Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,988 times

Advertisements

The best bike, they say, is the bike you will use without thinking twice.

And frankly, that depends to such a degree on where you live and how far you are commuting, that one size fits all rules are hard to come by.

Just out of curiosity: in your heart of hearts, do you consider your bike to be your primary mode of transportation, something you depend on? Or is it a pleasant, rewarding alternative way to get to work?

In other words, necessity or a luxury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
The best bike, they say, is the bike you will use without thinking twice.

And frankly, that depends to such a degree on where you live and how far you are commuting, that one size fits all rules are hard to come by.

Just out of curiosity: in your heart of hearts, do you consider your bike to be your primary mode of transportation, something you depend on? Or is it a pleasant, rewarding alternative way to get to work?

In other words, necessity or a luxury?
Oh, out of those two choices, certainly a luxury. At least in the sense that I could use other transportation. I live right next to the el, a few blocks from the Metra, and right near the intersection of three major streets with bus lines on them.

Furthermore, I work from home.

Still, I don't have a car, and there are many, MANY places that my bike takes me to better, faster, and easier than any other form of transportation could. So is it a necessity? Not as such. Then again, I don't know too many people in the city for whom bikes are the only option.

But it is a pleasant, healthy, relatively inexpensive option that I use every day that weather permits and schedule dictates.

My only caveat is that I bike as much for purpose as for pleasure. I go grocery shopping with my bike. I run errands with my bike. Therefore, if anything, I'd say it's a utility. But also something I use for sport. Hmm. A vehicle I use for sport.... but also utility. Sport. And Utility. And it's a vehicle.

I wish there was a term for something like that.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,936 times
I really like the Lakefront trail, as it's a big non-stop path. During the day, a lot of pedestrians crowd the northern parts. However, I've found once you get past south of the museum campus, it's not bad at all.

Bicycle Path - Chicago Loop to Michigan Border at Bikely.com

Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,848 times
I was reading that handy dandy city provided list of all rules bike related the other day. Can I really not put one of those child seats on the back of my bike? The rules say that bikes are to be single occupancy but I thought that might mean they don't want kids towing each other on handlebars or pegs.

I would ride a lot more if I could tote my little one around with me.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Back when I was an avid cyclist, titanium was all the rage for middle- to upper-end light bikes. Are they still using it these days? And as for carbon fiber being a "new" technology, IIRC Kestrel has been making all-carbon-fiber frames for about 20 years now. Is the verdict still not in yet on carbon fiber as a frame material? I remember being amazed that people would pay $3,000+ for a bicycle. Doesn't sound like much now, but back in the late 80s that was huge money for a bike.
I really havent seen titanium around. I think its more of a "botique" material and limited to the most high-end of bikes. Probably not something you will find in your average bike shop.

I realize carbon has been around for a while, and the safety issue I raised is probably overblown. the tolerances most bikes are built to today should exceed any sort of stress an average user will put it through.

Last edited by via chicago; 03-16-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagosOwnSS View Post
Well I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I live here in Chicago and know just about all of it. I workout on a regular basis. Former college wrestler and all that. But I'm gettin bored with most the stuff I do. This summer I figure I'll pick up some new activities to workout and stay healthy. One of them be biking around. So heres my question.....

I really have no idea what a good/decent/practical bike would be for what I'm interested in. So what is? haha. I briefly brought it up to an employee at sports authority when I was picking up an eliptical for my ex gf and the guy was just ..... clueless. Can't blame him but he wasn't any help at all.

Also other than riding up and down the lake where are some good places to ride leisurely? Some good routes and what-not?

Thanks.
I'll be honest with you. As much as I love biking, and think Chicago is the best place in the world to bike, it is NOT the best place in the world to exercise bike. Too many red lights. Too many pot holes. Too many aggressive drivers. The Lakefront trail provides some relief, but even that has too many strollers and pedestrians. Its hard to get into a true aerobic groove on two wheels in this town, which is why most of us do the urban biking thing insted, which amounts to using the bike the same way and to do the same things you would use a car.

That said, there is a group of hard-core roadies at the Chicago Cycling Club. They are not competitive bicyclers, but they are serious trainers, so if you are looking to get into biking as exercise, those are the guys you should be talking to:

Key to Ride Program

Anyone else contemplating making the bicycle a bigger part of their life should look into the CCC's weekend recreational rides, which not only provide off beat / off the beaten path views of things and places around the city, they provide excellent hands-on experience in street riding in Chicago. The ride leaders are all VERY experienced and take their educational mission seriously, making it a good place to learn and get comfortable with city riding. Here's their website:

Chicago Cycling Club Home Page

The ride schedule is here:

Chicago Cycling Club Ride Schedule

Their April meeting is down in my neck of the woods, at Working Bikes, where they are going to get a tour of the new facility, so anyone wanting to check out Working bikes AND CCC can kill two birds with one stone:

Chicago Cycling Club Monthly Meetings

Best of luck.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 AM

818 posts, read 2,161,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Yuo may also want to check out the
Chicagoland Bicycle Federation

- Chicagoland Bicycle Federation
Unfortunately, the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation decided last November to change it's name to the Active Transportation Alliance, with an expanded mission that basically includes every transportation method besides driving. Upon reading the blog/posts at their site recently, it seriously does not appear as if riding a bicycle for exercise (or even fun) is anywhere near their #1 priority. I really enjoy riding my bicycle in Chicago (mainly in the summer), and I think on many of the major bikeways such as Elston, there are enough bicyclers on the road to make it fairly safe as long as you are smart and obedient to traffic laws. However, it saddens me to say, that if your interest is primarily bicycling for enjoyment and staying in shape, rather than patting yourself on the back for lower Carbon emissions, you might want to look outside this particular group.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, alls I'll say is that I bought an early 80's Trek road bike a couple years ago, put a little care into it, and have ridden it without incident for hundreds of miles over several years.
Cool. Now I don't feel like a dork being "old school". I have a 20 year old Trek 1000 with the shift levers on the down frame tube. Regular tune-ups and a new deraiileur last year and it has been good for thousands of miles. It is fast, but it will wear you out on the 50+ mile rides. I love doing centurys zipping past younger riders in their fancy new bikes. I might get a newer bike, but this one fits like a pair of old Levi's.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
my fondest bike memories are of cycling the outskirts of chicago in autumn. so beautiful.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
If I wanted a new bike that would serve as a leisurely weekend activity or a possible future commute, what's the least I could spend to get a good bike? Can it be done under $400?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago