U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 AM

15,587 posts, read 25,162,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So we've gone from "the cab companies take 5% to "they take up to 15%" to "they take half" if a fare pays with credit. How long before someone claims they just up and take the whole thing?
That is how it all started with my first fiance-5%,then 10%,next 15%,half, and finally my whole paycheck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 24,251,294 times
I've only paid a few times with a credit card, but every time they've been uber fussy about the whole thing, and it was obvious they do NOT like taking credit cards.

I normally only ring up $6-$10 on my rides, so I always just throw cash at them. Plus if I'm in a cab that means I'm probably too drunk to take public transit, it's really late, and I probably couldn't sign my name anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM

57 posts, read 147,501 times
I had a suburban taxi driver tell me once that the take 5-10% depending on the credit card company. I usually take cabs to get to the airport, most often on the company dime. I want that paper trail so that if I lose the receipt, I can pull up my credit card statement and still get reimbursed. My least favorite thing is when cab drivers try to pull the whole "my machine is broken" thing. I had 4 cab drivers in a row try this **** at Midway, the taxi assistant at the airport kicked them all out (they were all from the same company, whichever the maroon ones are). I usually just say that I don't have more than $x and then their machine is magically working again, "oh, well - let me try, maybe it will work now". My card always seems to get charged... and guess what if they do try to pull that on me, I take a couple dollars off their tip. If they don't and they're nice to me, I tip very generously... so as to negate the effects of the credit card skim.

Just be thankful you live in a town like Chicago where it's standard to accept credit cards. I spend a good deal of time in Birmingham, AL and I always have to bring sufficient cash, because almost no cab drivers take credit - no laws or anything to require it there.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

27 posts, read 81,411 times
Yes they do!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 AM

364 posts, read 1,500,416 times
I commonly save myself money, but offering up my card, hearing the Cab driver ***** about it, and then saying "well I can either pay you with my card or I have X dollars in cash", with the X dollars obviously being less than the bill. 9 out of 10 times they'll take the cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago