Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times

Advertisements

No, Zagat has called it the top zoo for years. I haven't been to San Diego, so I'm not going to say anything against it, but from what I've heard, St. Louis does a far better job of putting the animals in a natural environment and letting folks get up close and personal with them. It's supposed to be St. Louis' specialty.

Also, important to note that St. Louis is the most popular zoo in the US -- but the fact that it's free surely must help it over somewhere like San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Says who? Many groups consider Lincoln Park Zoo to be a top zoo in this country. It might not be above the St. Louis zoo, but it is a top zoo regardless.
The Brookfield Zoo is considered to be a better zoo than Lincoln Park, but the Lincoln Park Zoo has the advantage of being in one of the most beautiful urban parks in the nation.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,061,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
No, Zagat has called it the top zoo for years. I haven't been to San Diego, so I'm not going to say anything against it, but from what I've heard, St. Louis does a far better job of putting the animals in a natural environment and letting folks get up close and personal with them. It's supposed to be St. Louis' specialty.

Also, important to note that St. Louis is the most popular zoo in the US -- but the fact that it's free surely must help it over somewhere like San Diego.
Oh, you're talking about "free zoos". San Diego has a tropical setting. Alot of those exotic animals look like they're in their natural enviroment there. I think that St. Louis would have a tough time reproducing that because of it's climate. It would look more artificial than san Diego's.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The Brookfield Zoo is considered to be a better zoo than Lincoln Park, but the Lincoln Park Zoo has the advantage of being in one of the most beautiful urban parks in the nation.
Brookfield is a nice zoo. Especially the ape & monkey planiterium.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Oh, you're talking about "free zoos". San Diego has a tropical setting. Alot of those exotic animals look like they're in their natural enviroment there. I think that St. Louis would have a tough time reproducing that because of it's climate. It would look more artificial than san Diego's.
No, I'm not necessarily talking about "free zoos." All I meant was that the fact that St. Louis' zoo is free probably has a bearing on its popularity over San Diego which costs a psychotic $35. I think its a true testament to St. Louis Zoo that it can be considered a top zoo without charging Six Flags-style admission prices.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times
Quote:
There is little between St.Lou and KC except small towns.
I realize it's not extremely big, but Columbia, at 100k, is not extremely tiny either.

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate your time in Missouri. I love Missouri myself. Of course I'm from Missouri. I've been to St. Louis a few times a year, Springfield at least once a year, as well as Lake of the Ozarks every year. I've met friendly people. Of course there are exceptions. And if you treat people like idiots or rednecks, or if you try to force your views upon them, you will not be well-received. I'm not saying you did that, but sometimes how you are treated depends on how you treat others. And, yes, in some parts of Missouri you will find a bit of Chicago resentment. Why? I don't know. Maybe as Missourians we're a bit defensive. Maybe we don't like condescending remarks from people from Chicago (or California). Maybe we expect those condescending remarks. Yes, we have some stereotypes about Chicagoans. I'm sure Chicagoans have stereotypes about us. But it has been my experience that if you are polite, courteous, and respectful, generally people will treat you well or they'll ignore you completely. And sometimes small towns are cliquish. That's just the way it is. Maybe you were polite, and minded your own business. I don't know. I'm sure there are rude people in Missouri. But at the same time, we need to watch how we treat locals of a place when we go there, to live or visit.

Quote:
I'm in a similar situation, although a little different. I moved to Chicago in January to take a job, only to watch the company close their Chicago doors within a month. I have an offer on the table for a position back in St. Louis, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to move back. At the same time, I haven't had any income here for a month now and unfortunately no end of that in sight. I do have an emergency fund built up that will last me another 6 months or so if necessary, but I'd prefer to not watch my bank account decrease by the day. What to do, what to do.
Beggars can't be choosers right now. If you've got a good offer on the table, you'd might as well take it.

Quote:
Actually Zagat rates St. Louis as the best zoo is the country as does Parenting magazine.

If you haven't seen the penguins at the St. Louis zoo you've never seen penguins -- you can get so close that people actually get poop on them occasionally! They have security guards so that no one steals them!!

I've never seen Lincoln Park zoo on a top-zoo list. If you can provide a link, I'll happily step back on this.
The Penguin house is nice, especially when it's 90 degrees outside.

Quote:
The St. Louis Zoo is one of the country's best. Actually, both Parenting Magazine and Zagat's call it the top zoo in the nation. Not only does the St. Louis Zoo excel at getting visitors face-to-face with animals, it's also respected for creating exhibits that resemble each animal's natural habitat (see my Zoo Photo Gallery). Surprisingly, it does all this without charging a dime for admission!
Quote:
The only way to get closer to a penguin is to be a zookeeper. At the Penguin & Puffin Coast, a short glass wall lets you watch the animals swim below water, or peer over the wall and watch them swim right below your nose. The experience is so up-close, you're likely to get a little wet as penguins splash and dive, or as the puffins dart and flip in and out of the water. Don't forget to look up, as penguins aren't shy about climbing on rock ledges just a few feet above visitors' heads.
Quote:
For a true look at Zoo history, stop by the Flight Cage built for the 1904 World's Fair. The cage is now home to the Cypress Swamp and 16 species of birds found throughout North America. It's a great exhibit for young children because the birds are free to walk, fly or swim throughout the entire exhibit. That means they're usually up-close and easy to see, and often fly right overhead or waddle right past your feet. There's also a floating bridge in the middle of the exhibit that kids like to walk across. The Flight Cage is one of the most recognized sites at the Zoo, but don't just walk by - stop in and see why it has been attracting visitors for more than 100 years.
St. Louis Zoo - Visit the Nation's Best Zoo

I'm sure Lincoln Park Zoo and Brookfield Zoo are nice as well. I'm simply passing along the link.

Flickr pics of the penguins: Flickr: Search (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=St.+Louis+Penguins - broken link)

Here's a little video of the penguins. You see the glass wall at the beginning of the video. The view shown there is the view everybody sees. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanctumsolitude/2400499110/ (broken link)

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-13-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,914,216 times
I say do it!!! You only live once and you could always take the experience gained from your job in STL back with you to CHI if you dont like it.

I live in STL and have spent considerable time in Chi. I can tell you that STL has everything to offer that Chi has with a lot more convienence and affordability. Chi may have more ABC dining options than STL but they are present in both cities. And dont act like CHI isnt experiencing severe economic problems right now either. They are in the same shape as STL if not worse. STL has developed a very diverse economy and will be ok in the long run just as CHI will.

A Chicagoan once told me that the main problem with someone who grew up in CHI is that they never have the ambition to visit or live in another city, and the ones that do dont see the other place with an open mind. You people from CHI need to get over yourself and realize there are other great cities in this world with STL being one of them.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I say do it!!! You only live once and you could always take the experience gained from your job in STL back with you to CHI if you dont like it.

I live in STL and have spent considerable time in Chi. I can tell you that STL has everything to offer that Chi has with a lot more convienence and affordability. Chi may have more ABC dining options than STL but they are present in both cities. And dont act like CHI isnt experiencing severe economic problems right now either. They are in the same shape as STL if not worse. STL has developed a very diverse economy and will be ok in the long run just as CHI will.

A Chicagoan once told me that the main problem with someone who grew up in CHI is that they never have the ambition to visit or live in another city, and the ones that do dont see the other place with an open mind. You people from CHI need to get over yourself and realize there are other great cities in this world with STL being one of them.
This is true, but STL ain't one of 'those' "great cities" you're talking about!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,914,216 times
Thats where your and my opinion differs.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Thats where your and my opinion differs.
If I had a 'brick', I'd smack you 'mama'!...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago