Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 7,756 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm thinking of relocating to Chicago in the coming months from southern Louisiana. Just wanted to know what you current Chicagoeans think: is it a good time to move to Chicago?

Of course, I'm a little worried with the current state of, well, everything, so I'm going to try my best to find a job beforehand. I'm not opposed to moving without one and hoping for the best, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Most of us that post on this forum like it here. I'd be hesitant to move anywhere without a job right now, though. Other than that, there is no reason NOT to move here right now if you like Chicago and want to live here.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Have you lived in Louisiana or thereabouts your whole life? Have you spent considerable time in the upper Midwest during the winter? And I'm not talking like a week's vacation to a ski lodge in the Rockies -- it's different around here. It was 17 degrees here when I woke up this morning. Could you handle something like that for months on end where the only way to escape it is an airplane?

Job market's tight here right now. Probably not as bad as Louisiana, but unless you have some highly specialized and highly portable skill, it may be a while before you land something sufficiently remunerative.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Make sure you have enough saved to live on for 4-6 months if you're going to make a move. this is a very expensive city and the job market is quite bad.

Honestly? If you're gainfully employed at present, I would stay put, save like crazy and look at moving in 1-2 years when the recession is over. You won't enjoy this city very much if you're homeless.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 PM

161 posts, read 388,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Make sure you have enough saved to live on for 4-6 months if you're going to make a move. this is a very expensive city and the job market is quite bad.

Honestly? If you're gainfully employed at present, I would stay put, save like crazy and look at moving in 1-2 years when the recession is over. You won't enjoy this city very much if you're homeless.
Chicago is very inexpensive, unless you live in one of those overpriced yuppie hoods on the North side.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
Chicago is very inexpensive, unless you live in one of those overpriced yuppie hoods on the North side.
False

Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
No you are wrong. Most areas of Chicago WERE very inexpensive until about 7-8 years ago. Not anymore.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,959 times
If you live in Louisiana than any time is a good time to get the F*** out.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM

161 posts, read 388,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
If you live in Louisiana than any time is a good time to get the F*** out.
what wrong with Louisiana? I love that place, well except for New Orleans, but otherwise its a great. But there still war there if you know what i mean

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,959 times
Quote:
what wrong with Louisiana? I love that place, well except for New Orleans, but otherwise its a great. But there still war there if you know what i mean
OMG you cant be serious.

Louisiana is gross!

I dont want to explain all the reasons why I hate it because I really get worked up and I am trying to put it past me and focus on the future which is the only thing that keeps me going in the this hell on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago