U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM

2,109 posts, read 4,902,724 times

Advertisements

I guess we live up to our "Second City" name when it comes to taxi "soivice". lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
In my old job, I used to travel between Chicago and NYC a lot, and found myself cabbing it from Lakeview to O'Hare and from LaGuardia to Manhattan (work paid for it).

It was never an issue paying with Credit Card in NYC, and almost always an issue here. Because there's not the centralized Taxi System that NYC has, you run into rogue cabbies that don't want to take credit cards.

My biggest nightmare was when I was delayed at LaGuardia and arrived at O'Hare around 1AM on a Thursday (so Friday at 1AM) and had a conference call at 8AM. After getting back to Lakeview around 1:30AM, the cabbie said his credit card machine broke and offered to drive me to an ATM. I lived literally next to a Jewel, so I went there, and took out the money (with the ATM fee).

My cab ride was 41 dollars, and he received 43. I said "if you would have let me pay by credit card, I would have gave you a nice 20% tip, but because you wanted cash, and made me walk to an ATM at 2AM, I deducted my ATM fee and some extra". Boy, was I pissed...if I wasn't so exhausted, I would have called 311 on him...I know he could have called it in. It was 2AM, I had been in a suit since 7AM the day before, and I couldn't wait to get home!

My advice? Always bring extra cash for cabs...it makes it a lot easier all the way around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,131,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I always pay cash with taxis, it's easier for me and for the driver. Christ, it would never occur to me to pay for a taxi with anything but cash.

What's the big deal with carrying a few bucks around?...

Yeah no kidding.

I usually have at least 20 bucks in my pocket at all times. I have more when I know I am going to need it.

Besides, when you have to grease someones palm-how in the hell can you do it with a credit card?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,131,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
BS. I have never had a cabbie call ahead to ask if it was maxed out or stolen. They like to know ahead of time so that they can drive off ...
Well I have seen them do it numerous times.

I never said there were not other reasons that they do not like credit cards. I was just stating one reason.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

1,950 posts, read 4,658,942 times
I remember one time I got drove home late one night handed the guy my cc and he said his thing was broken. So I told him that he's not going to get paid then.. Wow his machine started working magically. He asked me how much to charge on my cc... I told him the exact amount and he started freaking out. I told him that I would of gave him money if he wasnt an ass. The girl I was with gave him a couple bucks (I was pissed)

Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
Taxi drivers in chic. and suburbs MUST take credit cards...yes i am a driver too...we dont like because the company will charge us 10-15 % of the total charge....if ur driver doesnt accept the card the RIDE IS FREE!!!....IF U GET THE STORY THE MACHINE IS BROKEN ECT....WELL TO BAD SO SAD...the ride is free and tell the driver you will call the company...or the police...its the law in chi. and all suburban cab company honor credit cards....

Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,402,520 times
Cbot,

Do you also dislike credit cards as it leaves a paper trail. I am the banker for one of the larger cab companies here in Chicago and I continue to be amazed at how much revenue is not captured due to cash transactions. My guys own the tokens and employ the drivers as well as own 300 of their 600 cabs.

10MM in revenues seems really low for guys with that many cabs. I suspect they cheat on their taxes and would suspect their drivers do too.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM

5,195 posts, read 6,771,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
If they do....why? Do you, yourself use cash all the time. I am new to Chicago and find myself without cash a lot. I have a hard time communicating with a lot of the cab drivers, so I have been afraid to ask.
Give them your credit card, if they say no, just exit the cab and head to your destination. You dont have to pay them if you do not want to.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM

5,195 posts, read 6,771,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I take cabs constantly and refuse to back down. They are required to take credit cards. Usually, they act all weird about taking them and make excuses. I let them know ahead of time (even though it's not required) and say credit card or nothing when they start fumbling with the machine and trying to get out of it upon arrival.

My understanding is that they lose the charge fee from the fare. It is also a little slow and awkward for some reason, so they'd probably like to avoid it. I usually beef up the tip to make up for it if they behave normally.
Right on BRO! Stick it to them hard! Show em how you feel about their service!

Yea baby!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 PM

8,520 posts, read 15,092,270 times
The reason why cab drivers prefer CASH over Credit is this:

If you pay cash, they get to keep the entire fare. If you pay using credit, the cab company get's half of the fare.

This is a standard practice. Cab drivers will not tell you this but I know the owner of one of the largest cab companies in the country. He give me this "inside info".

That's why cab drivers will say things: My machine is broken, I don't except credit, etc....any reason to get you to pay cash. All of which I understand.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,613,191 times
So we've gone from "the cab companies take 5% to "they take up to 15%" to "they take half" if a fare pays with credit. How long before someone claims they just up and take the whole thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago