Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Awwwww, home sweet home. Can you believe I lived there for almost 11 years?
You were lucky....That country is so beautiful.... I'll never forget the breathtaking waterfalls, the mountain vistas, the flocks of parakeets, toucans, and the most delectable snowcone I purchased from a street vendor... it had shaved ice, fresh coconut, mango, papaya, and some other mysterious sweet local fruits. Probably the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. Where can I find a snowcone like that in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Well warm is anything 70 and up so long as it isnt cloudy with lots of sun shining.

Ive heard people say it gets really hot in Chicago. I was surprised by this.

I just hope the humidity is nothing like Houston.
Well Chicago weather is VERY volitile between November and May. It could be 74 in March like it was last week, or it could be 25. It's actually suppose to be in the 50's for the next 10 days, so I'm not complaining about that. Once we hit April, chances are things are finished as far as actual winter temperatures.

If you go by averages though:

Chicago gets above 70 degrees 142 days a year

Chicago gets above 50 degrees 238 days a year

Chicago doesn't get above 40 degrees 74 days a year

July and August are the most stable months, where the average temperatures stick right at about 83 degrees for two months straight.

It can get really hot in the summer, but it just depends. Last summer was amazing. I think only a handful of days in the 90's, and a handful of days in the 70's. Otherwise 80's is the norm.

The record high in Chicago is actually above 70 degrees every month of the year except January, where our record high is only 67 degrees.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
You were lucky....That country is so beautiful.... I'll never forget the breathtaking waterfalls, the mountain vistas, the flocks of parakeets, toucans, and the most delectable snowcone I purchased from a street vendor... it had shaved ice, fresh coconut, mango, papaya, and some other mysterious sweet local fruits. Probably the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. Where can I find a snowcone like that in Chicago?
Well, I loved in San Jose - a crappy, overpopulated, polluted, crime-infested city. Makes Chicago seem like the Garden of Eden.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Well, I loved in San Jose - a crappy, overpopulated, polluted, crime-infested city. Makes Chicago seem like the Garden of Eden.
Too bad... I only went briefly to San Jose for the hospital and the supermercado... I thought the part of the country where I stayed was like a Garden of Eden though...

Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
LOVE him! I am the female version of him. I might eat a cockroach in a bind - though I wouldn't drink my own urine.
Bear is so much better than that wimpy "Survivorman." And much more attractive (DH knows I have a crush on him).
The guy on Survivorman (Les Stroud) actually goes into the wilderness, by himself and makes it. He even films himself. No crew. He has a Sat phone for emergencies.

Grylls? He stays in hotels. TV 'survival king' stayed in hotels - Times Online

So if you're the female version of him, you're kind of a faker.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well Chicago weather is VERY volitile between November and May. It could be 74 in March like it was last week, or it could be 25. It's actually suppose to be in the 50's for the next 10 days, so I'm not complaining about that. Once we hit April, chances are things are finished as far as actual winter temperatures.

If you go by averages though:

Chicago gets above 70 degrees 142 days a year

Chicago gets above 50 degrees 238 days a year

Chicago doesn't get above 40 degrees 74 days a year

July and August are the most stable months, where the average temperatures stick right at about 83 degrees for two months straight.

It can get really hot in the summer, but it just depends. Last summer was amazing. I think only a handful of days in the 90's, and a handful of days in the 70's. Otherwise 80's is the norm.

The record high in Chicago is actually above 70 degrees every month of the year except January, where our record high is only 67 degrees.
I check the Chicago weather, and the average per year is 60 degrees.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I check the Chicago weather, and the average per year is 60 degrees.
He was talking record high temps. And he's correct, Chicago has record highs over 70 degrees in all months except January, where its only reached 67 degrees.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's actually suppose to be in the 50's for the next 10 days, so I'm not complaining about that.
What forecast did you see? Ive seen only 2 days in the 50s, with several days in the 60s and some into the 70s:
www.wgntv.com - weather

Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The guy on Survivorman (Les Stroud) actually goes into the wilderness, by himself and makes it. He even films himself. No crew. He has a Sat phone for emergencies.

Grylls? He stays in hotels. TV 'survival king' stayed in hotels - Times Online

So if you're the female version of him, you're kind of a faker.
Oh come on... I'm sure there is a lot of faking on both shows... My point was that Bear looks better "faking" in the wilderness... Are you in the Les Stroud fan club?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Oh come on... I'm sure there is a lot of faking on both shows... My point was that Bear looks better "faking" in the wilderness... Are you in the Les Stroud fan club?
I'm definitely in the Les Stroud fan club. While Bear does do some pretty crazy stuff, most of it is very stupid risks that would kill most people in the situation.

Les might not be flashy, but if I had to pick someone to be dependent upon for survival, it would be Les.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: