash first and foremost.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 AM

38 posts, read 68,920 times
I am normally up front with cab drivers about the credit card thing. It usually goes some what like this "I have 15 bucks or a credit card" since most of my cab rides are normally pretty long its rare i get below the $20.00 mark. On a regular basis the guys will go for the cash instead of running the card. They don't have to pay a fee and i get a cheaper cab ride.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,731,470 times
I have noticed this too, and it's really annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago