Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 3,056,803 times
Reputation: 257

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
well I will smack them back!
I'm not scared of that type of confrontation.
Really?.... You sure seem "scared" of EVERYTHING else about Chicago!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,415,134 times
Reputation: 250
Who makes up these rules?

I think I might make up some of my own.

But in all seriousness I wont have my car so I guess this is a headache I will be avoiding. Besides if I did have a car I would definately have to have my own parking space rightfully owned and paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,415,134 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Really?.... You sure seem "scared" of EVERYTHING else about Chicago!....
Yeah I know I am scared of a lot actually

But for some reason when I feel wronged or feel strongly about something all that goes out the window and I am ready to fight. My husbands keeps telling me to calm down and not be so fiesty, but I am latin I think I may not be able to help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 3,056,803 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Who makes up these rules?

I think I might make up some of my own.

But in all seriousness I wont have my car so I guess this is a headache I will be avoiding. Besides if I did have a car I would definately have to have my own parking space rightfully owned and paid for.
How long did you live in Chicago for? That nabe you were asking about is called "West Ridge". Is that where you lived?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 31,430,979 times
Reputation: 3798
If you move to WP or UV you won't see that too much because parking isn't as difficult as in some of the denser neighborhoods by the lake.

The thinking is, and to a certain extent I agree with it, that if you spend an hour plus digging your car out from a big storm it's way unfair for some ass to mosey on in and steal that space from you.

My issue is when people do it when we have these itty bitty snow storms -- where you don't dig out at all or it takes you less than 10 minutes or if they hold it for days, weeks on end. But of course, these people are your neighbors and they can make your life living hell if they want to, so most people won't confront them.

And if you park there, there is a good chance you'll end up with slashed tires, broken windows or DIE scratched into the side of your car :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,415,134 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If you move to WP or UV you won't see that too much because parking isn't as difficult as in some of the denser neighborhoods by the lake.

The thinking is, and to a certain extent I agree with it, that if you spend an hour plus digging your car out from a big storm it's way unfair for some ass to mosey on in and steal that space from you.

My issue is when people do it when we have these itty bitty snow storms -- where you don't dig out at all or it takes you less than 10 minutes or if they hold it for days, weeks on end. But of course, these people are your neighbors and they can make your life living hell if they want to, so most people won't confront them.

And if you park there, there is a good chance you'll end up with slashed tires, broken windows or DIE scratched into the side of your car :P
yeah thats pretty hardcore.

and there will always be people that will take advantage of the honor system which is a perfect example of why Socialism doesn't work and why I didn't vote Obama!

See I have never experienced that pettiness in Texas. People just dont get all psycho about stuff like that.

Please I'm not saying we dont have psychos and rude people. I'm just saying for the most part you wouldnt have to worry about people doing something that drastic in retaliation over a spot or anything else comparable since we dont really have parking issues its not a fair comparison but like I said you just dont see that regardless as a common occurance or consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 3,056,803 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If you move to WP or UV you won't see that too much because parking isn't as difficult as in some of the denser neighborhoods by the lake.

The thinking is, and to a certain extent I agree with it, that if you spend an hour plus digging your car out from a big storm it's way unfair for some ass to mosey on in and steal that space from you.

My issue is when people do it when we have these itty bitty snow storms -- where you don't dig out at all or it takes you less than 10 minutes or if they hold it for days, weeks on end. But of course, these people are your neighbors and they can make your life living hell if they want to, so most people won't confront them.

And if you park there, there is a good chance you'll end up with slashed tires, broken windows or DIE scratched into the side of your car :P
I think we are exaggerating this a little too much now. Not saying it can't happen, but come on, broken windows or slashed tires? Having "die" scratched into your car? Unlikely that will ever happen, unless you're living in a really sketchy nabe. Chicagoan's, in my opinon, are some of the least confortational 'city' people I've ever encountered. That's not some kind of dig either, just what I've observered after years of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,415,134 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
How long did you live in Chicago for? That nabe you were asking about is called "West Ridge". Is that where you lived?
Yes thats where I lived in a garden apartment. I will never forget the first time seeing it and being like wtf its in the ground lol. I remember looking out the window and seeing feet lol.
It was a cute little place though and I remember what a nice tree lined street it was. First time I saw so many orthodox jews too! Id seen them before but they were everywhere! They dont talk much though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,415,134 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I think we are exaggerating this a little too much now. Not saying it can't happen, but come on, broken windows or slashed tires? Having "die" scratched into your car? Unlikely that will ever happen, unless you're living in a really sketchy nabe. Chicagoan's, in my opinon, are some of the least confortational 'city' people I've ever encountered. That's not some kind of dig either, just what I've observered after years of living there.
wheeew thats a good thing!
I was being to think Chicago people were angry and unhappy lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
 
504 posts, read 1,483,052 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The thinking is, and to a certain extent I agree with it, that if you spend an hour plus digging your car out from a big storm it's way unfair for some ass to mosey on in and steal that space from you.
I sort of sympathize with this, but it seems like it's related to the whole no one shovels their sidewalk thing. People will shovel the road in front of their house because it gets them a free parking space. With sidewalks, I think the reasoning is this: I won't shovel because if I do, someone else will get the benefit of walking on my sidewalk for free. If everyone on a block would just shovel out their car and clear their sidewalk there would be no problems. But they won't do it because they can't see anything that doesn't directly benefit them.

I'm not saying Chicagoans are more self-centered than other cities, but it's mandatory in other snowy cities to make the tiny length of sidewalk in front of your house passable. It's a good solution.

Quote:
My issue is when people do it when we have these itty bitty snow storms -- where you don't dig out at all or it takes you less than 10 minutes or if they hold it for days, weeks on end. But of course, these people are your neighbors and they can make your life living hell if they want to, so most people won't confront them.
Yeah, this is what really gets on my nerves. Seriously, if there's one or two inches on the ground, the people on my block won't even shovel out the spot, they'll just throw the cone or bucket down on it. Then the snow melts, but the cone somehow remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top