Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM

143 posts, read 460,032 times

Advertisements

Hi Chicago CD community. My daughter will be moving at end May/ begin June to Chicago. She prefers to live downtown. I'm interested in your thoughts on some specific apts I've been researching and any recommendations you have.

Some priorities: 1) Safety - she needs to catch a 7:10 train every morning at Union Station and will be getting back around 6:40pm 2) Proximity to Union Station Metra - she will be commuting to Buffalo Grove. The closer the better to cut down on commute time 3) Places where she's likely to meet other young professionals since she will be on her own - she's not into the Big Ten party scene in Lincoln Park (But she is involved with the Greek system at a Big Ten school so she is social). I'm thinking Lincoln Park is too far away from Union Station, anyway.

Here are some of the places I thought sounded good - 65 E Scott, 40 E Oak, 1350 N Lakeshore, Chestnut Place. We're figuring a budget of around $1,200 (give/take) for a studio or convertible. She will not be bringing a car and will depend on public transportation.

Are there places that only locals, like you guys, know about?

A few other questions - do you prefer bus or el? Are they jam packed by the time they get to the areas I'm looking at above? Has the rental market softened with the state of the economy? I know there won't be as many kids coming to Chicago from her school as in past years. We will be in town the first weekend in April to look at rental options. She's compiling her list and I'm compiling mine and we'll go from there.

Thanks, in advance, for your insights.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
I wish I was your child. Care to adopt me?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm a big fan of yours. I look forward to reading your posts.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,708 times
weird

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times
Why does she want to live downtown? It is safe enough if she is alert. Lots of tourists=lots of police presence. I had a friend in the Buffalo Grove a long while ago and I think we used to go to the last El stop by the lake (howard) and catch another train from there which may be easier than living downtown and going to Ogilvee or US. It's been a long time but I figure you could easily cut your commute time by living in Edgewater or Andersonville. Those are both safe and actually fun to live in.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Whoa, I just looked up my nonsense. How incorrect was I? I haven't gone over to Buffalo Grove since high school so forgive my ignorance. The Western Ave Metra stop on that line is pretty close to the California Green line stop so I used to get off there and walk.

I still stick to my original query as to why downtown. There really isn't much to do in the central business district after business hours so anytime she wants food or drink she will have to take the train or a nice long walk somewhere. I'd recommend living close enough to downtown to get to US quickly but still in a neighborhood with plenty of amenities.

With a $1200 budget for a studio she can live anywhere she chooses. If she doesn't want screaming drunks streeterville or river north might not be for her. I'd recommend Bucktown or Lakeview. South Loop is also nice but again that is a developing area so there are not a wide array of amenities to choose from.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Why does she want to live downtown?
She knows people in Gold Coast and West Loop. She lived in Buffalo Grove last summer but spent every weekend downtown with friends. She had a great time in the downtown area so I think she wants to give that a try. I know she'll be getting input from her friends and this will be her decision (her money) but I would like to have a perspective so I can feel comfortable as a parent.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
She knows people in Gold Coast and West Loop. She lived in Buffalo Grove last summer but spent every weekend downtown with friends. She had a great time in the downtown area so I think she wants to give that a try. I know she'll be getting input from her friends and this will be her decision (her money) but I would like to have a perspective so I can feel comfortable as a parent.
S**t, I want her job.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
. I'd recommend living close enough to downtown to get to US quickly but still in a neighborhood with plenty of amenities.

With a $1200 budget for a studio she can live anywhere she chooses. If she doesn't want screaming drunks streeterville or river north might not be for her. I'd recommend Bucktown or Lakeview. South Loop is also nice but again that is a developing area so there are not a wide array of amenities to choose from.

How long does it take to get to US from Lakeview or Bucktown? Would you take a bus or el?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
She knows people in Gold Coast and West Loop. She lived in Buffalo Grove last summer but spent every weekend downtown with friends. She had a great time in the downtown area...
I would pick West Loop over Gold Coast.

Union Station is within close range to Union Station.

The Gold Coast is too close to Cabrini-Green (the actual buildings that remain and the "mixed" income replacement housing for it.)

Besides Gold Coast (Rush/Division area) has far too many tourists that get sucked into those crap bars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago