Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,074 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are relocating from lovely Upper West Side, NYC with a toddler. We will be working in downtown Chicago and I am desperate for advice in terms of neighborhoods where the schools are good and the commute is less than 45 mins. Of course we care about pollution, parks, restaurants, and all that stuff. I am born in Sweden and would love some tips regarding any Scandinavian areas as well.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
The closest thing you'll get to a Scandanavian area is the Andersonville neighborhood, but I'd guess fewer than 5% of its remaining population is actually Scandanavian (primarily Swedish). But there are some remaining hints of its Swedishness including The Swedish Bakery, Ann Sather restaurant, Svea restaurant, and Swedish-American Museum Center. There's a Swedish-themed bar there too but I can't remember its name other than it starts with a K and it's not particularly Swedish except its name. Oh, and glogg is served at a handful of the bars there in wintertime.

That said, the schools in the area aren't too great. If you want something approximating an urban environment with good schools and a 45 minute or less commute, check out the suburb of Oak Park.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks,
So are the schools in Oak Park good (even the lower grades)?
Besides Oak Park, what other neighborhoods would you recommend?
Sorry but I don't know anything about Chicago.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyswede View Post
Thanks,
Park Ridge. It's on the Northwest side by O'Hare. The commute would be longer than Oak Park's though. Chicago isn't known for it's Scandinavian population but rather German, Polish and Irish.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM

308 posts, read 758,013 times
Park Ridge is a very nice, close suburb. It's just minutes away from the border of Chicago, most of it is within 5-8 minutes of the highway, excellent schools also.

Also, Evanston is a nice suburb, most of it, and it's not a bad commute either and they have a good school system.

Same goes with Lincolnwood.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyswede View Post
Thanks,
The first thing you should know about Chicago is that, at least in Chicago proper, it is really hard to find really good schools, especially beyond the 5th grade. I mean, you live in NYC, you know what urban school districts are like. That's why most of your recommendations are going to be for suburbs.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM

How does the inner city areas like Lakeview fit families with young children?
I am not sure I am ready for the suburbs yet.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,867 times
My wife and I moved from the UWS 2 years ago to Lakeview. We have a 21 month-old, and find that Lakeview is great for us. We weren't ready for the suburbs, either.

I would add, however, that some K-8 public schools are good on the northside, and many are lousy.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Some good family friendly neighborhoods to check out on the Northside are Andersonville, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, and Roscoe Village. NPN (http://www.npnparents.org/index.asp - broken link) is a good source for info about schools. They have a lot of good info online and run school fairs a few times a year that I've found to be very helpful in collecting info on schools around us. Chicago is the same as any large city for education - there are a lot of options but balancing cost, quality, convenience, etc. can be a daunting task

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Interesting, how was the transition from the UWS and what was your experience in cost of living between the two areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago